Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Drop it like it's hot! Or... Updates from Dee. :o)  (Read 22363 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Drop it like it's hot! Or... Updates from Dee. :o)
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2021, 09:28:47 PM »

So the last little Author Chat I did, I talked about a trope I love: Five Man Bands. I was trying to think about what other tropes permeate PBox&Co and also had a little to do with what’s currently going on in PNecklace, so I guess let’s talk about wishes.

The Pandora Legend that gets discussed in the beginning of PBox is as follows (in case you don’t remember it, this is more a summary than a quote): Pandora appears to the demons who most longs for her, (“desperate” was the exact word used, which Nick took issue with, of course) then brings the demons who use pale blue light together and when they receive their powers back, they will fulfill the duties of their nation. And in return for this duty, Pandora gets wishes.

Now all of this is a little convoluted (in part from the abandoned constellation origins of this tale) and hasn’t fully been explained yet; we’ll start diving into it more as PNecklace continues, but if you’re familiar with the way myths work, then you may be able to start to piece it together despite the inherent vague vagueness of all of this. Meanwhile, let’s talk about wish tropes.

First the easy question, why three? Well, you always get three wishes. That’s really the only reason, lol.

The use of wishes in PBox really stems from two tropes that play on the inherent dichotomy of the major contrasts in the story: good versus evil, light versus darkness, hope versus despair, and so on (there are several of them, but those are the more major ones). These are: Bargain with Heaven and Deal with the Devil. Realistically, these are the same trope at their heart. Some mortal makes a deal with an all powerful being for something they want and the all powerful being gets something in return. There’s plenty of instances of mortals making deals with pantheons throughout history, but at their cores, these two really trace back to Christianity in their specifics. Bargain with Heaven is the older of the two, being present in the Bible’s text, and overall doesn’t have many ill-consequences for the mortal involved (unless they have some personal failing in their promise). Deal with the Devil, in the sense that we picture it, traces its codification back to Faust -- though it did exist before then and was really created as a subversion for Bargain with Heaven that included many more costs to the mortal involved. Interestingly enough, the subversion became way more popular and we typically see it more in media (guess everyone really does like Team Dark).

With PBox&Co being dominated by demons as major characters, you would think Deal with the Devil would be more prevalent in the story, but the wishes are presented as some sort of Bargain with Heaven. Though, as you know, the figure called “God” by Nick is hardly a god at all, so how much of the meeting with the “Emperor of the Heavens” is really bargaining with Heaven is up for debate. In fact, if you’re reading along, I encourage you to debate this. You know I always have fun things to reveal in the PBox&Co lore as time goes on.

The wishes Minako ultimately makes in the end would generally be seen as selfless, though clearly not permanent as all our characters have returned to demon land. This raises the question of if selfless wishes really open the box or make it serve its true purpose. Or, more realistically, is there a right wish to make on it? Minako and Nick spend a fair amount of time up to this point in their story discussing the power of wishes and what having that power would grant them. And in the beginning of PBox, Nick really wanted that power, hoping to receive “a light that makes miracles” in his own Bargain with Heaven. But, as fantasy often portrays, sometimes the journey is more important than the goal and along the way, Nick realizes that a light that makes miracles wasn’t necessarily the thing that would make him happy. Similarly, Minako becomes pretty adamant, especially after wishing on the box doesn’t stick, that wishing only does so much without action. So rather than a “right wish,” is there a “right action”? Everybody grapples with a lot in PBox&Co.

With all the focus on Bargain with Heaven in the end, Deal with a Devil is largely absent from the story. Many of the demons do make attempts at making them with the Pandoras (even Howie, even though he never gets far enough to “shake on it” with Minako, possibly just because she agrees without any sort of trade), but nothing’s ever fully solidified. There is one little demon constantly making promises and offering things… and that’s Nick, of course. And Minako does accept and reciprocate these things, and sometimes even initiates it. But it’s probably a fine line on whether this is any sort of Deal with the Devil; especially when Minako is offering “the deal” to Nick about as many times as he offers a deal to her. Is it inherently a Deal with the Devil if one party is a demon? But PBox&Co is a subversion by premise. As you know, the short way I describe it to people outside our fandom is “it’s about demons, but they’re the heroes.” And let’s be honest, it’s hard to make sinister deals when you’re the hero, even if you are a demon. This comes up again, but we’ll talk on that more next week when it’s probably time we went back to our mythology discussion.

Anyone else have thoughts on wishes in PBox or PNecklace? Let’s chat tropes, y’all! As always, see you next Wednesday!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2021, 09:32:43 PM »

I'm a little behind on updating my updates thread because I was starving. So, update!

