Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27

Author Topic: Question of the day thread number 2!  (Read 64103 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day thread number 2!
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2012, 06:56:04 PM »

I don't think Ashleigh is a Mary Sue spelling. If it was Ashlee maybe? My take on the whole Mary Sue spellings is simple. If it's a real name, and pretty common, I don't think it's a Mary Sue name but if you put a random vowel in there or tack on a middle name or 'en' or "an" at the end lol then you are making it a Mary Sue.

Kind of like a you might be a redneck if...

You might be naming a character a mary Sue if... lol Although we should rename Mary Sue > Mari Syoo :P
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »

Ashleigh is pretty common. That's not too bad, it's more when people go out of their way. Like Jaymes lmao. (Yes AJ...)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2012, 07:58:36 PM »

I either have recently heard the name somewhere and liked it or I've researched the name to some extent. For example, I'll find a list of names used in songs and pick a song I could possibly use in the story if I need to or a famous person who emulated the character's personality somehow (or was the exact opposite!)... Most of the time though, the names just sort of come to me when I go to type it for the first time.

The most outlandish name I've used was Charlie (short for Charlotte) in Bodyguard and that was primarily because Charlie was a tomboy and needed to be initially mistaken by Nick to be a man.

I like unique spellings but not forced crazy ones. For example, in my OF fiction I tend to spell it Bryan not Brian. No offense to Mr. Littrell of course. LOL
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2012, 10:12:06 PM »

*coughs* I sometimes use an "L" name for the female lead because ooooh I don't know... *whistles*  Lots of times I use friends names chosen randomly.  I know with Julie in CP it is what I did.  I needed a name for the main character and was saying the line where the guy says her name the first time and kept putting a name in the sentence and Julie popped in once and it worked so I went with it. 

I use baby name books too and put the name into the story like I did with the Julie scene and see how it works.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »

Wow, you guys are making me feel bad with all this baby name book stuff. I just use an easy name and go with it. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »

I do the baby name thing too!  I may even have an account on babynames.com with a whole bunch of names saved on a favorites list LOL.  I also love behindthename. com because it gives more background info on where a name came from and its popularity over the years.  Actually, one of my favorite sites to go to when I can't think of a name, usually for minor characters, is the Social Security site.  They have great lists of popular names from each decade, each individual year, even each year by state.  Great for historical fiction!  http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/index.html

I tend to only use the baby name sites if I'm stuck and need ideas for names, or if I have it narrowed down to a few choices and can't decide - then I'll look up the meaning and see if there's one that fits better than others.  (And yes, I will fully admit to being one of those people who spends way too much time coming up with character names!)  I do like the favorites list on babynames.com because it's just a big list of names that I like, which is usually how I name my main characters.  I think pretty much any name I've ever considered naming a future child has gone to a character at one point or another.  One of my newer favorite girl's names is Analiese, which was Anne Frank's full name (spelled Annaliese).  It's a German name, so it worked well for the Amish girl in Guilty Roads.

I prefer classic names, nothing too weird or too trendy (although classic names are the trend nowadays!), although I try not to use names that are overused either in real life or fanfic.  I'll probably never name a character Alyssa, Ashley, Stephanie, or anything like that - no offense to people with those names.  I try to choose names that fit the character.  For example, with Cary in Curtain Call, I knew she was going to have this whole 40s/50s vintage vibe to her, so I definitely wanted her to have a classic name.  Her name is Carolyn, which was a popular name in those decades, and she's also named after her mother (Carol), who was an important part of her back story.  I like nicknames, and I like them to be derived from the full name and spelled as closely as possible, so I went with Cary instead of Carrie or Cari because Carolyn only has one R and a Y instead of an I or E.  Also, it made me think of Cary Grant, which, even though he was a guy, worked with the whole retro thing.

Sometimes I pick names that I don't personally like, but that fit the character. Claire in Broken was one of those.  I didn't like the name Claire at the time (it's grown on me since, after writing it so many times over the years!), but that was why it worked for her - I wanted her to have a name that was plain and simple and not overly "pretty"-sounding, like Isabella or Madelyn or something, because that's the type of girl I wanted her to be.

I've used myself as a character in a fanfic once before, back in my teenybopper early days, and since then I've modeled characters after myself (usually in collabs, it seems), but I'm not into blatant self-inserts.  I think creating an original character is way more fun than writing a barely-disguised version of myself with a slightly different name.  I wouldn't make a very good female lead anyway!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2012, 06:58:55 AM »

Hmmm names I've used.

