Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Season 2 - the kinks  (Read 12101 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Season 2 - the kinks
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 11:03:42 AM »

Ooh yes I like that
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 01:05:52 PM »

Ah yes I see what you mean, I agree. I thought you meant like having fandom specific awards, like best howie, best group, etc

Oh no... Definitely not because I mean look at the ratio of Nick stories we have to Howie stories... Not exactly fair, but I like the character awards.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 01:48:48 PM »

I like Mel's point about not including stories that were nominated last year, or at least last year's winners, unless the story was not finished then and is finished or further along now (a.k.a. not exactly the same thing it was last year).

One thing I got tired of back in the day of all the awards sites was seeing the same stories nominated in the same categories year after year.  It just got so old and stale.  I think it would help to keep the awards fresh and also spotlight some newer authors or newer stories if we only allowed stories that weren't nominated or didn't win as finished stories last year.  Those stories had their moment of glory... time to let other stories try for it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 01:58:02 PM »

What did you like about last season?
I liked that you couldn't nominate yourself.  I liked that the categories were a little more creative than the average old-school fanfic awards.  I liked that there was both judging and voting to determine winners.  I liked that the judges had a rubric to follow to keep it as objective as possible.  I liked that we actually followed through with the awards from start to finish and announced winners!

What did you dislike about last season?
There were some people who were nominated more than 10 times for various awards.  I know there was a rule that a story could only be nominated 3 times, which I thought was fair, but maybe there should also be a cap on how many times a single author can be nominated for various stories?  That would give more authors a shot at an award, and authors who have a lot of stories could always be nominated for different stories at the next awards.  I also didn't like how some stories or authors were nominated twice in the same category.  I don't think that's fair because for a voting category, it might split the votes and give that author less of a chance of winning, and for a judging category, it might give them a better chance because, hey, they have two out of the five stories in the running.  I think an author should only be allowed one nomination per category.

What would you change if you were as powerful and successful as someone like Julilly?
See above.  Also see my previous post regarding last year's winners or nominees being retired from the competition.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »

I also think maybe judges shouldn't be eligible to compete for awards.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 02:05:08 PM »

basically Julie just said everything I was going to write. Thanks for saving me the trouble Julie!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 02:06:31 PM »

I also think maybe judges shouldn't be eligible to compete for awards.

You might deter some people from judging that way LOL.  It's always fun to be nominated, especially when you can't nominate yourself and know it's coming from an actual reader.

I think as long as you're not judging a category you're nominated in (obviously), it works out okay.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »

basically Julie just said everything I was going to write. Thanks for saving me the trouble Julie!

LOL no prob!
~Julie

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »

You might deter some people from judging that way LOL.  It's always fun to be nominated, especially when you can't nominate yourself and know it's coming from an actual reader.

I think as long as you're not judging a category you're nominated in (obviously), it works out okay.

Yea I agree with Julie. I mean I wasn't a judge last year, but it seemed like you were able to split up the categories pretty fairly among the judges. No one judged a category they were nominated for. I think if you say that judges can't be nominated no one would want to judge.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 03:05:43 PM »

What did you like about last season?
Basically the same as everyone else has said. I thought it was pretty fair, for the most part. And everyone actually followed through with their stuff and we did announce winners and such.

What did you dislike about last season?
Probably that the same authors were nominated over and over again... It's not a personal vendetta or anything, but there are lots of authors on AC, and I feel like ninety percent of the nominees were like board regulars or something, you know?

What would you change if you were as powerful and successful as someone like Julilly?
I think it would help to cap the number of times an author can be nominated, that way people only pick the best of their best, you know? Also it would be nice if we went through with the idea that people who won last year couldn't be nominated for the same category with the same story... Maybe even runner-ups too?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »

Yea I agree with Julie. I mean I wasn't a judge last year, but it seemed like you were able to split up the categories pretty fairly among the judges. No one judged a category they were nominated for. I think if you say that judges can't be nominated no one would want to judge.

Oh, I'm sure some people would still judge... and take advantage of the opportunity to say, "Look how much I don't care about winning an award!  I'm going to sacrifice the opportunity to be nominated just so I can dedicate hours of my time to reading other people's stories!"

Please.  Everyone enjoys getting a nomination, whether you really care about winning or not.  It's an honor.  It says that someone deems your story worthy, and that is always a nice feeling.  No one here would be posting their stories on AC if they didn't enjoy the recognition.  I don't see the need to encourage "martyrs" by disqualifying judges from being nominated at all.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »

Alright, it was just a thought lol If everyone is okay with it then I am too. I just don't want to give anyone a reason to cry foul because you know they will, if not here then somewhere else.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 05:36:24 PM »

Oh, of course LOL.  But they would have no reason for it.  Judging one category and being judged in another have nothing to do with each other.  If someone's going to be biased on their judging, they'd be biased whether their friend was another judge or not.  But hopefully the rubric cuts down on that as much as possible.

As far as the rubric goes, maybe this year there could be a place where you have to add just one line that explains why you gave the score you did for each category... either that or a place at the end for a general comment about the story.  For example, if you give a story a 3 out of 5 for grammar, you could write something like, "The story was readable, but there were a lot of incorrectly-punctuated run-on sentences that really took away from the flow, along with other typos and errors."  Then if the author requested to see the score sheet later on and was like, "What!?  My grammar is impeccable!  Why did I only get a 3?" they would know.  As someone who judged last year, I don't think it would be asking too much of the judges... it would basically just be putting into words what should already be going through your head anyway.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 05:51:23 PM »

^I wrote a little note like that for every story that I judged. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 05:51:44 PM »

^ I agree. I think judges comments are important.
Pages: 1 [2] 3