- Text Size +
“Ok open them!” he said as he removed the handkerchief from around her face.

“You know I already knew we were at the beach,” she said as she looked around. “I am not deaf AJ I heard the waves splashing into the sand since we arrived. So what is so fun about the beach?” she said as she smiled at him. She had sensed a little awkwardness since that kiss at the coffee shop. She wanted to believe it was her but she knew it was him too.

“Well, since this is officially my last day in Florida, I wanted to come down here and sit with someone I can just be me with.” He said as he shrugged and started to take off his shoes. “We can watch the sunset and talk, today I just want to talk,” he said as he grabbed the bag he had brought with him and pulled her to a more secluded area of the beach. He took out a small blanket and placed it on the sand. “Well let’s have a seat,” he said as he sat down.

She smiled and stared down at him, he looked different to her. He definitely looked different from the first day they met. She finally sighed and took a seat beside him. “So what are we talking about?” she said as she turned to face him.

“I don’t know really, I just feel sad I guess. See, I am going to miss my Mona Lisa! I really had a great time with you, you’re a great friend. I think we both helped each other get over some harsh stuff in our pasts.” He looked at her and smiled as he saw her looking at him with a look of sadness. “Oh, I don’t mean to make this a sad moment though, I just thought I should let you know that in you I found a great friend. I am very grateful about that.”

“I have something to add to what you just said,” she said in a whisper. “I want to thank you for making me feel confidant about me. Thank you for making me feel pretty, I enjoyed your company and your critique on my art. I am going to miss you a lot; I will go back to being the loner.” She turned her face so he wouldn’t see her eyes fill with tears. She wished she could have the courage to tell him that he meant more to her than just a friend, but she couldn’t do that and risk loosing his friendship. Which was all he offered to her? “You know I really never liked the beach, I just couldn’t picture myself here in a swimsuit, but now I think I can, thanks to you and your mom of course.”

He smiled as he heard her speak with confidence, “I wish you would be a little bolder though and try to wear something sexy or sassy for once. You’re a beautiful girl; you just don’t want to accept it.” He sighed and stared out into the ocean, “you know I am scared to shit, because I know tomorrow when I leave this town, I will be heading back to my reality. To chaos, I need to apologize to some people for my behavior and then I want to speak to Nick, Howie, Brian and especially Kevin. I want to record another CD I just don’t think we are ready to let go of that dream we all had years ago in Orlando. I remember how excited we all were when we heard that our music was a hit. Sure it took a while to have hit in our country but, those tours in Europe were so great. To feel all the excited yet scary feeling when all this girls and people are screaming for us to sing, I miss that. To think this is all my fault…” he sighed and quickly got a pack of cigarettes from his pocket lighting one up with the speed of light.

“You shouldn’t be scared; you should be glad and confident. All those people that you have to apologize to love you and I am sure they are going to forgive you because all that stuff you said to them won’t matter. You know why? Because it was all worth it they got AJ or Alex back the one they knew and loved. The sweet, caring, sappy, and quirky guy that I was lucky to meet myself, your one of kind.” She thought for a second and then she did it she gave him a hug.

He was surprised to feel her arms wrap around his neck. He smiled and returned the hug; it was a genuine hug from someone he now cared for. He closed his eyes as their hug lingered, making him remember the kiss. He was glad he was about to leave, because he was starting to get scared of the feelings he was getting for her. He couldn’t love her, she was not for him. She deserved someone better and he couldn’t like her like that. Finally he released his grip making her do the same? “Thanks I needed that hug,” he then just stared out into the beach. “Are you thirsty? I brought some coke, cookies, crackers with cheese, and of course cigarettes, but I think you don’t want those.” He then opened a coke for himself and took a drink.

“Thanks but I’m not thirsty yet and I had a big lunch so I am ok right now. Are you serious we are staying till sundown?” she asked as she shivered a little. The breeze was getting a little cooler about as cold as it would get during fall.

