Fic Talk > Felix Awards

Felix Awards 2012 press room!

<< < (6/7) > >>

Purpura Lipstick:
Can I just say how completely shocked I was to win Best sci-fi/fantasy/supernatural story! I didn't think that many people were reading the story/knew the story honestly.  I was up against some outstanding authors and some great stories.  And Steph and I got 2 runner up nods for our collaboration and it's the first we've done! Such a great surprise in those areas as well.    Thank you everyone for nominating me and for voting.  I hope I continue to write stories that you can enjoy.

julilly:

--- Quote from: Sapphire on February 19, 2013, 04:20:28 PM ---I am not trying to insult anyone. I do feel that the same people win over and over. I'm sure they deserve it but I think there are others who deserve recognition. And before you assume it, I am not talking about myself. I don't do this for any accolades. I do it because it's fun for me and allows me to escape reality for a little while.

Don't worry Rose. I won't be coming back here. I knew I was better off staying away from this forum and I see now I was right.

--- End quote ---

I don't disagree with you - a lot of the same people win. Ultimately, it's the readers and writers who choose the nominees and choose the winners. It's impossible to get away from the "popularity contest", as it were, because that's what it comes down to when you consider that it's vote-based.

I can honestly say though that some of these categories were won by VERY slim margins. If more people had actually bothered to participate in the voting portion the results may have been surprisingly different. One or two people could have changed the outcome in a lot of categories.

I don't know why you feel you should stay away, no one attacked you. I was curious because I've looked for feedback every time we've held awards. It's better to not make the comment if you don't want anyone to ask but I don't think it's worth leaving over, you're allowed to feel the way you do.

RokofAges75:
A lot of the same people did win, but a lot of the same people were also nominated.  You can't blame the people who won because, as Julilly said, it's the readers who do the nominating and  the voting.  Sure, you can vote for yourself, but only once, and you're not allowed to nominate yourself, nor is an author/story allowed to win the same award more than once.  So none of these same people have won in the same category for the same story before.

Unfortunately, there just isn't as much variety in the fandom as there used to be.  There are fewer authors still writing and not as many options to choose from in certain genres, which narrows the playing field.  I really had a hard time nominating something in every category this year because I only wanted to nominate well-written, finished, recent stories by authors who are currently writing - I felt it would be more meaningful than nominating old favorites by authors who are unreachable and couldn't care less about BSB fanfic anymore.  But that definitely limited my choices.

In the end, it all comes down to the opinions of those who actually took the time to nominate and vote.  If the awards had been judged, it would have been down to the opinion of a few judges.  Either way, people with differing opinions would probably complain.  It's impossible to please everyone, but the drama takes the fun out of these things.

Carter-Orange:

--- Quote from: Purpura Lipstick on February 19, 2013, 04:39:53 PM ---Can I just say how completely shocked I was to win Best sci-fi/fantasy/supernatural story! I didn't think that many people were reading the story/knew the story honestly.  I was up against some outstanding authors and some great stories.  And Steph and I got 2 runner up nods for our collaboration and it's the first we've done! Such a great surprise in those areas as well.    Thank you everyone for nominating me and for voting.  I hope I continue to write stories that you can enjoy.

--- End quote ---

I was shocked that we got runner-up too, but a nice shocked :)

Carter-Orange:
As for the same people winning, I feel that comment is unfair.  The people who took part did so fairly and I'm sure no one goes into it expecting to win, after all, it is voted on by the readers. 

I know that I vote for the stories I love, I wouldn't look at the categories and think "well she's never won so I'll vote for her".  If I'm voting for the same people over again it's because I love their stories.  In fact, in some categories there were tough choices to be made.

I enjoy these awards, they're a bit of fun and I hope they'll carry on in the future!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version