- Text Size +
It had been an awkward week for Trish. To have to pretend everything was fine between her and Alex. Till today as she helped Denise bring Alex into his new home a good forty five minutes away from the city. “It’s gorgeous,” she whispered as she looked at his view.

“I know I have to really thank Mark for this,” he told Trish as he lay in his bed. “I think it’s safe to tell mom now that I am of a better condition.”

“Good because I was not planning on staying here for anyone’s sake,” Trish said as she took a seat on the bed careful not hurt him.

“Tell me what?” Denise asked as she walked in with three glasses of tea.

Trish groaned and looked at Alex, “I think Alex should be the one to tell you,” she said as she stood up.

“Mom,” Alex said giving her a smile. “I screwed up again and now I am getting a divorce.”

Denise looked confused and turned to look at Trish. “Is it true? Since when?”

“I moved out almost a month ago a week before my birthday. I couldn’t pretend anymore Denise and now we’re fine. We still see each other as friends.” Trish said looking down at the floor. One was for sure she had nothing bad to say about her mother in law and that made this conversation much more painful.

“I just can’t believe its true… wow.” Denise said taking a seat on the bed.

“Mom please… I think its best if we both are not happy not to pretend anymore.” Alex said eyeing Trish. She looked guilty as if she had done something horrible by telling his mother the news about there divorce. “I actually have been on a few dates, I am sure Trish too. Right?” he asked trying to keep his façade.

“I – guess you’re right I mean I’ve been divorced before.” She looked at his son and smiled as she saw the look on his face. He still loved Trish there was more to his look too.

*******

Alex struggled with his one crutch as he made his way to the kitchen. “I’m fine mom I have to try if not I won’t heal fast.” He told his mother as he slowly took a seat on one of the chairs in the kitchen table. “It smells good,” he said as he saw his mom making breakfast.

“Good because I am doing it for you,” she told him as she went to get a plate to serve him. “I already fed your babies and walked them… they are loving the beach.” She told him as she served him.

Alex smiled, “that means might have a chance win them in court,” he said before taking a fork full of pancakes to his mouth.

Denise eyed him curiously, “we have to talk more about this divorce…” she said after hearing the door bell. “I’ll get,” she told him as she left the kitchen. She opened the door and there stood Trish. “Good morning dear,” she smiled at her and let her in.

“Good morning mom,” she couldn’t get used to not calling her that. “How is he doing?” she asked as she walked in.

“Better he actually walked on his own today, want some breakfast?” she asked her as they walked to the kitchen.

“Trish?” Alex asked as he saw her walk in with his mother. “Aren’t you supposed to be at work?”

“Yeah I kind of took my week vacation…” she said as looked at him, she cleared her throat and turned to pretend to look out the kitchen sliding doors. She didn’t want anyone to see her blush as she saw her husband shirtless. “I wanted to be able to help you get to your doctors appointments and what not. I mean I know you would do the same for me right? Friends remember?”

“Right…” Alex said eyeing her. She cared and he knew he had to play the right card that was all. “Well I’m done,” he said as he struggled to stand up, he was surprised to see her by his side her hands automatically helping him. “Thanks,” he said in a whisper afraid to say more. Her touch still gave him chills.

“So you want some breakfast dear?” Denise asked a grin evident on her face. Something was up and she was going to find out.

“No thank you I actually had breakfast before I came,” she told Denise as she helped Alex walk toward the living room area. “Is that a new tattoo?” she asked as she saw it.

“Yeah,” Alex smiled as he too looked down to his right side of his ribcage there it was his badge tattooed with the dates he served as a cop. “I thought it was worth putting this on,” he said as he made it to a couch and went to sit.

“It’s nice,” she told him trying no to touch.

“Thanks, if you think it is than I know it was a good idea.” He told her.

“Want me to get you something to put your broken foot up?” she asked him.

“Yes please there is a small stool in the computer room.” he told her as he reached for the remote control.