“Well yeah of course, shit I forgot to bring another blanket I just didn’t think it would get cold.” He said as he looked at her rubbing her arms for warmth.

“It’s ok I think it’s just me, I am very cold person meaning I get cold easily. Its not like I am going to die, I will be fine,” she smiled at him.

He smiled and with that he took off his shirt, showing of his toned abs and arms. “Hear cover your arms I really don’t need it we are at the beach, besides I am not cold,” he handed the shirt to her and smiled as she hesitantly took it.

“She wrapped his shirt around her arms; she closed her eyes as the smell of his cologne hit her nose.” He smelled so good, she still shivered but, she knew it wasn’t because of the breeze it was because of him. She shook away her thoughts and spoke, “Do they hurt?”

“What?” he asked as he turned to face her.

“I mean does it hurt when you get a tattoo?” she said as she pointed to his arm.

“well it depends the ones on my arms were a piece of cake, but some were painful for a while but once they start working on the tattoo your skin gets numb and you don’t feel it anymore.” He said to her.

“Oh, I think I would die if I got one, I saw on T.V. how this one girl got one done on her lower back. Man that was bad she was bleeding like crazy and she looked like she was in pain. I said to myself after that to forget my idea of ever getting a tattoo!” she told him.

“Wait you wanted a tattoo? Really? When was this?” he asked her.

“Well one day I was watching an episode on Friends, where Rachel and Phoebe go get a tattoo and then I got this silly idea that one day I would also get a tattoo done on me. A heart or rose on my lower belly area like Rachel’s” she smiled at her stupid idea.

“I think you should do it. It would be something bold and sexy.” He said as he winked at her.

“No, it was just a silly idea I really don’t think I want one,” she rolled her eyes at him.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“My mother is going to be freaked usually I am home before six and today I am still out. What time is it?” she asked as she put on her shoes, they had stayed way past sunset.
“Its, only nine don’t worry I am sure she knows your ok. You a big girl now you can take care of yourself. Tell you what call her,” he said as he handed her his cell phone. “Let her know that you’re ok and that you will be home by midnight.”

“What!” she asked as she looked at him with surprise. “Aren’t we going home already?”

“Well yeah but it’s an hour drive there and I want to pass and get something at a store. It might take me a little while to find what I need, so to be on the safe side, tell her by midnight. I promise we will try to get there before.” He gave her a grin and folded the blanket to put it back inside the bag.


“You know I don’t like your grin, it always involves you doing something crazy and getting me involved.” She gave him a serious look.

“What? Your just seeing to much, see I told you those glasses need to go.” He giggled and walked passed her to the car.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

He smiled as he saw his target. He turned to look at her, she had dozed off. She looked so peaceful and she had a smile on her face. She was going to be ok; he had done a good thing. Tomorrow he would wipe his plate clean; his so called friends would be the first to leave. He had new friends and the looks didn’t matter. Finally he found a parking space and parked, “hey, wake up we’re here.” He stirred her and smiled as he saw her hazel eyes look at him.

She stretched and yawned, “Sorry, I must really be tired. All this going out has worn me out I guess. But you know what? It was all worth it, cause for the first time I actually had fun. So where are we?” she asked as she looked out the window only making her mouth open wide. “NO, no way!” she turned to face him with a surprise and scared face.

“Oh, come on I will get one too. I promise it won’t hurt. I will be with you through all the process if it hurts you can do whatever you want to me.” He smiled to her and opened the door to his side.

She couldn’t believe it she was going to do it. She sighed heavily and got out the car, the truth was if she was ever going to do anything bold it would have to be with someone like him by her side. She looked at him and sighed again, “Your bad influence AJ,” she pointed to him. “But, I think I need this kind of influence, so I will do this but you have to be there all the way. Because I am scared; that I am surprised I haven’t wet my pants. Ok let’s do this before I chicken out!” she grabbed his hand and felt fireworks at contact. She felt even bolder and pulled him toward the tattoo parlor.

