Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: My Sister's Keeper :O)  (Read 7667 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: My Sister's Keeper :O)
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »

YAY! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 09:44:17 PM »

**Spoiler Alert**

I wanted Kate to die. Straight up.

I'm mad at the ending, which is a good thing. The ending made me furious but the point of writing is to evoke emotion and it did it well. I found Sara's section in the third to last chapter to be incredibly rushed, and I felt like the author was like "okay, ending, LET'S GO!". I also hate that Jesse got off scott-free.

I didn't mind the Campbell/Julia part because it really gave you a picture of how ashamed Campbell was of his 'disability'. Enough to leave the person he loved forever.

I feel bad that Judge got hurt in the accident, that upset me most about the ending. No dog should have to limp. Which should give you an idea of how I felt about the ending.... :)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 09:47:19 PM »

I forgot about Jesse. That's the only thing that bugged me about the book. I felt like Jesse should have gotten some kind of consequence for his actions. And I agree, that ending did evoke emotions and made me mad but still I think I would have killed Kate LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2009, 09:50:38 PM »

I definitely wanted Kate to die. I was ticked it had to be Anna instead.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »

I wanted them both to die. I mean not from the start but once they killed off Anna I thought they might as well kill of Kate too. In the end that would have shown the mom she was wrong to put her daughter through that for no reason and that she had lost Anna long before Kate died because of her selfishness towards the sick kid.

Heck they should have exploded Jesse too! lmao maybe in the sequel? OR the remake.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2009, 09:58:15 PM »

I seriously thought that after the Anna dying thing happened then it would be "we gave her the kidney but Kate died anyway" so it would be like see? it wouldn't have necessarily worked, and now you've lost them both because of it.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2009, 10:11:59 PM »

Yeah... it bugged me that Kate was so close to death and WANTED to die, so much that she put Anna up to the lawsuit and the trial, and then Anna died, and she miraculously lived.  That was a little hokey.  But, for me, it was at least better than if they both had died... I would have been too sad for Brian and Sara if that had happened.  They still lost a daughter, but at least they only lost one.  In the end, Anna did save her sister.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2009, 11:31:55 PM »

Yeah but like Julilly said I expected Kate to die right along with her, just to show Sara something.

After being so mad at the ending, like I said I couldn't really think of another good way. Like Anna probably should've died just to make Sara finally see. But yes Kate should've died along with her to show that she made her girls suffer for essentially nothing.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2009, 05:07:28 AM »

Yup, I agree.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »

Yeah, I would have much rather seen just Kate die. I would have liked to see Anna have to make the decision (now that she actually can make it on her own) and give her the kidney, and then have Kate die. I HATED that Anna died. HATED it! Stupid. Pointless...  But if you're going to kill off Anna, I would have much rather they still killed off Kate as well. First killing off Anna so conveniently like that seemed so preachy and just cheapened the whole story for me. But THEN to also let Kate miraculously live and Jessie turning around to be a model citizen, and a cop no less? Come on. I seriously hated the end.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2009, 03:38:50 PM »

I'm glad I am not the only one who wanted them both to die lol Maybe that's how they'll change the ending? LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2009, 05:07:07 PM »

About Jesse... I do agree that he should have been busted for arson and everything else he did, but I can kind of understand Brian not turning him in.  Was it the right thing to do?  No.  But with everything else going on, it would have just made things even worse for the family to have him in prison.

And despite his pyromania and drinking and whatnot, I do think Jesse was a good person deep down.  That came across several times... when he went into the fire to rescue the homeless guy (to save his own ass, of course, but he did risk his life to save another person, and without a second thought), and when he helped deliver the lamb and always noticed it in the crowd, even though he had gone on this whole rant about how much he hated the cheap, and the scene with Kate in her hospital room while the rest of the family is at the trial.  I think he was a good person, just deeply warped by the dynamics of his family growing up.
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2009, 05:15:03 PM »

True. I can also understand why Brian didn't say anything, and as a parent, I'm actually not sure what I would have done in his situation. And Jesse was one of my favorite characters.I LOVED how he interacted with his sisters. I would have liked to see a little more of his perspective. I just didn't like that fact that the author decided to kill off Anna, and then tie up everything else so nice and neat. It just made it feel really cheesy after that. The same with Kate living. Like Mare said, I would have rather seen her kill them both off.

If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2009, 05:38:55 PM »

I'm just not a big fan of sad endings.  I can do without happy endings... bittersweet is good, which is what I think of this one... but for me, it would have just been too sad AND pointless if both of them had died.  I would have rather it been Kate than Anna, but I'm glad that Anna's death was not pointless either, that at least she did save Kate.  I know it's cheesy, but if you believe in God and Heaven and all that, you could see it as a miracle, that Anna died to save Kate, and Kate beat the odds and lived because she had sort of a guardian angel watching out for her after that.
~Julie

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2009, 09:44:01 PM »

I'm still not a huge fan of the ending... but in a way, it made sense.  I agree that it had to be a shock.  I wasn't going to buy an ending where Anna gave in and gave up, or where where they just left everything hanging in the wind (which would have happened for the entire family if Anna had won the trial).

For me I think the ending was meant to be the ultimate irony.  One daughter who wants a life free from having to be the guinea pig for her dying sister.  The other, the child who's resigned herself to the fact that she is going to die.  The mother who wants nothing more than for her dying daughter to live never realizing that by her living, she's giving up quality of life for the other.

In the end... the dying daughter lives, the living daughter dies and the mother is left stuck in the exact same situation for the rest of her life... only this time she has no hope of saving Anna.

It's a rather sucky storyline if you think about it -- because if it happened in real life it would be completely devastating.  But it's actually pretty creative.
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8