Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So here we are  (Read 3066 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
So here we are
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:57:46 PM »

I guess this thread would be a good place to recommend some books for us to read. When you are ready to, you should post a poll Kelly with a few books you have in mind.

Maybe we could also talk about books in general in here. Things we're excited about reading or books as movies etc..

Anyway feel free to post away! :)

We'll also use this thread as a place to post who will be hosting what month :) Because i'm anal and into making lists for things! lol

November - Honey

December/ January (If we need 2 months) - Sinara

January or February (Depending on what happens in December) - Sweet18_2003

Anyone else?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:18:23 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: So here we are
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:54:34 PM »

Dark Tower Series by Stephen King.

It's long, 7 thick books long actually. But, if you've ever read any of his other books, these books find a way to encompass the worlds he created before in this one series. (Salem's Lot for example) and it's about the destiny of the last gunslinger. But it's Action/Adventure, it's Supernatural, it's just, a really good series.

I'm so not doing it justice lol.

Right now I'm reading Lisey's Story, by Stephen King. That one is good too.

But if I had to recommend something, that series would be it.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:56:19 PM »

This is kind of exciting! :D

~Lenni~

P.S. I'd recommend Flowers In The Attic by V.C. Andrews. :) The whole series is fantastic & twisted! And the movie they made for it, just does NOT do is justice! Simply because in the movie, things that don't ever happen in the series, happens! which totally ticked me off!
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 05:11:19 AM »

This is kind of exciting! :D

~Lenni~

P.S. I'd recommend Flowers In The Attic by V.C. Andrews. :) The whole series is fantastic & twisted! And the movie they made for it, just does NOT do is justice! Simply because in the movie, things that don't ever happen in the series, happens! which totally ticked me off!

Ooh yes Flowers is a good one! I've read it like twice, but its been a few years since the last time I read it. It's kind of weird and twisted, but in a way you can actually understand why things happen the way they do under the circumstances. It's one of the better VC Andrews books before they became all Mary Sue and cliche and Lenni you are right, the movie is SOOOO awful in comparision to the book. It's pretty thick though. I think 450-500 pages but I breezed through it in like two days the first read because I could not put it down.

I also love the Ruby series by VC Andrews even though it was actually written by the ghostwriter. It's a lil more cliche and I guess Ruby could be considered a lil Mary Sue, but I just adore the story even if it is far fetched. It takes place in New Orleans which I love! So, that's another suggestion.

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:58:46 AM »

Hi! I recommend "How to talk to a widower" by Jonathan Tropper..

Summary: When Doug Parker married Hailey - beautiful, smart and ten years older - he left his carefree Manhattan life behind to live with her and her teenage son, Russ, in the suburbs. Three years later, Hailey has been dead for a year, and Doug, a widower at 29, just wants to drown himself in self-pity and Jack Daniels. But his family has other ideas...Russ is furious with Doug for not adopting him after Hailey died, and has fallen in with a bad crowd. Claire, Doug's irrepressible and pregnant twin sister, has just left her husband and moved in, uninvited, determined to turn his life around. Then there's Debbie, their younger sister, engaged to Doug's ex-best friend and maniacally determined to pull of the perfect wedding at any cost. Soon, Doug finds himself trying to forge a relationship with Russ, reconnecting with his own eccentric nuclear family, and reluctantly dipping his toes into the shark-infested waters of the second-time-around dating scene. It isn't long before his new life is spinning hopelessly out of control...

I loved this book.. and maybe some of you have read it too.. :D
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

DaniGiggles

• Captain of Commotion
  • I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:46:17 AM »

Dark Tower Series by Stephen King.

It's long, 7 thick books long actually. But, if you've ever read any of his other books, these books find a way to encompass the worlds he created before in this one series. (Salem's Lot for example) and it's about the destiny of the last gunslinger. But it's Action/Adventure, it's Supernatural, it's just, a really good series.

I'm so not doing it justice lol.

Right now I'm reading Lisey's Story, by Stephen King. That one is good too.

But if I had to recommend something, that series would be it.