He was caught off guard by her impulsive decision; he truly was the master of convincing. Her aggressiveness made her eyes glow and made his stomach feel uneasy. When he felt her hand on his, he could have sworn he felt electricity pass through his body. He put his thought aside as they walked in and there ears were invaded by the loud music. “First we have to choose what you want,” he said into her ear and at the same time pointing to the wall full of designs.

“Actually I have a design in mind I would like to have done,” she said as she smiled at him. She had it all down in her head what she wanted done. “I just need a pencil and paper,” she said and looked around the large room.

“Hey welcome to Mat’s tattoo parlor where we never say no to any challenge! My name is Pete but everyone around here calls me Sly. So what can I help you with today?” he asked as he pointed to the wall of designs.

“Well actually my friend here has her own design in mind can you do that for us?” he asked as he smiled to the big man.

“Of course just to let you know it will cost a little extra though,” he said as he used his hand to emphasize that money did the talking.

“That won’t be an issue; do you have a piece of paper and pencil?” he said as he squeezed her shoulder to reassure her everything would be ok. He accepted the pencil and paper from the man. “Thank you; just give us a few minutes she needs to put down her idea on this paper.” He handed her the paper and walked her to one of the plastic chairs.

She takes a seat and quickly started to sketch her idea onto the paper, “Don’t look yet, let me finish” she said as she felt him over her shoulder trying to take a look.

A few minutes later he saw her stand up and sigh. She was done, he smiled this was it she was going through with it. “Great, so can I see it?” he said as he snatched the paper from her hand. He felt a lump form on his throat as he saw the design it was nice and meaningful. “I think its awesome, you sure you want this done though its much bigger than that heart Rachel got on that episode on friends.” He said as he handed her the paper.

“Yeah I know but, I thought to myself I might as well get something worth the pain.” She said as she walked toward Sly. She wanted something that would remind her of this moment she had just experienced. She just had the feeling that after today she might never get to see him again. Even though he said he would stay in contact, she knew better. So why not at least have this tattoo to remind her of this unique friendship. “Hey Mr. Sly I am ready,” she said with confidence as she handed him the piece of paper.

“Its Sly only kid,” he said as he looked at the paper. “Nice your talented kid, so where will I be tattooing this?” he asked with a grin on his face.

“Well I thought about that and after thinking it through I think this would look good in two places. One my lower back or two my lower stomach area, now considering that I am coward when it comes to needles I choose one, my back. What do you think?” she asked AJ who was quiet.

“Lower back sounds good,” he said quickly not really wanting to give his opinion. He suddenly felt bad, was she having feelings for him? He couldn’t forgive himself if she did. She was not for him, besides she deserved someone better. He forced himself to pay attention to what was happening, he would think about this later.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

He turned off the engine and pulled out the keys. “We’re home,” he said to her. “Come on I will walk you to your house,” with that he stepped out of the car. He then helped her out of the car.

“Thank you, for today” she told him as she walked toward the exit of the garage. “Oh, you were right it wasn’t painful, only for a few seconds than I didn’t feel a thing.” She laughed and rubbed her lower back.

“Don’t worry the swelling will come down just keep putting on that ointment Sly gave you.” He giggled too; he walked out of the garage too. “Now come on lets get you home,” he said as he started to walk toward her house.

“My parents are asleep by now,” she said in a whisper as she looked for her keys. “Hey, AJ I have something for you. I want to give it to you right now because I won’t be able to see you go tomorrow. I have to work, you know how that is.” She opened the door to her house letting herself in. She waited for him to come in, she then signaled for him to be quiet and to follow her. The house was dark except for the plug-ins her mother had place on the hall giving a dim light. She finally made it to the room she wanted and turned the light on. She pulled him in fast shutting the door behind them fast. “Sorry I just don’t want to wake my parents,” she said as she smiled to him. Wait here,” she told him as she went into the back of the room, she finally grabbed what she wanted. She got the painting and turned it around for him to see it. “I want you to have it,” she said as she handed it to him.

