Fic Talk > Featured Story of the Month

FS for May: Story #100 - Hope is the Last Thing Ever Lost by Mare

<< < (4/8) > >>

RokofAges75:
I love Tim, in a twisted way.  He is one of my most favorite original characters in fan fiction because there is so much depth to him, and that is what makes for a strong villain.  Even though he was a threat to our Boys, I couldn't help but feel for him, in a way.  He was batshit crazy, but he wasn't completely evil.  I feel like he just wanted to be loved, but had never had a good example of what a healthy relationship looks like, so, as Pammy said, he had no idea how to interact with people.  I love this story, and I'm so glad it was chosen because I think it's probably your best yet in terms of the character development and quality of writing.

julilly:
Mare, as someone who is very vocal about a dislike for original characters, what do you think about how much people talk about the original character in this story? Is it an incentive for you to turn this into a completely original concept?

mare:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 05, 2015, 06:18:36 PM ---I love Tim, in a twisted way.  He is one of my most favorite original characters in fan fiction because there is so much depth to him, and that is what makes for a strong villain.  Even though he was a threat to our Boys, I couldn't help but feel for him, in a way.  He was batshit crazy, but he wasn't completely evil.  I feel like he just wanted to be loved, but had never had a good example of what a healthy relationship looks like, so, as Pammy said, he had no idea how to interact with people.  I love this story, and I'm so glad it was chosen because I think it's probably your best yet in terms of the character development and quality of writing.

--- End quote ---

Thanks so much for saying that. I would agree with you. I feel like this fanfic was my best work. I'm really proud of every element of it and would choose this one to represent my writing. I am beyond flattered that you feel Tim is one of your favorite original characters, just wow! :)

mare:

--- Quote from: julilly on May 06, 2015, 12:04:42 AM ---Mare, as someone who is very vocal about a dislike for original characters, what do you think about how much people talk about the original character in this story? Is it an incentive for you to turn this into a completely original concept?

--- End quote ---

Aww, I don't hate original characters at all. I think they are a vital part of good storytelling. What I've been vocal about is how I hate it when an original character becomes the MAIN character in a BSB fanfic. I feel like BSB should be the main characters in this fandom & that thinking on my part will never change lol

I feel like Tim is an example of an original character who plays an important role in the storytelling but remains just one component of the challenges the boys have to get through. I am completely flattered that so many people love Tim and as I've mentioned to Pammy in my reply to her, he was meant to be a main character in an original fic. But he kind of worked as the supporting guy in this one. I would definitely love to explore more possibilities when it comes to him, but as far as his life in BSB, his story is complete.

julilly:
Were you at all surprised by the reader response to this story?
Is there any behind the scenes info you think fans of the story would find interesting?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version