Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Season 2 - the kinks  (Read 12093 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Season 2 - the kinks
« on: October 04, 2008, 10:20:58 AM »

A little survey for you all to fill out.

What did you like about last season?

What did you dislike about last season?

What would you change if you were as powerful and successful as someone like Julilly?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
Re: Season 2 - the kinks
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 11:15:57 AM »

There were definitely a few things I liked. I liked how first off you had to nominate other people and couldn't nominate yourself. Then I liked the fact that the nominees were very representative of all of us on AC. I think just about every active member on this forum was at least nominated for something, which was nice. Finally I liked that the runner ups got recognized and got banners too. I wasn't expecting that and it was really nice to win something even though I wasn't the first choice.

My only thing that I can think of at least was that I would've liked to see more of a variety of categories and an even spread to all genres. I know that we were trying to include more original categories, but I just felt that some categories were more directed say like an action/suspense story than a romance for example. I thought judging was fair, but the rubric that was used to evaluate the stories could have been more specific to the particular category it was up for. Obviously you can't evaluate a fantasy story in the same way as an angst one cuz they have very different elements.

What would you change if you were as powerful and successful as someone like Julilly?

I'd keep it basically the same with a few changes. First off I'd like to see some new different categories which we may have to do anyway because a lot of people are still on the same stories they were on last year. Maybe break them down by genre like Romance (Best romance, best kiss, best  breakup, whatever...) Suspense (Best Suspense, Best cliffhanger, Scariest Moment, etc...) I think we also should probably exclude stories that were nominated last year with the exception if they are still ongoing and signifigant progress has been made on them. Same thing with series if they are still being worked on they can be nominated again, but if they are closed they can't. That way it won't be like the SAME stories. I'd also suggest altering the rubric slightly to category when appropriate. That's all I can think of at the moment though.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »

There were definitely a few things I liked. I liked how first off you had to nominate other people and couldn't nominate yourself. Then I liked the fact that the nominees were very representative of all of us on AC. I think just about every active member on this forum was at least nominated for something, which was nice. Finally I liked that the runner ups got recognized and got banners too. I wasn't expecting that and it was really nice to win something even though I wasn't the first choice.

My only thing that I can think of at least was that I would've liked to see more of a variety of categories and an even spread to all genres. I know that we were trying to include more original categories, but I just felt that some categories were more directed say like an action/suspense story than a romance for example. I thought judging was fair, but the rubric that was used to evaluate the stories could have been more specific to the particular category it was up for. Obviously you can't evaluate a fantasy story in the same way as an angst one cuz they have very different elements.

I'd keep it basically the same with a few changes. First off I'd like to see some new different categories which we may have to do anyway because a lot of people are still on the same stories they were on last year. Maybe break them down by genre like Romance (Best romance, best kiss, best  breakup, whatever...) Suspense (Best Suspense, Best cliffhanger, Scariest Moment, etc...) I think we also should probably exclude stories that were nominated last year with the exception if they are still ongoing and signifigant progress has been made on them. Same thing with series if they are still being worked on they can be nominated again, but if they are closed they can't. That way it won't be like the SAME stories. I'd also suggest altering the rubric slightly to category when appropriate. That's all I can think of at the moment though.

Hmm. Interesting points. I think the only things I could add would be that we kept the list of categories short for a reason. The more categories you have, the more repeats of stories and judges you need. By making 12 categories just for romance you're going to end up with a bunch that don't get enough entries to fill them, or the same stories in multiple categories. As it was we had three categories that got canned for having barely any nominees. There was more than one for different genres though, ie best romance, best tear-jerker, best cliffhanger, etc but if you make a bunch of categories for one genre you have to do it for all of them... how would you make as many for AU, or Fantasy, as you would for Romance?

I think too it would be hard to make the rubrics individualized . Especially if you have dozens of categories. Keep in mind it's one person that does all of that, the judges just read and rate. We were evaluating the quality of the writing, the plot, the characters, the settings. I'm not entirely sure how you would get more specific to genre without it potentially getting very biased. You can evaluate a fantasy the same way as you would a romance. They're both fic, it doesn't matter if it's AU or angst, it's the quality of the writing that matters. That would be like saying a police drama and a period drama couldn't both be nominated in the same Oscar category because they're about different things.

