- Text Size +
“No excuses we are going to the movies! Today I will show you that going out can be really fun! Is there a Starbucks around this town?” he asked as he looked around.

“I think its down Main, Gibbs was hooked to the frappucino’s. He would always have one in hand and he always brought me one.” She got a sad face as she remembered her best friend. She hadn’t told him about AJ yet, she was sure he wouldn’t believe her anyway. Why would he believe that a famous person would be her friend!

“Ok, I need directions to Main,” said AJ as he saw the sad look on her face. He really had outdone himself with her makeover. Well except for the horrible glasses and the braces. But, he had to admit she looked much better.

She looked up at him and forcing a smile gave him the directions to Starbucks. She was nervous; she looked very different to her usual wardrobe. What would the people in town say? Would they even notice? She wanted to run back to her sanctuary and never come out. She was to busy thinking about what people would think about her, she hadn’t realized that AJ had already parked.

“Ok, my Mona Lisa lets go!” he smiled and squeezed her shoulder for reassurance.

“AJ! What did I tell you? I don’t want you to call me that!” she frowned in disappointment.

“Hey I am keeping my promise,” he said as he looked at her. “I didn’t call you Ramona nor did I call you Mona! I did use your middle name Lisa! Come on quit being so negative and embrace your name with glory! Besides that’s what I will call you only. Because you do remind me of Mona Lisa, she never smiled and she thought she was ugly till Di’Vinci came along and was able to make her smile!” he said as he opened the door and got out.

She had to laugh at his explanation about the Mona Lisa painting. The truth was he did make her smile, she was smiling. He had called her his Mona Lisa, she had to admit that had sounded so real, but the truth was she wasn’t his; Sarah was his. She was just a friend that he had come to appreciate. She was surprised when she felt the door to her side open and a hand extended to her.

“Come on now, get off!” he said as he offered his hand. He smiled with pride as she stepped out, she looked so different to the first time he had seen her. The jeans accentuated her hips and made her look tall and slim. Yeah he had done a good job, now if he could only convince her to cut her hair and add color to it. He stopped staring and walked to the door with her by his side.

She stopped in her tracks and turned to walk the opposite way. Her nightmare was in the coffee house with her friends. She didn’t want to get seen by anybody especially them! She had to get out of there; she did not need Jenny’s opinion. She was stopped by a grip on her hand.

“Hey, where are you going? I don’t have my cup of coffee yet, that means we haven’t bought it yet? What’s wrong?” he asked her as he lifted her chin so she could face him.

“I can’t go in there! Can you just take me home I don’t think I handle anything else today!” she said as she looked into the coffee house again. Terror was being seen through her hazel eyes.

“Why? Tell me or else we won’t go,” he said as he stood in front of her.

“Well, Jenny is in there and I just - don’t think I can handle her at the moment.” She answered as she rolled her eyes in discomfort.

“Oh, don’t sweat her; she probably won’t even recognize you! And if she does don’t worry we will handle it, just promise to follow my lead ok?” he said as he grabbed her by the hand and without another word pulled into the coffee house.

She quickly went to a far corner taking a seat, “you go and get what you want, I will wait here,” she said with worry in her tone. She didn’t want to get seen by them, she would only be embarrassed in front of him.

“Ok, I can do that, what you want?” he asked as he took a seat next to her. He patted her on the leg to reassure her everything was going to be ok. He now realized how much damage some words can do. Made him realize he had some apologies to give out when he returned to California. Kevin really had gotten it from him when he had confronted him about his problem. He shook away his past and smiling left her alone to go get the coffee. “Excuse me ladies he said as he walked passed Jenny and her friends.”

“Who’s the hunk?” asked Jenny to her friends as they saw him pass by. “He must be new in town because I haven’t seen him before,” she whispered to her friends. “Maybe I should offer myself to show him around this lousy town. I mean I am staying here for a few weeks anyway. Why would a hottie like him choose to live here in this town? I am so glad I got accepted at Florida State, now I just come to visit!” she watched him as he ordered his coffee. “He ordered two,” she whispered to her group of friends. She watched him go through with the two cups in hand. “So are you new in town?”

He stopped in his tracks as he heard one of the girls speak. “As a matter of fact I am,” he smiled as she turned to face the group of girls. “I am here visiting family, this is a lovely little town, well I have to go, but nice meeting you ladies,” he turned to walk away.

“Oh, but we didn’t get your name,” said Jenny as she stood up.

“Oh, right, well I am James,” he said as he looked backed with a smile.

“Nice to meet you James, so who are visiting in this town? You know I was born and raised here so I know everyone in this town like the palm of my hand.” She got in front of him with a big smile on her face.

“Well, if you insist actually my mother she bought this house not to long ago, so here I am helping her get settled.” He smiled back at her; she was cute but not his type. To much makeup and well she looked like she got around often. He got around her and made his way to Lisa. “I got you a frappucino,” as he handed her the cup.

“What were they telling you? Did they see me? They did, didn’t they?” she said with nervousness as she looked toward them.

“Calm down, they didn’t even mention you. They just introduced themselves to me, wait no I introduced myself to them. He saw the look of horror on her face and knew exactly why, as he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around and sure enough there they stood.

“Listen we are having this party at Kari’s house on Saturday night. She is heading back to college so we are throwing a goodbye bash for her. I am Jenny by the way,” she smiled and extended her hand.

“Thanks for the invitation but, I can’t go I have plans already,” he said he shook her hand. He then grabbed Lisa’s hand in his, “unless my girl prefers to go to your party,” he faced her with a grin on his face.

“Ramona?” she looked closer and saw the horrible glasses recognizing her. She laughed but quickly stopped, “Ramona, wow you’ve changed since last time I was here, right girls?” she turned to her little group of girls.

“We – I want to go,” she said as she stood up. She could feel all of them staring her at her. She felt his arm around her waist his voice close to her. She got the strength to walk and without looking at any of them walked toward the exit. The only thing she felt was his hand warm and comforting around her waist.

“I guess that’s a no, sorry ladies. It was nice meeting you all though.” He waved to them and opened the door to the coffee house. Once they were outside he sighed and laughed, “You did it my Mona Lisa you left them with there mouths wide open. Did you see the look on that Jenny girl?” He could see them still staring at them from the window and got an even better idea. He turned her to face him, “follow my lead, because we still have an audience,” he said as he put his cup of coffee on one the tables outside the coffee house. He then slowly cupped her face with his hand.

She felt his grip get tighter around her waist, she suddenly felt out of breath. “I don’t think – I can’t. I never kissed anyone before,” she said in a whisper as her eyes automatically closed when his face got near hers. “I don’t think this is rii – ght.” It was too late she felt his lips on hers. If it wouldn’t have been for the fact that his arm was around her she would have fallen. So many things ran through her head as she felt his mouth on hers, she didn’t think she could kiss, but with him it was like she knew. She willingly allowed him into her mouth, for a few seconds she wasn’t her. She was his girl, then as quick as it happened it came to an end. She opened her eyes and saw into his. They looked scared for the first time since she had met him.

He cleared his throat and grabbed his coffee, “I think that should work,” he said he walked with her by his side to the car. Once she was in the car he took a deep breath, he wasn’t supposed to French kiss her. He was only going to give her a friendly peck. Why couldn’t he stop himself from going that far? He shook away the weird feelings he had gotten from that kiss and got into the car. He silently turned the car on and drove away…