Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 7  (Read 47567 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the day part 7
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2012, 08:15:10 AM »

I would actually say that now I'm less picky as a reader than I was before. My tastes are pretty much the same, but now I give a lot more leeway on bad grammar/spelling and story flow.Also, back in the day there was a lot more fic to choose from, so I generally stuck with reading Nick romance stuff (even though I liked other genres, there was just a lot more to read) just because that was my favourite so that was what I wound up reading. Now, there's less to choose from so I have found I have more time almost to give things a chance that I would have waited on before just because I had so many trashy Nick stories to read, lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »

Do you tend to post a new story right away or do you wait until you have a few chapters to post? What makes you decide to write a new story? Do you base it on what people like to read or what you feel like writing and then does it bother you if you don't get the feedback or attention after you post it?

As a reader, do you tend to get excited if one of your favorite authors says they are going to post a new story despite the fact that you don't know what it's going to be about? If after they post it, you see it's not something you'd like to read, do you find yourself still clicking and reading just because they are one of your favorite authors and you added to the "yes can't wait to read so please post it soon!!" bugging lol

I know that's a lot of questions but I have learned to post while they are in my head!

I don't post straight away, I wait until I know where the story is going to go.  I've made the mistake in the past of just posting before I even know what the story is going to be fully about, and it never ended well.

I write what I want to write and the things that interest me.  Hopefully they appeal to others, but if not, then there's not a lot I can do about it.  Obviously I do like getting feedback, but I don't write just for that, I do it because it's something I enjoy.

I do have my favourite writers and I get excited when I see something new by them, but even some of my favourites have got lots of stories I haven't got around to reading yet.  I wouldn't read if I didn't enjoy it though, because that would be false of me to say "yay, I love it" if really I didn't.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2012, 04:15:17 PM »

Do you find yourself more picky as a reader now then you were before? Or do you find yourself more willing to try new things? How have your tastes changed over the years? Or have they pretty much stayed the same?

I don't think my taste has changed much, but I don't click on everything like I used to!  When I first joined here and was finding my way around, I read all sorts of stuff as I got to know what kind of writers I liked.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2012, 05:53:09 PM »

I've gotten very picky over the years. I have a very small window of things I'm willing to read. I wish I wasn't as picky because every single story I have invested in, have been pretty much abandoned by their authors.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »

My tastes haven't really changed over the years, but like SakaSteph said, I probably read a wider variety of stories now just because there are less to choose from and, thus, less in my genres of choice.  At the same time, though, I'm a lot pickier than I used to be because my standards are higher.  Poor writing turns me off, and overdone cliches bore me.  It takes a well-written story with something new and different to keep me truly interested and entertained.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2012, 10:40:35 PM »

I'm starting to find myself become more picky with what I read because people keep abandoning stories or starting new ones before others are finished. I have not started reading anything new in about a month because of that. I'm patient and will read updates as they come, but it will make me hesitant to read anything new by the same person.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2012, 12:07:41 AM »

I've gotten to where I only post stories I know I'm going to finish. As in I have a solid idea of where it's going, an outline, etc. If all I have is a prologue and an idea, I sit on it. I've got a couple I'm doing that with right now cause I'm determined to finish another story before I start one. (I'm trying to only have two stories at a time, not counting one-shots or collabs LOL). The one I had the most self control with was RMTW. I was ahead of myself posting wise for a while with that one. And even when I finally caught up to myself I was really good about consistently posting updates lol.

As a reader, I'm rather picky, I'm not even gonna lie lol. I'll click on a lot of things but I click out of almost all of them. It's gonna depend on the quality of writing and if the plot keeps me interested. I kinda wish I wasn't so picky but yeah.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2012, 06:08:08 AM »

Today's question: What if anything makes you stop reading a story? Have you ever stopped reading a story even after you had hit more than the halfway mark?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2012, 08:21:28 AM »

The only reason I'll stop reading a story is if I lose interest in it... which may be because the plot takes it in a direction I don't like and it becomes a completely different story, or because it drags on too long and gets boring, or because it takes so long to be updated that I lose track of the plot.  Usually it's the latter.  Most of the time I'll finish out a story I've invested time in reading just to see how it ends.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2012, 12:21:48 PM »

The only time I ever really lose interest in a story is if it outlives it's plot and becomes never ending or suddenly turns down a path I don't enjoy reading but most times i'll finish it if I am so far into it I feel like I can't walk away lol

The exception to that rule for me lately are stories that are rarely if ever updated. I find that when they eventually are I am not nearly as excited about reading it as I was when it initially was posted and might tend to wait until it's completely done before commiting anymore time into it for fear that the author will leave me hanging for a few more months at a time. lol

I don't have the patience I used to!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2012, 01:11:54 PM »

It takes a lot for me to stop reading something. There's only one story I've stopped reading, one where the author kept saying in her chapter notes she wasn't going to update because people weren't reviewing enough. After I saw that I became annoyed and stopped reading.

If someone doesn't update frequently I can deal with it, but like I said in my other post, it makes me hesitant to try anything new by them.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »

Oh, bringing up the author's note brings me to another question since I tend to disappear until the weekends lol

Does an author's personality ever spark you to read or not read a story? For instance, if you know they are just the sweetest thing ever but you know you won't enjoy the story, are you more willing to give it a try? Or the opposite, if the author is self involved and threatening not to update unless they get reviews does that ever influence whether to read their stuff or not?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »

Today's question: What if anything makes you stop reading a story? Have you ever stopped reading a story even after you had hit more than the halfway mark?

If the story just isn't interesting me I'll stop within the first few chapters.  But if I've got past the first few chapters or halfway through, then I'll carry on reading because I want to know how it ends.  I usually know after a few chapters whether I'm going to like the story.

I can handle slow updates as long as I know the author is still around and hasn't vanished off the face of the earth.  That's why there are some stories which have been recommended to me that I won't read, because I don't want to invest all that time into reading only to never know the ending, it would annoy me, lol.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2012, 02:05:53 PM »

If someone is a nice person or a bitch, I will still read if the story interests me. That doesn't really play a factor if the story is well written and I like it.

I will admit when I first started at AC I did ask for reviews in my very early stories. I didn't hold off from updating, I just didn't know any better lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2012, 02:20:56 PM »

Oh, bringing up the author's note brings me to another question since I tend to disappear until the weekends lol

Does an author's personality ever spark you to read or not read a story? For instance, if you know they are just the sweetest thing ever but you know you won't enjoy the story, are you more willing to give it a try? Or the opposite, if the author is self involved and threatening not to update unless they get reviews does that ever influence whether to read their stuff or not?

If I know I won't enjoy the story, then I won't read it, no matter who has written it.  Just like I wouldn't expect someone I was friends with to read my stuff just because we were friends, I know that we all like different things and I'd hate for someone to feel like they had to read.

If a writer was begging for reviews and threatening not to post until they got the amount of reviews they wanted, well that would make me not want to review at all.  I might read the story though, depends how good it is.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19