Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Harry Potter Discussion (for those who've read all the books!)  (Read 11829 times)

Howies Girl

• Innocent Bystander
Re: Harry Potter Discussion (for those who've read all the books!)
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2010, 08:17:18 AM »

I personally would love expecto patronum i could use it to distract my Students at the dance studio while i make my escape. I love them but ithink theylove me to much!

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »

This is so random but just now I was watching PoA on ABC Family and I noticed the ending, when they all come up from the Whomping Willow and Lupin changes under the full moon... Snape kind of reveals his "true colors" by instinctively protecting the 3 students (at least in the movie, lol). If Harry had been right about Snape being out to kill him the whole time, he would've run to save his own skin instead of protecting Harry, Ron and Hermione from Lupin. Just a random thought.

I love Snape, btw. LOL He kind of rocks.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2010, 08:02:24 PM »

^ True.  I never believed Snape was really evil in the books, even when he killed Dumbledore.  I always thought there had to be something more to it than that, and I would have felt cheated if it had turned out he really was sided with Voldemort the whole time LOL.  I love Snape's story.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2010, 08:30:56 PM »

I love Snape too! I forgot this was HP weekend although it seems like every other weekend on ABC fam is HP weekend lol

I always secretly wanted Draco to turn out really good as well. Not that he was a horrible person, just brougt up by horrible people but still. In my head I wanted him to help bring down Voldermort.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2010, 08:51:30 PM »

LOL I know, they do it pretty often!  I always catch at least part of it for the previews of the next movie!  I have it on right now LOL.

Draco's another good character.  I like his vulnerability in the last two books especially.  I don't know that I would have wanted him to completely pull a 180 and turn good, but I like how it turned out with the Malfoys, the way that Draco was kind of struggling between the two sides by the end of DH, and how Harry's saving his life essentially served to save his own later, when Narcissa lied and told Voldy he was dead when he really wasn't.

All through DH, you see that - every character Harry has shown kindness or mercy to throughout the series does something to help or even save him in DH.  Dobby, Kreacher, Wormtail, Griphook, Malfoy, etc.  It's such a powerful message of good karma, what goes around comes around.  I also love how each of the Horcruxes was destroyed by someone different - the only one Harry actually got rid of himself was the diary, back in Chamber of Secrets.  He may have been The Chosen One, but he would never have survived and conquered Voldemort without the help of his friends.

~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2010, 09:24:40 PM »

Thats important lesson in anything - even when we think we are (or in Harry's case, he actually was) the one who is "chosen" to do something, that doesn't mean we can/have to/will do it all alone. Even the "secondary" characters are heros in HP, as it is in real life.

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »

LOL I forgot they have to start Harry Potter "weekend" a day early now that they can show the 5th movie too.  *turns on Sorcerer's Stone*

Deathly Hallows looks sooo epic; I can't wait!!

Favorite spell... definitely the summoning spell would come in handy LOL.  I like the stunning spell, too, but mostly just because I like to yell "STUPEFY!"  (Not that I do this often in real life... OR DO I?)

I really love the riddikulous spell. :)  I'd love to yell that at some of my co-workers some days and have them change into something far less annoying.  Oops, did I just say that? :)

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2010, 10:17:56 PM »

You know of all of them, looks-wise, Neville has changed like the absolute most. I can only just barely recognize him each time as he changes... Its his mouth that gives it away it's him. He just changes so much from film to film, its crazy.

I was really glad Neville got to help in HP&DH in the end, too.. Neville was such a misunderstood little guy.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2010, 11:06:36 PM »

^ He has!  They make him wear a mouthpiece to make his cheeks look fuller and also something behind his ears to make them stick out more, so he looks a lot different in real life too LOL.  It's really cool that they've kept the same child actors this whole time, so we've been able to watch them grow up over the last ten years.  I remember back when the first few movies were being made, and everyone said they'd have to replace the trio for the last few movies because they would be too old to place the characters.  I thought it sounded stupid at the time, since obviously the characters age with each book anyway, and I'm so glad they were able to make the movies on a tight enough schedule that it worked out fine - it totally would have ruined the film series if they had replaced the actors!
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2010, 11:44:11 PM »

LOL I know, they do it pretty often!  I always catch at least part of it for the previews of the next movie!  I have it on right now LOL.

