Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Author Topic: Question of the day thread number 2!  (Read 64151 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the day thread number 2!
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2012, 09:48:36 AM »

Ones that the plot outweighs the realism of the BSB just being five guys in a group that have random things happen to them.

I think you've definitely hit the nail on the head with that, Mare! I suppose if a story starts out with them being BSB, and having the BSB history, but quickly morphs into something else entirely and strays so far away from them being BSB, then it constitutes as AU, at least in part. Especially when you bring supernatural elements into the mix as with the stories you mentioned.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #196 on: July 07, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »

^ poor nail :( lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #197 on: July 07, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »

LMAO yes, indeed.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #198 on: July 07, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »

I love reading and writing AU's just as much as reading them as Backstreet Boys.  I like that with an AU you can have them be something completely different, like a fighter, preacher, actor, model, etc.  But I do like to be able to tell that they are who they are supposed to be.

I'd never really thought of a story being AU if the wives/girlfriends/kids were changed.  But then again, I didn't know what AU was a few years ago, lol.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #199 on: July 07, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »

neither did they all get into a plane crash and pick bot flies out of Jordan Knight's brain

I think you'll find that actually happened.... :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »

I think you'll find that actually happened.... :P

Would it be considered in poor taste to say, "I wish"?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »

Tonight's question:

If you could ask anyone to write a sequel/prequel to any of the stories out there that do not belong to you, what would you choose and why?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #202 on: July 07, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »

Okay, since this question seems to be a dud, does anyone else have one? lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #203 on: July 07, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »

It's a good question, but I'm having a hard time with it because I'm not really a big fan of prequels or sequels.  All of my favorite stories that are finished are just perfect in where they start and stop.  Some of them already do have sequels that I couldn't get into, and others have sequels that I love, but again, they ended in the right place.

But I did think of one:  "Remember Me This Way" by Jen (not Rose's story).
http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/hosted/rmtw.html
I'd ask her to finish the original first LOL, then write a prequel.  The way it's set up is that it starts with a prologue, then skips ahead four years.  A prequel set within those four years that were skipped would be fun.  But sadly, it'll never happen.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #204 on: July 07, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »

Hm, this question is difficult! Most of the stories I've read are either perfect on their own and don't need anything else, or they already have prequels and sequels attached to them, lol.

I just scrolled through my list of favourites and couldn't find anything. What a boring answer to this question LOL.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #205 on: July 07, 2012, 08:54:57 PM »

I got a question: if you could choose a favorite character from one of your stories you've written, who would it be? It could be a bsb or original character since we all write the boys a bit differently.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #206 on: July 07, 2012, 09:04:06 PM »

My favourite character that I've ever written was actually Nick in February Stars. That story is old, and it's just a one-shot I wrote randomly one day a long time ago, but I loved writing him in that. It was the first time I'd tried true, first person Nick angst and I had a great time doing it. He's just so sad in that story because everyone else is growing up around him, and he feels so alone, and then when he feels that slight bit of hope at the end... yeah, I just really enjoyed writing Nick in that way, in the bridge between the younger him, and the older him before he got really deep into his issues.

I also love my original character of Brittany in my new story I'm working on. It's the first time I ever did a true character sketch before writing, where I decided her backstory and a whole bunch of stuff. I think it worked out really well because it does make her seem like a more legit character instead of just a random girl who's there to cause drama.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #207 on: July 07, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »

Yeah, I knew mine was going to rough because I dont really even have an answer for it either lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #208 on: July 07, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »

I'll have to think about yours, Tracy.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2012, 09:29:02 PM »

My favorite BSB character would be either Dr. Rough from 00Carter or Broken Nick.  Dr. Rough is my favorite way to write Howie, as an evil genius supervillain with a Napoleon complex, an eye twitch, and a love for genetically-altered animal minions.  Broken Nick is a drama queen, but I lived in his angsty little head for too long to not be attached.  I love him because he really turned out to be a dynamic character who changed so much over the course of the two stories, not just physically.  It was fun to knock him down repeatedly so he could pick himself back up again... figuratively and maybe a little bit literally too.  :P

For non-BSB characters, I think it'd have to be Claire from Broken.  She was the first well-developed original character I ever created, with a real personality and a backstory and whatnot.  I felt like I knew her so well, I knew exactly what she would say or do in any situation, and when I wrote against that instinct for the sake of creating drama, I knew that too.  That was the first time I'd felt that way about one of my characters, and I learned a lot from writing her that I've been able to use in creating other characters.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:33:42 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27