Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: What's everyone reading?  (Read 13874 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: What's everyone reading?
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2015, 11:25:54 PM »

Loved the Maze Runner books... you are wondering what is going on from the very beginning since the main character has no memory and you figure things out as he does.  The author kept me wondering what he was going to do next the entire time... where the plot was going exactly.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2015, 05:15:18 AM »

I'll have to check it out. I decided on another sci if book instead. Seveneves by Neal Stephenson, have you read it? It seems like something you'd enjoy. I've never tried reading a straight out sci fi before.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2015, 12:15:25 AM »

I have not read that book, not sure I'd even heard of it until now. I'll look it up.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2015, 02:54:15 AM »

I haven't read anything for so long, but took an easy read book on honeymoon called The Cupid Effect by Dorothy Koomson, I enjoyed it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2015, 06:59:07 AM »

I'm starting to slow down on Seven Eves. Sometimes it gets a little too science-y for me. Overall it's still a good read though.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2015, 05:01:18 PM »

I seriously haven't read a book for fun since I finished Gone Girl last year, but I just started "The Girl on the Train" the other day, and I'm already almost done with it!  I don't want to give too much away, but it's a mystery, sort of in the same vein as Rear Window, and it's got some characters who will keep you guessing.  I can't wait to find out how it all turns out.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2015, 05:04:16 PM »

"The Girl on the Train" was an awesome book! I loved it! Not giving anything away but I figured out who it was about three quarters of the way which says a lot because usually I am pretty quick to figure this stuff out. I am Nancy Drew lol

"All the Light We Cannot See" was an incredible read as well.

I'm at the halfway point of Seven Eves finally lol
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:06:44 PM by mare »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2015, 05:37:10 PM »

I have some thoughts, but I also keep changing my mind as I find out more, so who knows!  I am usually terrible at figuring out whodunit, though, so I will probably end up being surprised.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2015, 11:13:38 PM »

Mare, I finished it yesterday and figured it out right before it was confirmed in the book.  Good read!  Now I'm reading Paper Towns in case I want to see the movie when it comes out.  So far, so good.  All The Light We Cannot See sounds good too.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2015, 03:27:09 AM »

Paper Towns and Finding Alaska have both been on my reading list for awhile now.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2015, 12:28:13 PM »

I'm enjoying it so far, but it's no Fault in Our Stars.  At least not yet.  I'm only about a third of the way through it, though, so I have a ways to go.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2015, 04:09:09 PM »

I finally finished "Seven Eves" it had such a great premise and I really enjoyed the first half but then the story jumped 5,000 years into the future where apparently the author who wrote the first half was replaced by someone who just couldn't hold my interest. It was probably the dumbest ending of a book ever. So, I recommend the first half but not the second lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2015, 07:09:11 AM »

I'll give that a miss then lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2015, 08:31:12 AM »

Good call lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »

I never posted about finishing "Paper Towns" over the summer, but I did and... it was still just alright.  Like I said before, it's no Fault in Our Stars.  I don't even care about seeing the movie, which was the whole point of reading it.  Oh well.

I just finished "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" the other day.  According to the Amazon reviews, it was supposed to be better than The Fault in Our Stars.  I liked it, thought it was funny, but it was definitely no Fault in Our Stars either.  I'm all for cancer books being funny, but I just feel like, even if they try to defy all the cliches of the genre, they should still make you cry at least once by the end, and this one didn't.

Has anyone read any great YA novels or children's chapter books lately that would be good for me to read and recommend to my students?  My fourth graders are blogging about books, and I like to blog along with them as an example, so I need to be reading something that's appropriate to share with ten-year-olds.  I finished "Wonder" by R.J. Palaccio a few weeks ago, and that was wonderful, but I need to find something new that would be okay for them to read too.  I tried Me and Earl and the Dying Girl because I knew it was a YA book, but it was waaaaaay too inappropriate for fourth graders.  I don't think the Walking Dead comics are going to cut it either LOL.
~Julie

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13