OMG Rose, I think I've fallen in love with you. I'm so happy someone else has read the Dark Tower Series, cause before now, I've been the ONLY one! They're soooooo good! Stephen King is my favorite author, I've read nearly every book he has out, and the Dark Tower series is my all time favorite. They're amazing! The last book blew my mind... yay!
Becca: I *so* flirt with you in math.
Evan: Tell me about it. I - same-sies.
~Superbad

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 11:50:54 AM »

I LOVED the Dsrk Tower Series!! I was so sad when it ended and how it ended but it's SK, I wouldn't have expected anything less from him lol

I have read some of those Flowers in the Attic VC Andrews books. I'm sure you can guess i'm not a fan, but if you like soap operas you'd love those.

I of course have to mention Wally Lamb because I LOVE him! I want to be him.

I Know This Much is True and She's Come Undone two phenomenal books.

Also Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes and My Sister's Keeper.

The Secret Life of Bees and The Lovely Bones are two more that I loved.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 11:51:59 AM »

I have never heard of that one Nijntje but it sounds interesting.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 11:57:16 AM »

I'm going to recommend Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom.  I'll give you the summary I got off Wikipedia:

In the best-selling memoir of all time, Mitch Albom recounts his time spent with an old professor, Morrie Schwartz, as he was dying from ALS, more commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. The memoir, based entirely on recorded conversations between Albom and Morrie about life’s most important lessons, was initially proposed for the sole purpose of paying Morrie’s medical bills. Four years later, it had spent 205 consecutive weeks on the New York Times Bestseller List.

Really good book.  I'm looking forward to this whole book club thing :)

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 12:01:24 PM »

Hrmm let's see, i'm trying to think of some more of my favorites lol

I enjoyed The Witches Chronicles by Anne Rice. It's been a looong time since I read those books.

Anything Dan Brown - Deception Point, Angels and Demons, The Davinci Code

Anne Tyler is a great writer as well. I loved her Back When We Were Grownups.

The Poisonwood Bible I think by Barbara Kingsolver.

I am so bad with authors names but i'll remember the name of the book.

Anita Shrieve is a great writer too. The Pilot's Wife was a great story and Sea Glass.

I am also a huge SK fan so if we were to talk about just a book by him and not a series. Eyes of the Dragon, The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, The Tommyknockers, Needful Things, The Stand. Those are some of my favorites by him.

Intensity by Dean Koontz was awesome as well for Suspense.

Before Women Had Wings was a great book but I don't remember who wrote it. lol

I know, i'm so helpful lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »

I'm going to recommend Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom.  I'll give you the summary I got off Wikipedia:

Really good book.  I'm looking forward to this whole book club thing :)

I loved the The Five People You Meet in Heaven by him. I never read Tuesdays with Morrie though. I have always wanted to.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »

^I just read the summary for that one Wikipedia and it sounds really good!   I might have to pick it up on my next payday :)
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 02:25:31 PM »

Ooh yea The Lovely Bones was another good one. I have that laying around here somewhere too. The Secret Life of Bees looks good too.

Honestly I am having a hard time thinking of books. I used to read a TON, but like Julie I read a lot of YA books and then during college between majoring in Education and minoring in English, I was only reading children's books or classics, so in my spare time I just wanted to read fluff lol. I haven't read a really good book in a LOOOOONG time.

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Unbreakable bonds form in innocence of childhood.
    • Set It Off
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 03:41:45 PM »

The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield is one of my favorites.

Also, if you're a fan of supernatural books, Rob Thurman is a good author to read.

Of course, back in the day, I used to love horse books. All kinds of horse books. My favorite authors were Marguerite Henry, known for Misty of Chincoteague, and Walter Farley, known for The Black Stallion.
- Katie -

Live passionately.. . and hold fast to your dreams. Live life with no regrets.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »

I'm a huge Anne Rice fan. Have been since I was a kid. Interview with The Vampire is one of my personal favorites. I read lots of classics though I'm a HUGE Jane Austen nut love all of her works and have quite an obession with Shakespeare. My favorite play of his is Macbeth and Titus Andronicus.

I love Stephen King as well, his older stuff like The Shining and Carrie were amazing (and better than the movies in my opinion).

I used to read VC Andrews loved her writing for a long time, but Flowers In The Attic got to me lol.

There is one book that I really love that I can pick up anytime and re-read and that's Summer Sisters by Judy Blume it's quite a bit more mature than her other stuff but it's a really awesome coming of age story.
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"
Pages: [1] 2 3