I wanted to try and use more fact than opinion. I didn't want to know whether you liked the dialogue in chapter seven, I wanted to know if the dialogue made sense, and flowed, and assisted the plot, which, given that the judges had to apply, they had a fairly solid grasp of english and could determine that.

That being said, how did you imagine the rubric being changed so that it's easy for the judges, as well as easy for the person tallying the votes that is NOT biased?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 12:42:33 PM »

I definitely can see why you would want to keep the judged categories short. I wasn't suggesting that you had to include everything under the sun. I just think some awards categories could be replaced. For instance last year we had most creative storyline, most unusual storyline, and best plot twist. They were almost similair. Like I think we can definitely eliminate some categories. Some of them were a little vague. We did have the best of almost every genre so that was good. I personally would also like to see more character driven awards. I'm not complaining or anything, this is just a suggestion. You can also put more of the genre specific awards to be voted on by the readers of AC.

As for the rubrics I do think that it is important to evaluate it on grammer, plot, characterizati on etc... I would keep that. I would just add one specific line having to deal with that category. For instance if we are judging Best Suspense Story I think the rubric should have just one box for something like. "Did the story keep me on the edge of the seat wanting to know what happens next?" or "Was there enough action going on to make this story exciting?" "Did the author creatively execute a well thought out idea to base this story around?" Or for Best Comedy "Was this story funny?" I mean for most overall categories they can be judged on a plain rubric. I just think for slightly more specific categories the rubric needs at least one box that reflects that.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 03:27:01 PM »

I know you're not complaining, I was hoping to actually have a dialogue about these things.

I get what you mean about the rubric but couldn't you basically cover it by giving detailed descriptions of what a category is, i.e: action/adventure keeps you on the edge of your seat, is exciting, involves cliffhangers, etc etc... then have a generic rubric that says "does the story encompass the typical characteristic s?". The idea of everyone's grading sheets being different is kind of daunting. I think it would be easier to make kind of a cheat sheet of what they're looking for in a particular genre.

One of the things on the rubric is "ideas are creative... unique... organised" which I think is kind of the same as saying "they executed the idea well"

I'm not entirely sure character driven awards would work. Since this is open to all fandoms we have to avoid specifying one.

We did have things like best hero, villain, couple, out-of-character, etc
~Maple Jellybean~

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 07:06:53 PM »

Good! I mean the awards were a very positive experience last year and I thought they went well. I at least was pleased, but I am just trying to come up with some things that could use smoothing over maybe. I think a cheat sheet would be a nice compromise. Something that the judge can look for and kind of check off if the story has those elements.

I think character driven awards can work. Every story has characters right? We had Best Villian and Best Couple and all that. Maybe like Best Male Character/Best Female character?

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 09:58:54 PM »

I have to say I kinda like the more character driven ones. Maybe not fandom specific...

But say

Best Male
Best Female
Best Supporting Character
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 05:47:39 AM »

I think character driven awards can work. Every story has characters right? We had Best Villian and Best Couple and all that. Maybe like Best Male Character/Best Female character?

Ah yes I see what you mean, I agree. I thought you meant like having fandom specific awards, like best howie, best group, etc
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 07:42:04 AM »

I am not a big fan of best female, best male, best supporting character. I think those are kind of cliche and I also think they are more work for people judging unless they are some of the unjudged categories.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 07:45:45 AM »

I would probably only include them in the member voted categories... that's where the character driven ones were last time
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 08:09:15 AM »

I do think a great extra category should be judges choice and each one should pick a story they loved and give an award because of it Or Critics pick. That Eastwater convergence award site used to do that and I thought that was a great idea because it gave the judges a chance to explain why they picked what they did.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »

That could become a popularity contest though too... after all, if I picked you people would say I picked you because we share a brain and not because I thought you were worthy.
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 09:47:38 AM »

We should have a Mods choice award given at random to any story we deem worthy.

Also, maybe we can use a category and say the winner of that one would be the next featured story?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 09:50:06 AM by mare »

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 09:55:04 AM »

I like the featured story one, and mods choice ... would there be a mods choice for each category or just a set number because as judges that could be wonky?
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 10:19:45 AM »

I think just one overall because that would be a lot of reading if we did each category. I don't think it even necessarily needs to be a nominated story.
Pages: [1] 2 3