Fic Talk > I Challenge You....

Part one of the 2014 summer reading challenge! The participants!

(1/10) > >>

mare:
Happy Easter and Happy BSB anniversary!

I decided to post this a little early to give you more time to figure out what you'd like to submit to the challenge and also hopefully give people who do not know about it, time to sign up to the forum and participate. So I'm asking for all of you to let everyone on AC know about this challenge. If you have a friend who regularly posts on AC but skips the forum or regularly reads stories but does not come on here. This is for them too!

How will it work?

If you are interested in participating in the challenge this year all you have to do is fill out the form below. I would like you to choose anywhere from 1 to 5 stories of yours that you feel deserve the chance to be read. You probably want to avoid stories that are really popular and well read because the chances of someone picking it as a challenge will be slim, but even still if it does fall under that category but yet you feel there are some who have avoided it until now, add it to the list.

Obviously if you've only written one or two stories, just use those!

Once you have filled out the form, you MUST participate in the challenge. Even if no one picks one of your stories you are agreeing to read two of the ones posted. Yes I said two. Because you're not really being assigned an author, this year I'd like you to pick TWO stories to read from the list. You cannot pick two stories by the same author though. If you are a reader and not a writer you must pick THREE

* There will be an exception to this rule - depending on which stories you pick, I may have you only read one if it's more than 40 chapters in length and or the word count is exceptionally high. I will probably put an (*) next to those stories.

The reading rules pretty much are the same as always:

Once you commit to a story you have to see it all the way through to the end and give feedback along the way. Feedback which consists of more than "Great job!" or "Can't wait to read the next chapter!" Real feedback having to do with what you just read. This year to help those of you along who struggle with that, We'll post some examples of how to leave constructive criticism. We want everyone to get the most out of this challenge and to the authors, the feedback is key.

I will be leaving you 'friendly' reminders to do so!

You may pick something you started reading but never finished. I mean just started, maybe only got to the first few chapters and then fell behind and stopped. Please don't pick something you've already read all the way through or only have a few chapters to go before you're done. Where's the challenge in that?

Try to pick something that's slightly out of your comfort zone, but it's okay if you just go with something you might have just missed the first time through.

So, there ya go ladies! If you plan on participating, fill out the form below by Wednesday, May 14th!

If you are including more than one story put them all on ONE form. You can always edit your post to include them later but it'll be less confusing that way. Remember you can choose up to 5 stories to submit for this challenge.

I know I probably don't have to say this part but just in case, Don't paste this entire post with your form, just this bottom portion!

Thanks!!! :)

This year's participants so far:

carterkid
DelphinaCarter
Ritz (reader only)
Carter-Orange
Mare
emily_michele
Julilly
Carter
Rose
Kyrie
KeepThisSecret
freedomwriter

Happy Reading!  :)

*Do not submit a story that is less than 10 chapters long or something you just started posting. We do not want to have to wait for updates during the summer. People should be able to read at their own leisure. It doesn't have to be complete, but complete enough...

You may submit one shots but if you do, you need to submit at least 5 -10 of them together as a compilation  otherwise there's not much for the participant reading it to do.

Summer Reading Challenge participation form for the non writers

AC screen name:
What were the last three stories you read?
What is your favorite fanfic of all time?
Do you regularly leave feedback for the authors?

Summer Reading Challenge participation form

Pen name:

Story you are submitting (including a link):
Give us a quick summary:
Who is the main character?
What genre is it?
How many chapters?
Is it complete?
Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more)
What do you like best about your story?
Would you consider it popular?
Why are you choosing this one for people to read?
Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc)

mare:
Guys just a heads up, post your form in here. Do not pm them to me.

Thanks!

carterkid:
Pen name:Carterkid

Switch- http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10989

Give us a quick summary:Nick and Kevin switch lives.

Who is the main character? Nick and Kevin/group

What genre is it? Switch is Dramedy, Fantasy.

How many chapters? Switch has 14 so far.

