Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Just a general pop in thread  (Read 378 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Just a general pop in thread
« Reply #30 on: Today at 10:17:20 AM »

Hopefully!  People can be so pushy.  I don't mind people throwing out suggestions as long as they can accept the fact that I may not use them.  It bothers me when people I've never heard from otherwise do that, though.  Like, have you even read my work??  How come you've never left a comment before?  So rude.

I enjoy your occasional tweet thread about the importance of giving feedback, btw.  The lack of comments on AO3 is really pathetic.  I feel like I can't complain because, if you sort stories by number of comments within the BSB fandom, many of my novels show up on the first page... and yet, I get very few comments there compared to what I used to get on AC.  And most of the ones I do get are from the same few people.  (Thanks, Steph!)  I always reply, too, which then doubles the total number of comments.  I don't like that replies count because that is also misleading.  I don't know why people there - even fellow writers - are so reluctant to comment.  You don't even have to be registered or signed in to do it!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Just a general pop in thread
« Reply #31 on: Today at 11:01:56 AM »

I know! I hate that about the replies to comments too!

Thanks! It's a rant that needs to be ranted every once in a while. lol I read a girl's short story last night and left a comment and saw I was the only one who did. Then I looked at her kudos and noticed all these names of people who actually write stories in the fandom and for some reason it made me really angry! It's like, they all know how important feedback is and they are too lazy to leave just a good job! Or something like that? I get it, a little with people who don't write. They may not understand how time-consuming writing tends to be, but writers get it.

The lack of feedback is crazy on AO3. I wish that stupid kudos button didn't exist. People hit that thing and think okay there ya go! We all did a lot better giving feedback on AC. I wish I could go back and see how many reviews I had and read the ones I got. I think we were spoiled there. I know I had way over 100 reviews typically on most of my more popular stories, and that didn't include our author responses which as you know is another pet peeve of mine. People who don't respond to their reviews.

At least the girl who randomly requested something, actually has left a couple reviews. But yes, don't make a request after not saying anything or like I said in my rant, don't let your very first comment be "How come this hasn't been updated?" lmao *smack!*
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: 1 2 [3]