Fic Talk > Brainstorms

thoughts and ramblings about your ideas etc...

<< < (2/11) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: Rose on July 08, 2010, 11:13:12 PM ---Now I haven't let myself start it yet, but I keep getting ideas for it that I end up sticking into my "outline" (if we can call it that LOL...more like word doc full of random ideas for one new story). I feel like the moment I let myself start writing it I won't be able to help myself LOL.

--- End quote ---

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say I think you should just go for it!  Write what's in your head!  You don't have to post it, and you don't have to abandon RMTW and Undead (correction: I won't ALLOW you to abandon that one - either of them, really LOL), but at least get it out there and see where it takes you.

I never liked having more than two stories in the works at once, my main one and my back-up.  But then I got to the point where my main one was Broken and then BMS, and they took me so long to write that I put all these other ideas on the back burner to write after I finished BMS.  But then when I did, I'd pretty much lost my inspiration on all of them.  Guilty Roads is really the only one I've had any success with actually writing.  There are others I've started and haven't gotten anywhere with, even though I still like the ideas.  You might as well write while the idea's hot, knowing that the day will come when your muse wants to switch back to one of your other babies LOL, and then you can put it aside and save it for later.

Pengi:
I've found too that putting a story on a back burner that you actually wanna write really bad makes the stuff you are writing come out kind of crappy cos you're forcing yourself away from what you're actually inspired to be doing. Sometimes just tossing a few chapters into it will end the urge, then when you put it on a back burner it's not driving you crazy with ideas and desire, you write your main stuff better, and you have more than just a couple ideas in a word document to return to the other story with that jogs your memory and your desire to finish the story. :) That's basically what my goal was when I did the first few chapters of STDFB3 - I didn't want to lose the voice of Nick in the series between stories, but I really wanted to work on HTSAL first. Of course, as you know, I abandoned HTSAL and got obsessive over getting the story to work right and poofed, but that was issues with HTSAL not with STDFB3, and I was looking over the material I have for STDFB3 and it got me excited again to pick it up. If I hadn't written what I have in that story, I never would've been able to pick that series back up again, I would've lost Nick's "voice" for it.

RokofAges75:
I agree; sometimes it's nice to have a story at least started, cause if you write the beginning while the creative juices are flowing and it's really good, that makes it easier to go back to and pick up again later.

mare:
I love that all of you are getting so many ideas this summer! I think seeing you guys jump back into is one of the things that inspired me to write again.

I say to all of you, if you have the idea in your head and have worked out at least a few chapters,  you should just go ahead and start posting it! You might as well. Julie, 4 chapters is a lot, but I know what you mean too. It sucks when you have that much going on because eventually something is going to end up on the back burner but your faithful readers will be happy to see you updated at least one story a week if nothing else. That's what I noticed when I was going strong before I tanked out! lol

At one point I think I had 3 stories going on at once, but after awhile I found myself working on one a week and most people were happy with that. You might lose readers who are only following one of the stories, but if the story is good enough they'll come back when you update!

I'm glad my muse is back. For a long time I was convinced she had hitched a ride to Vegas to become a stripper or something.

RokofAges75:
^ I'm glad your muse is back, too!  And I agree, I think everyone who's jumping back into it and everyone supporting each other is a huge inspiration!

I never really stopped writing, but I also hadn't really had a novel of my own going strong since I finished BMS - I wrote a few short stories, but other than that it was pretty much the two collaborations .  And as much as I love writing for those, there's something different about having a story that's all yours that you can work on whenever you feel like it, without either waiting for it to be your turn or feeling obligated to get a part written because it is your turn.  So I've really enjoyed working on GR and this new story I started this summer.

My plan is to get through Chapter 6 and see how it's going then, cause that's kind of crucial point in the beginning of the story.  If it's still working out, I'm sure I'll post it.  I finished Chapter 4 today, so I'm starting on 5 now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version