Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: The recommend a great book thread  (Read 12975 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The recommend a great book thread
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »

Oh my God! WTF? That's horrible!! And yes, that's pretty much all of Water of Elephants. It's kind of all aww that's great and then this animal dies a horrible death and then aww that's cute and then this animal dies a horrible death and so on and so forth. I know in a movie every once ina while they might skip something like that but plot wise it's pretty impossible and like I said, there's no way I could sit through it. None of them were elephants lol yet! But I even had trouble reading the author's notes because she had to mention gruesome things about killing of elephants in that one too. I'm surprised she didn't just hang herselof after writing this story. lol

I know, and aww... :(  Yeah, I'm definitely glad I didn't see the movie in theaters then.  I'll probably still watch it at some point, but at home by myself, where I can weep shamelessly LOL.  Animal deaths are the worst... I was even a sobbing mess in the theater watching the new version of King Kong LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »

The Help is the next one I plan on reading. I have heard great things about that book.

A friend loaned me The Help so I have it too.  Do we have a book club book for May/June?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »

We haven't done that in a long time but wwe can always start it up again. The Help would be an excellent choice.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2011, 08:21:11 PM »

Works for me!!!  I'll start it after I finish the book I'm reading!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2011, 04:34:43 PM »

Julie, I'm a blubbering mess over sad animal films too.  I cried in Marley & Me and when me and Holly saw Princess and the Frog, she cried her eyes out when the firefly died and she almost set me off!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »

I cried at the end of Marley & Me too.  I haven't seen Princess and the Frog all the way through, but other Disney movies involving animals - Dumbo, Bambi, Fox & the Hound, Lion King - still make me cry.

I do love a good tearjerker, though.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »

I wouldn't even watch Marley and Me lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2011, 04:46:56 PM »

Well, I did suck it up and finish "Water for Elephants." It was a good book overall but like I said, too much animal cruelty for my liking. I would recommend it to people though, especially if you liked the Notebook because it's very Notebook-like minus the sucking lol although i'm just going by the movie on that one. Never read that book. I know, you're all shocked about that one! :P I can't see how Robert Pattison will do Jacob justice but I can totally picture Reese as Marlena.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2011, 07:28:08 AM »

I've downloaded it to read on my iPod, so hopefully I'll enjoy it when I get around to reading.  I've not read The Notebook but I do love the film.  I've read a few reviews of the film Water For Elephants and it seems to have had good reviews.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »

OK, I watched Water For Elephants today and really loved the film.  I can see what you mean about it being a bit like The Notebook in some ways.  I wanted to shoot the circus master for the way he treated those animals!  And I thought Rob Pattinson was great!

Once I've finished reading Beastly then I'm going to read this book.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2011, 02:21:28 PM »

So did they show a lot of the animal cruelty?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »

Once I've finished reading Beastly then I'm going to read this book.

Are you liking Beastly, Steph?  I just read it a few weeks ago.  Beauty and the Beast is my favorite, as far as Disney movie fairy tales go, so I figured I had to check out the book/movie.  I really liked it at the beginning, thought it was quite clever, the way it was modernized, but oddly enough, once it got into the romance stuff, I got bored with it.  I didn't think the second half was nearly as good as the first.  Oh well.  I stuck it in my classroom library for my kids to read; I do a big unit on fractured fairy tales, and it's the perfect example of a young adult fracture fairy tale.  I still might check out the movie when it comes out on DVD; just from the previews, it looks quite a bit different from the book.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2011, 04:25:34 AM »

Are you liking Beastly, Steph?  I just read it a few weeks ago.  Beauty and the Beast is my favorite, as far as Disney movie fairy tales go, so I figured I had to check out the book/movie.  I really liked it at the beginning, thought it was quite clever, the way it was modernized, but oddly enough, once it got into the romance stuff, I got bored with it.  I didn't think the second half was nearly as good as the first.  Oh well.  I stuck it in my classroom library for my kids to read; I do a big unit on fractured fairy tales, and it's the perfect example of a young adult fracture fairy tale.  I still might check out the movie when it comes out on DVD; just from the previews, it looks quite a bit different from the book.

Beauty & The Beast is my favourite Disney film too (along with The Hunchback of Notre Dame).  I saw the film Beastly with my daughter and we both enjoyed it, although I think they could've done more with it, made him more of a beast.  The book was different to the film and like you say, the first half was better than the second half.  Still enjoyable though if you like that kind of thing.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2011, 04:31:45 AM »

So did they show a lot of the animal cruelty?

Some.  I don't know how much is in the book as I've only just started reading it, but in the film there was enough to make you hate that character and wish nasty things upon him.

I really recommend the movie, even if you don't like Rob Pattinson, you'll love Rosie!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2011, 02:34:17 PM »

Beauty & The Beast is my favourite Disney film too (along with The Hunchback of Notre Dame).  I saw the film Beastly with my daughter and we both enjoyed it, although I think they could've done more with it, made him more of a beast.  The book was different to the film and like you say, the first half was better than the second half.  Still enjoyable though if you like that kind of thing.

I was confused about that when I was reading the book, because he's very much a "beast" in the book, like in the Disney movie, and from the previews of the movie, it looked like they just made him look like a burn victim or something LOL.  I could have seen the book going that route too, where it was more metaphorical than literal animalistic BEAST, but since the book did make him that way, I wonder why the movie didn't too.  Maybe it would have been too hard to do and have it look realistic or something... I hate bad CGI.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10