Fic Talk > Writer's Circle

Playlists

<< < (3/3)

Sakabelle:
I'll do mine for Running Up That Hill, since there's so many songs for that.

1. Running Up That Hill - Placebo
Obviously the title track. I love the angsty tone of this song, I think it really sets the mood for the whole story. I loved the way it was used at the beginning of Season 4 of The OC, and I was really into that show when I was first writing this story, which probably really shows. Whenever I need a little push of inspiration, I definitely put this song on. Also, when this song randomly comes on my iPod shuffle, I feel guilty for having not updated in a while LOL.

2. Can't Happen to Me - Charlie Major
This has always been one of my favourite songs, and the theme of it is about people who have the idea that their lives are untouchable. I think it really fits the beginning mood of the story when the guys think that things are great, and even though AJ's got problems, they never expected it to get to the point where the tour would have to come to a screeching halt.

3. Letters to God - Boxcar Racer
This song is really, really angsty. I just picture someone sitting in the dark playing their guitar every time I hear it LOL. I think the dark tone of this song coupled with the regretful lyrics are the perfect fit for when the guys are doing their TRL appearance to announce AJ's rehab.

4. Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day
I actually really don't like this Green Day song, but the extreme angst and the lonely theme of the song represented the separation of all the guys once they'd gone home and were doing their own thing.

5. Float On - Goldspot
I didn't want everyone to be angsty forever, so I went with something that was a little on the lighter side. The idea was that the guys were beginning to come to terms with what had happened, and that even though things were rough, they had hope that they were going to come out of it a-ok.

6. My My, Hey Hey - Neil Young
I used this song for the chapter when the guys find out that the record company is going to screw them over by putting out the greatest hits compilation. I've also found the lyrics in the song, "Out of the blue and into the black / They give you this but you pay for that / And once you're gone you can never come back / When you're out of the blue / And into the black" to be eerily close to what happened to BSB (the fact that they were never quite able to make a comeback after B&B) and have always connected that song with them and that time period. Though I'm sure Neil Young would be disgusted to know that haha.

7. Left and Leaving - The Weakerthans
I actually named an entire other story after this song too. It's another one of my "Backstreet songs" that I'll forever connect with them. The lyrics "The strangers whose faces I know / We meet here for our dress-rehearsal to say 'I wanted it this way' / Wait for the year to drown / Spring forward, fall back down / I'm trying not to wonder where you are." and "I'm back with scars to show / Back with the streets I know / Will never take me anywhere but here" remind me so much of the break after B&B and when they came back for Never Gone. I always picture the five of them meeting up again for the first time when I hear this song, but I put it in Running Up That Hill because of all the stuff that happened during the B&B era which caused them to have that extended break in the first place.

8. The Hell Song - Sum 41
The fact that this song is about coming to terms with something awful that happened to a friend, and that it makes you realize what's really important in life made this song the perfect fit for the story, as the guys begin to think about their lives outside of BSB a little more.

9. Airplanes - B.o.B/Hayley Williams
I love this song, and I love the fact that there's an excellent IWITW mashup for it. I love the fact that this song is about how the music industry changes you, and how things aren't always what you expect them to be when you go into it, and you just want to make good music and have people care about that instead of all the other stuff. I thought it was really reflective of BSB's rise to fame.

10. Little Rock - Colin Raye
This song is just behind Running Up That Hill in the inspiration and theme of the story. It's about this guy who has a drinking problem and leaves his life behind to turn it around. It was absolutely perfect because thte guys go to visit AJ on Day 19 of the break and there's a lyric in the song that says "I haven't had a drink in 19 days / My eyes are clear and bright without that haze" which I almost used as the lyrics at the top, but decided to go with "I don't know why I held it all inside / You must've thought I never even tried" because I thought it would be more reflective of what all the guys were going through in that chapter, not just AJ. This song is just perfect for the story. It's sad, but hopeful. And I think that, even though a lot of bad things are happening while AJ's in rehab, AJ himself is on his own journey while the story's taking place, and his part is definitely hopeful.

11. Brothers - Vic Mignogna
I love this song about two brothers who take the same path, and are trying to atone for their sins. I think it definitely fits as though all the guys are dealing with this break differently, they all took the same path (that is, being in the group) to get there, so they're really not all that different. They were all responsible for the group, and they all did things that lead to their much needed break.

12. Morally Deficient Business - Novillero
This song about doing something just because you feel you should be, and going through the motions even though you're not into it anymore really fits the guys at this point, I think. They really seemed like they were still just in the group because they had to be, not necessarily because they wanted to be.

There are lot more songs used in that story, but those are definitely the more important ones. A lot of the other songs are just ones I was listening to and liked the melody of, not necessarily the lyrics. That, and I wanted to explain ones where the reasoning behind the lyrics might not have been so clear.

RokofAges75:
Running Up that Hill is a GREAT angsty song, probably because it reminds me of The OC as well LOL.

And I would love to hear the mash-up of IWITW and Airplanes!  I'm too lazy to look for it right now, so if you have a chance, post a link!

Sakabelle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMElcUXFDZQ

I can't get enough of it. I love it!

RokofAges75:
Thanks!  I love it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version