Trish hadn’t been too long in the computer when she emerged with the stool and stopped in her tracks. She felt a jab of jealousy when she saw who had just walked in that Gloria girl from his new job. She bit hard on her lips when she saw her greet Alex with a kiss on the cheek and all.

“How are you feeling?” Gloria asked Alex as she took a seat beside him.

“I still feel like shit but you could say I am a little better. Thanks for coming,” Alex said smiling when he saw who approached them.

Trish cleared her throat, “here you go Alex,” she said as she helped him put his foot up. “Hi,” she finally told Gloria and she knew she should be polite so she extended her hand to her.

“Oh hi… Trish right?” Gloria said taking her hand gladly. “Did I come in a bad time?” she asked looking at Alex.

“No your fine,” Trish said giving her the best smile she could manage. “I was about to tell you I was going to take the dogs for a walk…” she said looking at Alex.

“Well…” Alex stopped talking when he saw Trish was already out of ear shot… “I guess never mind,” he said clearing his throat.

“She’s here wow,” Gloria said excited for him.

*******

Trish was busy looking in the fridge for the rest of what she needed to make dinner she didn’t notice she had an audience till she finally turned around and caught Alex staring at her. “What?” she asked as she went to finish chopping the vegetables.

“Nothing I just knew that you weren’t mom,” he smiled and then he wobbled with his crutch toward the island where she stood preparing the food. “What are you making?”

“Chicken Puerto Rican style… with rice.” She told him as she continued to cook.

“You will not believe me but I actually was craving your food… I miss that. Lately I have been craving the craziest and weirdest things. I actually had a pickle with ice cream last night after you had left.” He said as he watched her prepare. “I really do appreciate you taking your vacation for me but you didn’t have to Trish.”

“Alex you are my friend and I know you would not want to be stuck with your mother alone… I know you love her but she tends to get to you. So I knew it was best if I was here since I seem to really get along with her. You would do the same for too wouldn’t you?” she asked looking up at him. She regretted as soon as she got lost in his eyes.

“Yeah… you will always have a special place in my heart. No matter how much shit we went through you are my friend too…” he swallowed hard to not say what he really wanted to say… that she was the love of his life.

Trish nodded and smiled, “before you know it we will be the best of friends you’ll see.” She did not want to admit she did not believe that herself because she would always be jealous of any girl he would go out with. But she also knew it was better this way.

“Where’s my mom?” He asked not really wanting to agree with her last comment.

“She went to take the dogs for a walk and I offered to cook dinner before I left for the day.” She told him as she busied herself again chopping. She was not even paying attention and that’s when she felt the sting. “Ow,” she said and looked at her finger it was now oozing blood. “Great,” she said as she went to the sink to run her finger through the water.

Alex finally made it to her around the island with a napkin in hand. “Are you ok?” he asked as he took her hand in his and looked at the cut on her index finger. “It’s not that bad,” he said wrapping the paper towel around it and applying pressure on it.

She continued to stare at his hand on hers not wanting to look up to him or his shirtless chest so close to her. “Thanks,” she said in a shaky voice. “I will pay better attention next time.”

He giggled and then he unwrapped the paper towel examining the cut. “You’ll just need a band aide and you will be fine,” he said and without thinking kissed her index finger gently.

Trish was going to protest but couldn’t and just cleared her throat taking her hand away from his hand. “Thank you, I’ll go look for one in a bit.” But she didn’t move instead she leaned in and kissed him on the lips gently and then more aggressively.

Alex didn’t rebuttal instead he took her mouth as well. This was definitely unexpected but her knew that her attraction to him was just as intense as his. Lately he could feel it more, he just hoped this would not be short lived. But as he was thinking that she pulled away and realized she had because he could hear his mother walking in.

“I’m sorry,” she told Alex a she cleared her throat and walked away.

Alex just smiled as his finger went to his mouth. “I’m not sorry,” he whispered as his mother walked into the kitchen. “Hey how was the walk?”

“Oh my goodness your dogs are terrible,” she said as she went for a glass. “Its smells good what is Trish cooking? Where is Trish?”

“Uhm she cut herself so went for a band aid,” he said a smirk still clear in his face.