If you would still like to read PBox, I will include both location links below. While all fifty chapters of PBox are complete, it is still undergoing the tiniest cursory edit where I change the paragraph alignment of the "~*~" and fix a couple errant commas, but otherwise it's all there. Feedback is always appreciated. :)

Pandora's Box on Absolute Chaos

Pandora's Box on AO3

Please find updates as follows (links included in titles):

Chapter Twenty-Six ("Altair and Vega") of Pandora's Necklace on Absolute Chaos

Chapter Twenty ("Strengths") of Pandora's Necklace on AO3  (You've been able to read this on AC since April. Chapter Nineteen: Weaknesses also went up last Sunday if you missed it.)

Enjoy! Continue to feel free to ask me anything and get answers! Thank you again to everyone reading! I'll be posting Chapter Twenty-One on AO3 on Sunday, but won't be updating this thread then since you've been able to read it here on AC since May. See you next Wednesday! Feedback is always appreciated as I catch my two cross postings up to each other (or if you're loving what's currently on AC). :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2021, 06:33:42 PM »

Somehow, I thought I could staycation, keep the streak alive, edit this week's chapter, and write an author's chat over this weekend/early this week. An impossible undertaking, clearly. So no author chat, but there are updates! That author chat I was planning makes more sense after getting a chance to read this newest chapter anyway.

If you would still like to read PBox, I will include both location links below. While all fifty chapters of PBox are complete, it is still undergoing the tiniest cursory edit where I change the paragraph alignment of the "~*~" and fix a couple errant commas, but otherwise it's all there. Feedback is always appreciated. :)

Pandora's Box on AO3

Chapter Twenty-Seven ("Glow") of Pandora's Necklace on Absolute Chaos

Chapter Twenty-Two ("Feelings") of Pandora's Necklace on AO3  (You've been able to read this on AC since May. Chapter Twenty-One: Catharsis also went up last Sunday if you missed it.)

Enjoy! Continue to feel free to ask me anything and get answers! Thank you again to everyone reading! I'll be posting Chapter Twenty-Three on AO3 on Sunday, but won't be updating this thread then since you've been able to read it here on AC since May. See you next Wednesday! Feedback is always appreciated as I catch my two cross postings up to each other (or if you're loving what's currently on AC). :) Let me know how my self-challenge went!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2021, 11:30:47 PM »

Wow, it's late! But, it's still Wednesday, phew! Finished editing and updating by the skin of my teeth here.

Pandora's Box on AO3

Chapter Twenty-Eight ("Adapt") of Pandora's Necklace on Absolute Chaos

Chapter Twenty-Four ("Exchange") of Pandora's Necklace on AO3  (You've been able to read this on AC since May. Chapter Twenty-Three: Memories also went up last Sunday if you missed it.)

Enjoy! Continue to feel free to ask me anything and get answers! Thank you again to everyone reading! I saw a little uptick last week, so I hope everyone enjoyed it and welcome any thoughts on how I executed my challenge or any of the other new info that was in there. I'll be posting Chapter Twenty-Five on AO3 on Sunday, but won't be updating this thread then since you've been able to read it here on AC since the beginning of this month (we're finally into the same update month! Can you believe it?!). See you next Wednesday! Feedback is always appreciated as I catch my two cross postings up to each other (or if you're loving what's currently on AC). :) Hope y'all enjoy a little different POV in this week's update. And I promise, we'll finally get back to Author Talks next week. This next one is one I've been planning and meaning to post since I first started discussing mythology.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2021, 12:22:57 AM »

I'm slacking on my Author Talks. Next week is summer break, so I have literally zero excuses! Please forgive my busier than expected summer.

Pandora's Box on AO3

Chapter Twenty-Nine ("Sacrifice") of Pandora's Necklace on Absolute Chaos

Chapter Twenty-Six ("Altair and Vega") of Pandora's Necklace on AO3  (You've been able to read this on AC since the beginning of the month. Chapter Twenty-Five: Cost also went up last Sunday if you missed it.)

Enjoy! Continue to feel free to ask me anything and get answers! Thank you again to everyone reading! See you next Wednesday! Feedback is always appreciated as I catch my two cross postings up to each other (or if you're loving what's currently on AC). :) This chapter is really the continuation for the turning point of the last third of the novel, so hopefully it gives you something to look forward to in these upcoming chapters!