Draco's another good character.  I like his vulnerability in the last two books especially.  I don't know that I would have wanted him to completely pull a 180 and turn good, but I like how it turned out with the Malfoys, the way that Draco was kind of struggling between the two sides by the end of DH, and how Harry's saving his life essentially served to save his own later, when Narcissa lied and told Voldy he was dead when he really wasn't.

All through DH, you see that - every character Harry has shown kindness or mercy to throughout the series does something to help or even save him in DH.  Dobby, Kreacher, Wormtail, Griphook, Malfoy, etc.  It's such a powerful message of good karma, what goes around comes around.  I also love how each of the Horcruxes was destroyed by someone different - the only one Harry actually got rid of himself was the diary, back in Chamber of Secrets.  He may have been The Chosen One, but he would never have survived and conquered Voldemort without the help of his friends.

it's what makes Harry Potter not a Gary Stu like The Matrix series ended up being
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2010, 12:14:49 AM »

^ Yeah, I think Harry is far from a Gary Stu.  He may be the "chosen one," and he's certainly a hero, but he's far from perfect.
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2010, 12:25:24 AM »

^ He has!  They make him wear a mouthpiece to make his cheeks look fuller and also something behind his ears to make them stick out more, so he looks a lot different in real life too LOL.  It's really cool that they've kept the same child actors this whole time, so we've been able to watch them grow up over the last ten years.  I remember back when the first few movies were being made, and everyone said they'd have to replace the trio for the last few movies because they would be too old to place the characters.  I thought it sounded stupid at the time, since obviously the characters age with each book anyway, and I'm so glad they were able to make the movies on a tight enough schedule that it worked out fine - it totally would have ruined the film series if they had replaced the actors!

I had no idea they made him wear a mouthpiece - how uncomfortable! But definitely made him look like a "Neville Longbottom"... lol.

I'm VERY glad they kept the same actors, too. It's so awkward when people suddenly change looks. Like Dumbledore from films 1-2 is so NOT Dumbledore... They definitely made the change for the GOOD there, IMO, but still, the change itself was awkward.

I know it's not supposed to be a Twilight discussion... but they totally did that with the new Twi-movie, too. The bad vamp Victoria was played by a different actor in Eclipse, and you could tell they didn't want anyone to notice cos they kept doing these cheap shots of her from behind instead of showing her normally until they absolutely HAD to show her face, then it was like... they chose someone who looked nothing like the original actress, either. It ruined the effect of the hatred you should've felt for that character by that point.

Plus nobody could ever play the trio the way these 3 do... they just are perfect for the parts. It definitely would've ruined the movies to suddenly replace them.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »

LOL about Eclipse - I know!  They tried to just show her hair most of the time and hide her face with it.  I like Bryce Dallas Howard (the new actress), but they should have not have fired Rachel LaFavre.  That whole thing was just silly.  With Dumbledore, they didn't have a choice, but with Victoria, they could have made it work.
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2010, 09:17:36 AM »

LOL about Eclipse - I know!  They tried to just show her hair most of the time and hide her face with it.  I like Bryce Dallas Howard (the new actress), but they should have not have fired Rachel LaFavre.  That whole thing was just silly.  With Dumbledore, they didn't have a choice, but with Victoria, they could have made it work.

Right.
I must say Dumbledore did change for the better though. He looks much more how I imagined Dumbledore when I was reading after the change. He looked like Santa in purple before.  :-X

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2010, 09:00:34 PM »

^ I am glad I'm not the only one who prefers the new Dumbledore.  Richard Harris is an awesome actor and it's sad he died when he did, but I really prefer how Michael Gambon portrays him.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7