Welcome > Rules and News

Major Site Update News

<< < (3/5) > >>

RokofAges75:
No worries, thanks for trying to figure it out!

RokofAges75:
I'm sorry to be the one who keeps reporting issues, but I noticed there are all these strange characters (’) in place of certain punctuation marks (apostrophes and quotation marks, maybe others as well).  We had a similar issue on the old site, which seemed to be worse with stories written in Microsoft Word because of the way it automatically formats certain punctuation marks (flipping quotation marks so they curve the right way, turning three periods into ellipses, converting hyphens into em-dashes, etc.).  At some point, AC stopped recognizing those punctuation marks, so I had to do a lot of editing and reposting of my old stories to get them to look right again.  Now it's doing it again with newer stories I wrote in Google Docs and posted as plain text to attempt to remove any weird formatting that might cause an issue.

It sounds like it's a problem with the character set.  Here's an explanation I found: https://blog.codeasite.com/weird-characters-like-a-are-showing-up-on-my-site/  Hopefully this is something that can be fixed easily.  Thanks for looking into it when time allows!

Chaos:
Don't feel bad for reporting the issues--it's really appreciated!  Now getting them fixed may take some time, but it definitely helps to know things I need to look at! (Of course this is all hitting during moving week for 2 of my nephews, so my time is limited this week to work on getting these issue fixed.)  I believe I should be able to run some code in the database to update the story summaries and notes to correct the encoding, but am looking for a way to mass update it in the text files for the story text as well, which may take longer. Or I may see if restoring from the backup taken right before the upgrade might undo whatever happened, too.

By all means, if you spot any other issues, please let me know and I'll keep plugging away at it.  :cheers:

(Edit: That link you provided was really helpful, too! Easy fix. I think it should be good now, I am still going to make sure the character set gets updated in the text files just because I think it'll make future upgrades or conversions easier, but the code from that link I believe will mask the issue in the meantime.) 

RokofAges75:
Yay, my stories look normal again!  Thanks for looking into it; I'm glad it was a quick fix for now.

Chaos:
Alas, the overall issue where it won't allow new chapters to be added remains elusive.  I rebuilt the site (again) to one of my other websites to try and duplicate the error and it's not getting that error (or another error that was causing me to not be able to delete some of the obviously "spam" members without going and editing the database directly.) 

The good news is the new chapter problem doesn't seem to be affecting the database itself at all because I was able to use it in the alternate location without having the same issue(s).  The story directories seem to have the correct permissions since existing chapters are able to be updated. So, that seems to indicate something weird in the efiction scripts. To get archive functionality back, I suspect that I'll need to uninstall/delete it off this server and reinstall the efiction software. That shouldn't be too bad (unless it doesn't work...) so hopefully I'll be able to get it back up and running this weekend. Don't be surprised if you stumble on the site and it appears to be down. Most likely that's when I'm working on the reinstall and it should be back up shortly...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version