Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Making leaving reviews easier...  (Read 14780 times)

IwantAJ

Making leaving reviews easier...
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:34:23 PM »

Ok so forgive me if you have already tried this out. But I only visit this site probably twice a month and spend about two hours and well *Covers face* sometimes I don't have enough time to put in a review for every chapter or story I read. So I was thinking and this is also because I have a friend and cousin that are part of this site. They are always down cause no reviews seem to be coming through. Ok well I was thinking wouldn't it be nice if maybe the average person that *makes quotes* doesn't have time, the mind, or just doesn't like to write...put some type of review in. LIke have a prompt that reads
  • I loved it
  • Not my cup of tea
  • I liked it
  • It was ok
  • I hate it
and then those that don't mind writing can still have their little box to comment what they want.
Well anyways it's just a suggestion. Let me know what you think. :-\

peace![/color]

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Making leaving reviews easier...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 07:39:13 PM »

I dunno... I think if you have enough time to read, you have enough time to at least type in something generic like "I loved it."  That takes, what, 2 seconds?  And I think if they made it even easier to leave the generic reviews, there would be more generic reviews and less meaningful ones.  Having just a plain white box to type in lends itself better to something BEYOND just "It was ok."

Don't get me wrong; I think any review, even a generic one-liner, is better than none at all, cause at least then you know someone has read and enjoyed your story.  But I don't think we should make it easier to leave generic reviews, as opposed to something that someone actually put a little thought into.  It really is not that time-consuming to leave a review.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 07:58:20 PM »

I don't think so either. It's really easy to type something in the bottom. And if you're so engrossed in the story, then just leave something at the end. I actually know a lot of people who wait until they've finished to leave reviews. So... I don't really think what they have now is so bad either. :)

Julie said it perfectly, really. lol

*is sad that pink was used*
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:04:03 PM »

Yeah, I don't think anyone expects you to review every chapter, especially if you're spending 2 hours reading a story that is already posted.  I would just leave one big review at the end, in that case.  Reviews every chapter make more sense when you're only reading a story as it's posted, one chapter at a time.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:21:39 PM »

I agree with the above. Besides, in the time it takes you to pick one of the generic answers you could very easily just say 'that was great' and click send. The people who are too lazy to leave reviews will also be too lazy to bother to click something at the bottom lol 
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »

^Totally agree with that too. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

IwantAJ

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 08:37:46 PM »

I see what you guys mean...I also didn't think that people might just start clicking on things without caring. So your right...if people have time to read it all they can leave reviews at the end. Thanks for your opinions.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 08:41:36 PM »

Not a problem. I think it's an age old dilemma here. How to get people to actually leave reviews lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 08:44:02 PM »

Oh yes... that's the big problem - either way, people are just lazy or think it's not important for them to leave a review. 
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 08:55:51 PM »

Snaps. lol

Well, at least we all know that the people who like it review, for the most part. :)
~*Dee*~