He took the painting and smiled as he remembered the first day they had hung out and she had shown him her work. He had really liked this one, it was abstract but it was mesmerizing, “wow, really? Thanks, my Mona Lisa I will hang it on my studio at home,” he put aside the painting and gave her a hug. “Thank you,” he told her as he let go of her.

“AJ?” she said and paused not really sure of what she was going to tell him. She just wanted him to stay; she just had this overwhelming feeling in her that she just couldn’t describe. She didn’t know what it was but she felt the urge to kiss him and to ask him to not go. For once if she could break out of the shell, she would fight for something she felt. She smiled to him and spoke, “thank you for tonight I had a blast. I will truly miss you, please stay in contact at least by email ok?” she said as she caressed his cheek. She closed her eyes as she traced his face with her hands. She could feel tears threatening to come out, when suddenly she felt his hand on her face.

He was about to leave but was stopped by her calling, now there he was staring at her. Something inside him told him to go now, but there was also something telling him to follow his instinct. He had lost his breath when he had felt her hand on his face and though he knew that he shouldn’t be there he couldn’t move. Something was holding him in place and he too let go of his reason. He too caressed her face and slowly removed her glasses making her open her eyes, exposing her charming eyes. He got his face closer to hers and he could see the tears forming inside her eyes. His bottom lip quivered or so he thought as he inched in and took her mouth with his. Her lips so soft and new to the sensation of a kiss, he knew he was the first man to have kissed her. The way she shivered told him she was new to this, he broke the kiss and looked into her eyes. They showed fear yet they told him it was ok; he kissed her again and then continued a trail of kisses down her neck.

She didn’t know what to do but it was like he told her what to do with the way he touched her. She was now pinned between him and the door only feeling like she was not her. Suddenly the room was super warm and his kisses were getting intense. She was in a subliminal bliss, she didn’t know why but she was loosing control of her own feet. She hadn’t realized that her shirt was now on the floor and that AJ was now staring at her intently. She opened her eyes after she couldn’t feel his touch or kisses, she suddenly became conscious of the situation and looked to the floor not wanting to look at him.

“Lisa, I can’t, I’m sorry,” he paused and handed her shirt back. He sighed out loud and turned around not wanting to see her.

She didn’t understand why, she wanted him to do it. Then she realized why, she was repulsive and ugly, no matter what she wore she was still ugly. She started to put her shirt back on and spoke, “No, I am sorry, I should have known better. I don’t deserve you or anyone’s love, I am a loner!” she said as she wiped away the tears rolling down her face. “Maybe you should go and really I am sorry. I’ve should’ve known better, why did I for a second think you would look at me in any other way right?” she grabbed the door knob but was stopped by his hand on hers.

He sighed as he squeezed her hand which was ready to open the door, “you’re wrong, I know that there is someone out there that will love you with their heart and soul. Someone that will appreciate and cherish every moment with you, which will look into your beautiful eyes smiling because he will know that he is one of the luckiest men in the world, but that person isn’t me. My dear Mona Lisa you deserve someone better than me, someone that will only love you. I can’t deny and say that lately I haven’t felt something more towards you, but I love Sarah. I love Sarah she is the one for me, that’s why I can’t do this because I love you enough to not want to hurt you like that, because at the end of it all I would still choose Sarah. She’s the one for me; you will find someone I know, someone that will love you profoundly.” He let go of her hand and grabbed his gift he could hear her soft moans.

She now had the door open waiting for him to get out, “it was nice meeting you and goodbye…” she said as she avoided his face. She walked out and quickly made it to the front door she quickly opened the door for him.

“I am sorry,” he whispered and looked back at her, “I will call you and I will never forget your friendship. Remember that in me you will always have a friend, please forgive me I didn’t mean for this to happen,” he leaned in and kissed her tear stained cheek. He walked away slowly, not knowing exactly why his heart felt pain.