- Text Size +
She took a deep breath and with her head up walked to the door, without knocking she opened it. “Dad we need to talk,” she said as she walked in closing the door behind her. She took a seat on a chair and crossed her legs as she patiently waited for her dad to say something.

He was a little surprised by the way she spoke to him; she never had spoken like that before to him. He put away the papers he was going through and spoke, “ok, well let’s talk dear,” he stared at her.

“Ok,” she said and stood up, “I quit dad, I quit this job today! I don’t want to do this and I don’t want to wait for my cousin to come. I also I want to let you know that I am moving out, I’m going to New York. I need a change and why not New York? I leave tomorrow,” she finally took a deep breath.

He couldn’t believe what he was hearing his baby was ready to fly away. He didn’t know if he should be happy, sad, or mad the truth was he was all three. “I want to tell you that you’re not allowed to quit and that you can’t, but the truth is that I can’t stop you. I am sad because I didn’t think this day would come, where you – would tell me that you’re leaving my side. Sweetie, this is great but it’s hurting my heart,” he couldn’t hold it anymore tears were coming down his cheeks. “When? When did you come to this conclusion? Why?” he asked as he looked at his daughter, she looked so different to the Lisa he knew. She was a miserable sappy girl, but now he saw anger, hate and so many other emotions in her beautiful eyes.

“I don’t know why, but I got this idea in my head that I want to accomplish and to do so I have to get out of here. I am scared to death with my decision but, we all have to make life changing decisions right?” she said as she kissed her fathers cheek.

“Yes we all do Lisa, you already told your mother right?” he said as he patted her hand.

“Yeah, I was hoping you could help me with that one,” she giggled and hugged her dad.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“I promise hairy, I’ll come back for you,” she petted his head. It was like he knew she was leaving. She looked through her room one more time making sure she didn’t forget anything. She sat in her bed for the last time, if she could go back in time and change anything she would change meeting him. Because even though he helped, he also broke her heart, her heart was meant to be broken forever. She knew he was right when he told her he did not see her as more than a friend, since the beginning all he had offered was his friendship. Yet? She did not understand why she felt like he felt more than that toward her. Maybe it was her all along making things up in her head that weren’t there, he was engaged and to a beautiful woman. Why would he leave her, for a poor ugly girl? She took off her glasses and set them on her nightstand, this was the last time she would be seen with them, and she then got her contacts out. She sighed as she heard a soft knock on her door, “come in,” she said as she put her contacts case in her purse.

“Hey, your mom told me about your departure to New York. I thought it would be ok if I came by to say goodbye,” she smiled as she closed the door behind her. She could see her tense up; she could see the sadness in her eyes. “I’m going to miss you,” she told her as she gave a hug.

“Oh, Ms. McLean I am going to miss you too,” she said in a sad tone. She let go of her and walked toward the window in her room, looking out of it trying to ignore her stare. “I just realized I need to move on from my past and I think New York will help. Besides Gibbs my best friend is anxious to see me.”

“Well I think it’s a great idea, especially when you’re trying to forget someone that doesn’t see you the way you want them to see you. It’s better to not be around the places that remind you about that person,” she told her as she walked toward her. “Look Mona, Alex told me everything and he really loves you, as friend. It really hurt him to tell you no, but you have to understand, he loves Sarah. I have to admit though that you helped him realize there is more out there than he thought, you made him change in so many levels. I love my son and I support his decision, but at the same time I have come to love you, so please no matter how hurt you are about my son. I want you to know that I am here for anything,” she handed her a business card. “I think that you should give this person a call and show him some of your work; I know he will love it as much as I did. This will help you get over him and before you know it you will find Mr. Right.”

She didn’t know what to say, she took the card and put it in her pocket. She was in shock, she knew everything, and she didn’t know if she should cry or hide from her embarrassment. How could he tell her everything? “Thank you and I appreciate your help I might need it. I will take your word on being my friend and as so I would like to ask you for a favor?” she looked straight at her as she spoke.

“Yeah sure anything,” she smiled, fearing as she knew it wasn’t something good.

“I don’t want AJ to know anything about me; if he calls and asks please don’t say a thing. After that night I really don’t think I could ever face him again. Just if he asks let him know that I understand and wish him the uttermost happiness with Sarah. I want to move on like you said and for that I need time till then I don’t want him to know anything about me. I really am sorry for falling for him, I don’t know why and when it happened it just did…” she started to cry as she spoke.

“I won’t say a thing to him till your ready, I promise,” she said as she hugged her one more time.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

She turned the volume to her ipod to the highest; as she secretly wished she could go back and forget her whole idea. Maybe she wasn’t cut off for this whole I am independent woman crap, the truth was she as afraid of heights and she was pretty high at the moment. The stewardess handed her the glass of water she had asked her for. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, she could do this nothing could happen right? Maybe if she slept she wouldn’t think about the fact that she was on a plane flying from Florida to New York. She closed her eyes trying to get a little sleep.

He waited patiently for her arrival, what he didn’t understand how different she sounded. She had changed and now she sounded more confident he smiled thinking of her. His Lizzie was coming to live here with him; he had truly missed her during his first month apart from her. Now she was coming and be with him here at his most important time in his life.

“You’re going to make a hole on the ground” he told him as he grabbed his hand. “I’m sure she’s ok and will be landing here in a couple more minutes” he smiled to him.

“I know I just can’t help to worry, see you don’t know Lizzie like I do. This, which she is doing, is not like her at all, she has changed and it kind of scares me,” he said as he emphasized his worry.

“No your right I don’t know her but, I do know that by you walking around it won’t change the fact that she is coming.” He said as he sighed, “I just hope she likes me,” he looked down to the floor.

“She will Steve, I know she will. Lizzie will love you and your eccentric character,” he squeezed his hand. He hadn’t told her yet about Steve and him but she would understand him right? Yeah, she was she was his confidant and best friend almost sister.

She felt a light squeeze on her shoulder and fluttered her eyes open. She smiled as she heard the flight attendant say they had arrived to New York. She got anxious as she stood up to get out off the plane. She had so many things to tell Gilbert and what would he think of her new look, would he recognize her?

He waited searched through crowd for her; he suddenly panicked what if she hadn’t come after all. He knew that would happen Lizzie was not the type to be this spontaneous. He felt sad he was putting his own hopes down; he had so many things to tell her. He then felt a tap on his shoulder and turned around to see. He was perplexed as he saw the girl in front him, he hesitated for a second before he realized it as his Lizzie. Her hazel eyes had given her away, “oh my god, you look different but in a good way,” he said with a wide grin on his face. He hugged her tightly not wanting to let go, “you’re here with me,” he said as he finally let her go.

Once he let her go she took a deep breath, “I am,” she told him as she smiled back at him. She finally notice the man behind him, he looked emotional as he witnessed there encounter. She cleared her throat to get Gilberts attention toward him also.

“Oh, right sorry Steve! Lizzie this is Steve my partner,” he smiled at her as she presented him to her.

Why, did all the gay men she knew so hot? She thought to herself as she shook his hand. “Wow, nice to meet you,” she smiled to him trying not to make it obvious that she was a little awestruck by his physical appearance.

She definitely did not look like Gilbert had described her. He thought to himself as he shook her hand.