Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Banners and summaries  (Read 16019 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Banners and summaries
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:58:26 AM »

I thought this might help people who are looking for a good size for banners and summaries.

You all know by now that there are rules for banner sizes but you also want to keep in mind that sometimes when summaries take up half a page they can be just as annoying as a huge banner.

I'm going to post some links to stories that in my opinion have the perfect sized banners and summaries.

This one is a great example:
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9116&warning=4

The banner is very small but really well made. It draws your attention but for all the right reasons. Then you have the perect length for a summary. It's short, sweet and to the point.

This is another great example:
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9068

The banner is long which I think makes it easier to load for people. Once again it's not too big or in your face. The summary is a few sentences at the most.

This is another good example:
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9102

The banner is a little bigger than the other two but because it's long it doesn't feel big and the summary is short, sweet and to the point.

This has to be my favorite though:
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8866

No banner and two sentences to sum up what the story is about.

So, for any new writers to AC out there that are looking for a good gauge for banners and summaries, use those as your guidelines.

Thank you :)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Banners and summaries
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:21:11 AM »

A good guideline might be this:

If you go to look at your summary on the Most Recent page or wherever, and it's impossible for you to see your whole story entry (from the title to where it says Add Author to Favorites) in the window without scrolling, OR it's impossible for you to see your whole story entry and at least part of the next story's, you're taking up too much room.

I'm not going to post a specific example at the risk of offending someone, but if you're not sure what I'm talking about, I've encountered a couple prime examples in The Tens.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »

Another tip:  If your summary has multiple PARAGRAPHS (not just sentences... paragraphs), it's probably too long LOL.

Also, I think it's cheating the rules to have multiple banners in a summary if the banners are stacked on top of each other, taking up more than 600 pixels just vertically.  Like Mare said, the banners that are long horizontally aren't so bad because you can still scroll by them quickly, but the banners that take up a lot of vertical room and hog the whole page are annoying.  Four small banners put together so they make a giant square is no different than one HUGE square banner, in terms of having to scroll past that monstrosity.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:52:51 AM »

There shouldn't be more than one banner per story. If there is I will remove them so let me know lol

Also no awards links on the front page. If I see those unless you are using it as a banner and it's an okay size, we'll remove them as well.

And I agree about what Julie said concerning summaries. I was going to post examples of what not to do but I dind't want to offend anyone so instead i'll post a link to one of my april fools summaries as an example of what not to do!

Do not do this!

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8923&warning=4 lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:55:14 AM »

One more thing and then I promise i'll stop bitching about this lol for now anyway!

Please try not to leave huge spaces in your summaries.

For instance:

Summary: Nick and Dora the Explorer decide to go hiking

see what happens next!

^ there's no need for all that space. All it does is take up room! lol

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »

I just have to say, go me for being Mare's favorite on the summaries. :)
~Kelly~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:07:54 PM »

LOL yay Kelly!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 06:46:12 PM »

Actually you were my favorite banner example Kelly! lol

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »

That's what I meant. lol
~Kelly~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 10:39:24 PM »

:) lol

Tri

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:01:14 PM »

Yay, I'm glad one of my stories is on the list of example banners!  I always worry cause my banners are always around 596 pixels and I know I'm cutting it close!  lol.  :)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 05:50:44 AM »

Well at least knowing that your banner is on the larger side you do keep your summaries from being 2000 words lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 09:16:53 AM »

Yay, I'm glad one of my stories is on the list of example banners!  I always worry cause my banners are always around 596 pixels and I know I'm cutting it close!  lol.  :)

That's why I picked one of your smaller banners as an example. It's the smaller one people should use as a guideline. lol

Tri

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 10:02:18 AM »

That's why I picked one of your smaller banners as an example. It's the smaller one people should use as a guideline. lol
lol, well they're all between 593 and 596.  It's just that that one's more stretched out horizontally.  I could do all of them like that in the future if you'd prefer...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 10:21:45 AM »

I just think they take up less space on the most recent page, but it doesn't matter lol
Pages: [1] 2 3 4