Is it complete? No

Are your chapters long or short? short.

What do you like best about your story? That I'm taking the time to make semi-long  stories.

Would you consider it popular? If you call 2000 and something on the 'read count' popular but it could be me. lol

Why are you choosing this one for people to read?  Only stories I had passed 10 chapters.

Anything else we should know about it? Some hospital stuff but that's about it.

Future Boy- http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10945

Give us a quick summary: Nick meets his son.

Who is the main character? Nick/group

What genre is it? Adventure,  Dramedy

How many chapters? 17 so far.

Is it complete? No

Are your chapters long or short? a little of both

What do you like best about your story? That I'm taking the time to make semi-long  stories.

Would you consider it popular? If you call 2000 and something on the 'read count' popular but it could be me. lol

Why are you choosing this one for people to read?  Only stories I had passed 10 chapters.

Anything else we should know about it? There will be death at some point.

FrickingKaos:
Pen name: DelphinaCarter

Submission #1:

Incomplete http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9526

Give us a quick summary: Nick is in a coma and has a strange experience in a alternate universe.

Who is the main character? Nick but the whole group is in it.

What genre is it? Angst, Comedy, Drama

How many chapters? 18

Is it complete? Yes

Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more)

somewhat on the short side.

What do you like best about your story?

It's very old school, lots of cheese and bromance.

Would you consider it popular?

No, it was the first story I'd ever posted to AC. I wasn't well known then.

Why are you choosing this one for people to read?

I want people to see how much I have grown as a writer. My writing when I was first starting on AC was a bit cringe worthy but I am my own worst critic. I want to see if anyone feels the same way.

Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc)

It's a bit on the weird side, and I use a lot of really bad fanfic cliches. There is even a lovely "singing Nick out of the coma" scene.

Submission #2:

Story you are submitting (include a link):

When I grow Up: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10595

Give us a quick summary: Nick wishes he was an adult so people stop treating him like a child. Based on the film 13 Going On 30.

Who is the main character? Nick, but the other boys are included.

What genre is it? Comedy

How many chapters?

Is it complete? Yes

Are your chapters long or short (long- 2,000 words or more) In the middle.

What do you like best about it? It was a fun story to write and some of the scenes came out really well.

Would you consider it popular? Not really. It was a story I wrote for fun.

Why are you choosing this one? Mare had suggested that I include it a few months back in one of the question threads so I decided to see if anyone else would like to.

Anything else we should know about it? (sexual, slash, etc)

This story is somewhat a parody so I don't expect it to be taken seriously. Its mostly a fun read.

Submisson #3:

Jizzle Of Oz: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10417

Give us a quick summary: Direct Parody of The Wizard Of Oz starring Nick as "Dorothy".

Who is the main character? Nick but the group is also included.

What genre is it? Comedy

How many chapters? 11

Is it complete? Yes.

Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more) Short

What do you like best about your story? It's old school cheese which I love.

Would you consider it popular? It had decent feedback, but no.

Why are you choosing this one for people to read?  -I thought it would be a fun and something different.

Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc)  - It is a direct parody of The Wizard Of Oz, so if you don't like that this isn't for you.

Submission #4:

Weird World

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10854

Give us a quick summary: Kevin is involved in a plot against Nick and the rest of the group.

Who is the main character? Nick and Kevin but the group is inclided.

What genre is it? Action/Adventure, Drama

How many chapters? 32

Is it complete? No

Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more)  Medium length

What do you like best about your story?  Its very unique and has a interesting storyline.

Would you consider it popular? Not really.

Why are you choosing this one for people to read? Because I have been stuck for about a year or so and would like to finish it. I don't know where to go to achieve that.

Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc) it has a lot of violence.

mare:
Just reminding everyone that we're starting this already. Even if you aren't quite ready to list stories etc... Maybe drop in and let us know you are going to participate. I will definitely be participating, I just haven't decided which of my stories I want to submit yet. I have too many lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version