Michelle, Alexis, Tracy (duh), April, Jessie, Brandy, Amanda, Katie, Julie, Julia, Renee, Amber, Lisa, Audrey, Nancy, Celine and Linda for girls. For Nick's son I used Bryan and Alexander, Bryan for Brian because it would cause confusion, and Alexander for AJ, the two important people in Nick's life during the series.

I like to pick whatever names I like but I also browse that baby name book. It has 10,000 names in it lol

myconfession

« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »

I'm not sure I agree with the whole spelling thing. I mean, some people have funky spelled names. Not everybody is named Mary or Sally or Carrie. Look at me. My name is Karah-Leigh.

And I used my name, without the hyphen in my very first story I ever wrote. She was totally Mary Sue and everything I wished I was, but at the time I didn't know any better. I also used Karah in "Six Degrees" but that was only as a joke and something my co-writer wanted to do (she was in italso).

I've used different names in stories... Harley, Tara, Karsyn, Emmileigh, Melinda/Mindy, Charlie (Charlotte), Julie, Elizabeth, Shelby, Macie, Georgia, Savannah.... that's the only ones I can think of.

I look at baby name sites sometimes, but sometimes the name usually plays part in the story. Like for instance, the character Georgia is from Florida... and that plays into the story.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2012, 02:55:11 PM »

I've used friends names, Welsh names like Seren and Carys (which might have sounded weird to some, but not to me, lol). I've also used my own name in the past when I first discovered fanfic as everyone on the site I went on did the same thing.

In my historical one, I did look at names which would've been used in that time.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »

Karah - I didn't know you used Charlie (Charlotte) too. Which story was she in?

I think using unusual spelling can be used in a good way and then theres a line where it goes over the top. If it's hard for the reader to figure out what the name is because of the crazy ass way its being spelled I think it's too much. I feel like Saphyr or whatever it was would be hard to figure out. Plus it just looks kinda ugly. lol Sapphire isn't much better as a name but thats a whole other discussion and a matter of taste/opinion of the reader/author. But going cuckoo trying to make a name stand out by altering the spelling - without having a reason IN the story for the crazy name - just makes it harder for the reader to figure out how to pronounce your character's name.

Like those Francine Pascal books in the Fearless series. The character's name was spelled Gaia and they pronounced it Guy-uh and she had to make the character tell someone that at least 40 times a chapter, I can only assume so that everyone knew how to pronounce it.

However, I've got a story I'm working on where there is a character named Female, but she pronounces it Fe-mah-lee and there's a reason/story behind it within the story and she actually goes by "Miley" because she got so sick of explaining the story to people.

I really think it's jst a matter of having a purpose, thinking it through, and not randomly throwing crazy spellings and names in just to seek attention or "uniqueness" to the character through their messed up names. If there's a reason for it, then yeah why not? There's truly people with crazy names all over the world, and it can add character depth and all that fun stuff.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:04:14 PM by Pengi »
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2012, 04:51:29 PM »

Tonight's question:

Have you ever written a story and then found a lot of inconsistencie s in either the plot or a character after it has been posted? I ask because of finding a few glaring errors in my last one lol

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2012, 05:00:13 PM »

I have, yes indeed I have. Outlining has helped some lately but I still find them regardless.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »

Tonight's question:

Have you ever written a story and then found a lot of inconsistencie s in either the plot or a character after it has been posted? I ask because of finding a few glaring errors in my last one lol

Sigh. Yes.

That is why I am now waiting until things are complete before I start posting them, so I can go back and change details before I am stuck with what I have.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »

Yes. Which is why I'm rewriting 4 clone stories into Weird World. There was a lot of inconsistencie s and I thought it was too drawn out. It holds up so much better as its own single story.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2012, 05:46:57 PM »

Yes. It's the worst when that happens and it really bothers me. This is the biggest problem with In Pieces, actually. Ashleigh's friend is the one who gives Nick her number so that he can get back into contact with her. Then, when Ashleigh goes out with Nick, her friend turns around and is all judgmental and calls her out, saying after what he did she shouldn't have gone out with him at all. WTF lady, you're the one who gave Nick her number in the first place.

It annoys me every time I think of that story, actually.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27