On a side note, I'm skipping AO3's Sunday catch up this week due to the Fourth of July, but you can still read all those chapters here, so you aren't missing out on anything. :)
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2021, 06:43:26 PM »

Happy Wednesday! This post has been a long time coming as it’s difficult to discuss the mythology and lore of a series where the first book is called “Pandora’s Box” without discussing… well… the Pandora’s box myth. I held off on sharing until at least after chapter twenty-seven, since “Glow” is when the ambiguity of where Pandoras get their powers becomes a little more clear and hopefully this week’s chapter sheds a little more light on the subject. (As always, I intend all my puns.)

So there’s some ambiguity in the Pandora legend on just what the jar contained (box is really a mistranslation for "pithos" -- a large jar made of clay and used to store many things from wine to human remains). The name “Pandora” can be interpreted as “all-gifted” or “all-giving” and the story goes that each of the gods bestowed a gift on Pandora (a woman made of clay), including a jar with all the evils of the world, hoping that she would bestow a punishing gift on humans in retribution for Prometheus stealing fire from the gods when she opened it. I’ll be honest with you, in general, ancient Greece was not kind to women, so the implication is that a “deceitful woman” bestowed the evils on man (you'll also notice this "created" aspect which I'm sure you can imagine Christianity ran away with to connect Eve's sin to this myth...). It’s… fun stuff… Everyone agrees that the ills of the world are in the box: plague, death, war, destruction, famine, etcetera, etcetera. And the last thing in the box is hope. The word used to describe hope would actually translate to “expectation,” so it’s more the “expectation of hope.” Here is the ambiguity. Hope is generally seen as a good thing, so why is it in a box with all these evil things? Is it evil because it remains in the box where it can’t be accessed (the absence of hope) or did it linger with the jar to preserve hope as an accessible thing? Or did it originally represent false hope (an evil)? This is unclear and without Hesiod to say for sure, it’s up to interpretation . There is some indication that Pandora’s original purpose (away from this jar myth) was some sort of earth goddess, giving all that is needed to sustain life, a bestower of gifts rather than a receiver of gifts.

So PBox. Following the “good” interpretation of the myth, one of its main themes is “there’s always hope.” Time and time again, our heroes are rewarded for hope. Even way back to the beginning, Nick constantly hopes that Pandora will come to rescue him, and she does. Minako hopes that she can save Renee and she gets to go back to PBox’s world. All our heroes hope that their sacrifices can bring them victory and it does. They all talk about their hope to see the “world of brightness” and death is impermanent (Spoiler? Nah… you had to assume by now that all five Boys are trucking along in PNecklace despite death. I promise there’s a reason). Minako and Nick hope to see each other again and they do. There’s always hope. You’ll see this again as we near the end of PNecklace (only ⅖ left to go after today), of course, because it’s a theme for the whole story. Really the theme is, like the contents of the jar: “Despite all the bad in the world, there’s always hope.” And I’ve discussed it in a couple author’s notes, but PBox’s world is dark. That’s what makes the hope and bright spots so uplifting. And this is only mirrored by the characters. Minako and Nick are both prime examples of this.

Anyway, by opening the box, Pandora’s wishes make her the “all-giving,” but in order to open it, she needs demonic power, thus making her the “all-gifted” as well. In PBox, she gets these by receiving their hearts: the containers for their demonic power. Ever notice that Kevin always touches the heart when he heals? And they make several references that they “just feel the others living” in their hearts and none of them really worry about it. You may be wondering now if demons can really die? That’s a great question and you won’t like the answer, which is… keep reading. ;) You may have also noticed that Minako has always had “the blue light,” even back in the beginning of PBox. Our story is slowly unraveling where this may have originated from. And now you may be wondering how long exactly Minako’s had demonic powers she could use. A mystery for another day as there’s plenty more coming about our titular box  and Pandora.

What do you think? Is hope a blessing despite being in a box of curses or is it just another curse? Has hope rewarded our characters in PBox&Co or has it punished them? As always, see you next Wednesday!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2021, 06:51:25 PM »

Zero excuses! Hope you enjoyed this week's Author Talk.

Pandora's Box on AO3

Chapter Thirty ("Past") of Pandora's Necklace on Absolute Chaos

Chapter Twenty-Seven ("Glow") of Pandora's Necklace on AO3  (You've been able to read this on AC for the past three weeks. Only three more weeks until I'm cross-posting the same chapter at the same time!)

I won't update this thread, but I'll be posting Chapter Twenty-Eight on AO3 on Sunday. Feedback is always appreciated as I catch my two cross postings up to each other (or if you're loving what's currently on AC). :) This is the end of the Nick-heavy chunk of the novel (for the most part at least, since he's still our main character after all).

