Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: The recommend a great book thread  (Read 12832 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The recommend a great book thread
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2010, 04:59:05 PM »

Yup, this is acctually her second book she's gotten published. The first one was her On the Outside which she unfanficed shortly after Mel's got published.

Oh wow, I didn't know that either.  I liked that story.  I haven't heard from Amy in years.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »

The Glass Castle is written by Jeannette Walls - it is based on the true story of what her and her siblings grew up dealing with.  Apparently, her mother was from a really wealthy family but her family was homeless on and off, etc. when at any time they could have gone to some big bucks ranch where her mother's family was...

Another that she recommended was The Late, Lamented Molly Marx by Sally Koslow.

She read both for her book club.

That sounds interesting. My book club just read Crooked Letter Crooked Letter, which was good but I wasn't that much of a fan. I don't remmeber who wrote it though lol

I'm excited because I convinced them to read Nineteen Minutes so somewhere down the line we get to read that one.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2010, 06:25:29 PM »

Oh wow, I didn't know that either.  I liked that story.  I haven't heard from Amy in years.

Yeah, Amy stopped writing fanfic a long time ago. Now she makes her living writing small articles for magazines and greeting cards etc... She's doing well :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »

I recommend Monster High. ;D

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2011, 04:35:06 AM »

I'm currently reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and once I'd got past the first few pages, I began to start really enjoying it.  Has anyone else read it?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2011, 06:39:42 AM »

I read it over the summer.  I found it hard to get into at first, but like you said, once you get further into it, it gets good.  I liked it.  Haven't gotten around to reading the second one yet, though.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2011, 06:15:03 PM »

I'm currently reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and once I'd got past the first few pages, I began to start really enjoying it.  Has anyone else read it?

OMG I am almost finished with The girl Who Played with Fire. I agree it had a slow start but then I couldn't put it down. I felt the same way about the second book. I rented the Swedish version of the film after reading Dragon and it was great! It did the book justice!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2011, 04:53:39 AM »

I'm thinking of getting the DVD of it too, I've heard it's excellent.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »

My book club is having a dinner and a movie night for Water for Elephants. They read it before I joined the book club and i'm
 SO glad I decided to read the book before this movie because after getting more than halfway through it, there is NO way I would go see this movie. No way!! It's not a bad book, it's actually pretty good and very well written but good lord the amount of animal cruelty in it makes me wwant to go nowhere near a move theater to see it on the big screen. Did anyone else read this book? I'm actually thinking of not finishing it because seriously, that's the one thing I can't really stand to read or see, animal stories. If they kill Rosie I might have to jump off a bridge lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »

I was thinking of getting the book as a friend has recommended it.  I'm not really into animal stories, especially if there's cruelty involved.  But I must admit to fancying the film because Robert Pattinson is gorgeous in it and the trailer looks good, and I like the old fashioned look of it. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »

The movie looks really good; I want to see it.  I'll probably end up waiting till it's out on DVD, though.  I've heard the book is really good, but I'll cry at the drop of a hat over anything to do with animals, so thanks for the warning.

When I was in college, in one of my English classes for elementary education majors, the professor put us in groups and gave each group a children's book to read and discuss together, then share with the rest of the class.  We got a book called Faithful Elephants, which I had never heard of before.  It's the (true) story of what happened to the elephants in a zoo in Tokyo during World War II.  The zookeepers were mandated to put down their large and dangerous animals because everyone was afraid of what would happen if the city was bombed and the animals got out, so they started poisoning the animals.  But the elephants were smart and wouldn't eat poisoned food, and they didn't have needles strong enough to penetrate their skin, so they couldn't inject them with anything.  So they let them starve to death instead.  This is a children's book, complete with painted illustrations, and it's horribly, horribly sad.  I sat on the hallway floor in a circle with this group of girls in my class, and one of them read the book out loud, and by the end, we were all crying.  We came back into the classroom all teary-eyed, and the other groups looked at us, like, WTF?  It's possibly the saddest book I've ever read LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2011, 07:32:10 PM »

Oh my God! WTF? That's horrible!! And yes, that's pretty much all of Water of Elephants. It's kind of all aww that's great and then this animal dies a horrible death and then aww that's cute and then this animal dies a horrible death and so on and so forth. I know in a movie every once ina while they might skip something like that but plot wise it's pretty impossible and like I said, there's no way I could sit through it. None of them were elephants lol yet! But I even had trouble reading the author's notes because she had to mention gruesome things about killing of elephants in that one too. I'm surprised she didn't just hang herselof after writing this story. lol

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2011, 07:35:21 PM »

Has anyone read the Glass Castle?  I've heard a lot about it and it sounds like it would be a good one for book club. 

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »

The Help is another I've heard a lot about...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2011, 07:37:04 PM »

The Help is the next one I plan on reading. I have heard great things about that book.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10