Enjoy! Continue to feel free to ask me anything and get answers! Thank you again to everyone reading! See you next Wednesday!

Happy 11,000th post to me! ;)
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2021, 08:43:42 PM »

Happy Wednesday! No Author Talk this week as my food delivery arrived during update day and it is time to eat (is this too much information about my personal life? lol). But I did want to give some insight into some of the things I've been working on. As you may have gathered from other posts around the forum, PNecklace is complete, but I am sticking to my update schedule for the moment unless I get crazy ahead on other projects or something.

Otherwise, I am currently working on a short story for the 1000 Ways to Die round robin, PDemons (of course), and a fun little satire novella set around the Into the Millennium tour. So I've got a little of everything going at the moment across size and genre. I hope you enjoy all of them once they're ready to be posted!

If you would still like to read PBox, I will include both location links below. While all fifty chapters of PBox are complete, it is still undergoing the tiniest cursory edit where I change the paragraph alignment of the "~*~" and fix a couple errant commas, but otherwise it's all there. Feedback is always appreciated on my magnum opus. :)

Pandora's Box on AO3

Chapter Thirty-One ("History") of Pandora's Necklace on Absolute Chaos

Chapter Twenty-Nine ("Sacrifice") of Pandora's Necklace on AO3  (You've been able to read this on AC for the past two weeks. Only two more weeks until I'm cross-posting the same chapter at the same time! Chapter Twenty-Eight: Adapt also went up on Sunday if you missed it.)

I won't update this thread, but I'll be posting Chapter Thirty on AO3 on Sunday. Feedback is always appreciated as I catch my two cross postings up to each other (or if you're loving what's currently on AC). :) I hope you like having a different POV character this week.

Enjoy! Continue to feel free to ask me anything and get answers! Thank you again to everyone reading and getting PNecklace over 5000 views! See you next Wednesday!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2021, 09:38:21 PM »

Happy Wednesday! Writing is going slow... That's all.

If you would still like to read PBox, I will include both location links below. While all fifty chapters of PBox are complete, it is still undergoing the tiniest cursory edit where I change the paragraph alignment of the "~*~" and fix a couple errant commas, but otherwise it's all there. Feedback is always appreciated on my magnum opus. :)

Pandora's Box on AO3

Chapter Thirty-Two ("Ripples") of Pandora's Necklace on Absolute Chaos

Chapter Thirty-One ("History") of Pandora's Necklace on AO3  (You've been able to read this on AC since last week. Only a few days until I'm cross-posting the same chapter at the same time! Chapter Thirty: Past also went up on Sunday if you missed it.)

I won't update this thread, but I'll be posting Chapter Thirty-Two on AO3 on Sunday. Feedback is always appreciated as I catch my two cross postings up to each other (or if you're loving what's currently on AC). :) I hope you like having a different POV character this week.

Enjoy! Continue to feel free to ask me anything and get answers! Thank you again to everyone reading and getting PNecklace over 5000 views! See you next Wednesday! I'll do my best to get an Author Talk together for next week.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2021, 07:27:54 PM »

It’s been a minute since I did an Author Talk (I’m running out of things to talk about off hand that aren’t related to spoilers), but I wanted to go back to tropes this week. Recently, PNecklace has spent some time discussing history and prophecies, mostly in regards to what that means for our main heroes. So this week, I wanted to discuss PBox and some prophecy tropes.

Throughout PBox&Co, there’s this vague mention of prophecies in the underlying plot and narrative. When you really think about it, the Pandora Legend is both an in-universe myth and an in-universe prophecy. It’s complicated though, since it’s implied that enough time has passed since the myth was told (or foretold as the case may actually be), that it should be seen as just a story. But since it’s been kept alive as truth, it hasn’t faded into myth as much as it falls into legend territory. And again, the line here is really blurred because it’s a story from the past talking about a thing in the future, so it’s a bit convoluted.

One of the major reasons our main heroes are off on this adventure is “because destiny said so.” Or at least, that’s what they say. Their real reasons are a bit more muddied. Howie, you could argue, is definitely in the “because destiny says so” camp, but a lot of that has more to do with duty to crown, country, and legacy than just devotion to a prophecy. Kevin’s reason is implied to be because he was saved because he possessed those destined powers. Brian’s reason, as you probably gathered recently, stems from filial piety. AJ’s is absolutely “because you were nice to me.” Minako’s reason was “the boy” from the beginning (and it grew to being dependable to the unit over time). And Nick’s has always been what he thinks he can get from following destiny (although these days it probably leans less selfish than at the start of PBox; how selfish “to be with my friends” really is  probably depends on who you ask).

But the major thing about the PBox prophecies is that they fall under “vagueness is coming” and slide to “prophecies are guides, not rules.” I mean, what does “ignite the kingdom” even mean? How does one do that? It’s difficult when the main prophecy of the bunch is clearly something meant for all the main sets of demons, but theoretically one group winning should mean that all others lose. Although technically none of the prophecies say “when x happens, y will win,” that’s just the way it’s all been interpreted over the years. What these prophecies actually mean is more muddled. (See, this is what I said about having a hard time finding things to talk about without spoilers, lol.) And there’s this lingering question of who made the prophecies if they’re not just legends and stories. Anyone have any ideas? You know that I always love taking guesses.

Some other prophecy tropes I’ve played with in the narrative are that Nick leans toward “screw destiny” many times in the story, but mainly when it comes to what he envisions for his future and getting the girl -- which that thread (pun intended) leans into “red string of fate” vibes sometimes. So can Nick really screw destiny if his destiny is all interwoven? (Those are my only two destiny/fabric puns; I swear.) I don’t know if we can really answer this until there’s a good explanation of not just “why Pandoras,” but “why this particular person is a Pandora.” And again, spoilers… But feel free to discuss!

This week was shorter. Definitely let me know if there’s anything you want me to talk about. It may give me more ideas rather than running off on my rambles. Happy Wednesday!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2021, 07:37:44 PM »

Yay, finally another Author Talk! I kept my promise from last week (mostly because this week's chapter only took me an hour or so to edit).

If you would still like to read PBox, I will include both location links below. While all fifty chapters of PBox are complete, it is still undergoing the tiniest cursory edit where I change the paragraph alignment of the "~*~" and fix a couple errant commas, but otherwise it's all there. (I keep promising this errant comma update and not delivering, so this may be my next fanfic adjacent project.) Feedback is always appreciated on my magnum opus. :)

Pandora's Box on Absolute Chaos and Pandora's Box on AO3

Please find updates as follows (links now included after the titles):

This week, I have officially updated the same chapter on all platforms, so you are now free to read wherever makes you happiest and get the same content.

This week's chapter is Chapter Thirty-Three: Plans. You can find it here on AC (Pandora's Necklace on Absolute Chaos) and on AO3 (Pandora's Necklace on AO3).

I didn't update this thread, but I posted Chapter Thirty-Two on AO3 on Sunday, officially catching up the cross-posting. That was a long seven weeks! It's crazy that I started double posting back at Chapter 18 and finally got caught up on Chapter 33.

Enjoy! Continue to feel free to ask me anything and get answers! Feedback of any kind is always appreciated (so much, that I say it twice every single week, lol). See you next Wednesday!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2021, 12:26:22 AM »

Unlike last week, I did not edit fast (and did not have as much available time to edit), so no Author Talk this week. Maybe they'll be every other week or something at this rate, lol.

If you would still like to read PBox, I will include both location links below. While all fifty chapters of PBox are complete, it is still undergoing the tiniest cursory edit where I change the paragraph alignment of the "~*~" and fix a couple errant commas, but otherwise it's all there. (I keep promising this errant comma update and not delivering, so this may be my next fanfic adjacent project.) Feedback is always appreciated on my magnum opus. :)

This week's chapter is Chapter Thirty-Four: Beloved. You can find it here on AC (Pandora's Necklace on Absolute Chaos) and on AO3 (Pandora's Necklace on AO3).

Enjoy! See you next Wednesday!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2021, 10:13:14 PM »

No Author Talk this week; I'm very tired... can barely keep my eyes open on this joyous Wednesday.

This week's chapter is Chapter Thirty-Five: Contract. You can find it here on AC (Pandora's Necklace on Absolute Chaos) and on AO3 (Pandora's Necklace on AO3).

~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2021, 11:35:00 PM »

I made it! Somehow I finished this week's edit despite being sick during editing time. It was a long one, so I'm pretty impressed with myself.

This week's chapter is Chapter Thirty-Six: Tomorrow. You can find it here on AC (Pandora's Necklace on Absolute Chaos) and on AO3 (Pandora's Necklace on AO3).

~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2021, 09:49:27 PM »

So the streak finally ended. Somehow I managed while sick, but had the worst headache Monday and couldn't look at a screen. So here's to the new streak. Hopefully I can keep it going with some 00Carter today! I can't wait for everyone to read the new episode we've been working on!

This week's chapter is Chapter Thirty-Seven: Honesty. You can find it here on AC (Pandora's Necklace on Absolute Chaos) and on AO3 (Pandora's Necklace on AO3).

~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7