Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Lovely Bones discussion thread  (Read 4842 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The Lovely Bones discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »

Has everyone starting reading yet? Any thoughts? Feel free to post your thoughts as you read. That's why we're here folks lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 08:08:41 PM »

I'm way beyond Chapter 5 by now.  I'm liking it so far.  I think the two most interesting characters are Ruth and Mr. Harvey.  And I still can't get over the fact that Susie's little brother's name sounds like it should be a dog's name instead.  Here Buckley... fetch, boy!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 08:44:06 PM »

LMAO I know! That's what I thought about Buckley too! I feel sorry for Buckley throughout the story.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 09:21:08 PM »

LMAO I'm glad I'm not alone!  It bugged me from the moment they introduced him.  I was like, okay... Susie/Suzanne... Lindsay... both normal, seventies sort of names.  And then there's... Buckley.  Someone dropped the ball there!
~Julie

sweet18_2003

• Captain of Commotion
    • My Space
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »

Haha...I thought the same thing about Buckley. I was thinking...dam n, that kid will have issues when he is older.

I find Ruth very interesting also. Her character is so mysterious.

I also like Lindsay. she seems insecure in some way...but I can't quite pinpoint it.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 04:35:49 PM »

hey everyone. I owe you all such a big fat I'm so sorry!!!!  Yes, I'm still alive. (Barely, it feels like) I just wanted to pop in really quick and promise you that I really, really wasn't slacking. I've been very sick, but am getting better (as better can be anyway) and I have slowly but surely been reading along. I'm on chapter 11 I think? Anyway, I'll catch up with this thread and jump into the discussion next week. I know, I suck, but I promise I'm trying. Don't hate me. I sucked as Oprah this month I guess, but I'll join in here as soon as I get home (I'm going out of town for the weekend) and I'll make up for it another month if you need me to.

Sorry again, ladies! So sorry!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 05:57:28 PM »

Welcome back! I'm glad you're starting to feel better. I've been sucking as Oprah too so don't feel bad lol

Speaking of which, who was it that was going to take next month? Darby was that you? If so, you might want to post a poll with different stories for next month since we've hit the halfway point of November already. Jeez time...slow down!

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Unbreakable bonds form in innocence of childhood.
    • Set It Off
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 08:18:45 PM »

I think it was me that was hosting next month, or rather, two months, since it's the holiday months and we extended it. And, like Kelly, I have totally been slacking. I got sick too, missed over a week of school and work... and then had to catch up... not to mention taking people's shifts when they get fired. Terrible, I know, but I will get a poll up by Friday, for sure. =)

Oh yeah, and I am completely enamored with this book already. It is so compelling and really makes you think about your beliefs and thoughts of the after-life and heaven. I have to agree with you guys that I love the idea of having different heavens. I've always wondered how everyone's heaven could be the same when everyone's souls are different, so the author's view really makes sense. I'll write more about it when I get further in the book.
- Katie -

Live passionately.. . and hold fast to your dreams. Live life with no regrets.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 08:25:12 PM »

I'm not going to say we should be on this chapter or that chapter by now so keep reading everyone and post as you go. :)

Here is your question, as of now who can you identify with most in the book and why?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 06:25:37 PM »

I haven't had much time to read this book this week. I'm hoping that with the Thanksgiving break coming up i'll be able to sit and catch up because I do remember a lot of it but not enough to discuss. I am so bad with character names lol

How about everyone else? I would hate for the first book club experience to be a dud, so I hope anyone who is reading will pop in and say something.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 06:50:26 PM »

I've kinda slacked off on reading too; last week was really busy, between parent/teacher conferences and New York, and I've also been rereading Twilight LOL.
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 01:28:01 PM »

I am sorry, but I don't think I'm going to finish it. I know I picked it, and I can totally understand why it was a best seller and all, it's just really not my kind of story and I haven't enjoyed it at all. The first couple of chapters had me but after that it was like pulling teeth trying to finish chapter after chapter, so I'm giving up. It's written really well and I can understand why people like it, it's just not my taste. *sigh*
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 01:01:05 AM »

So who finished this book this month? Am I the only one who didn't like it? I got to about chapter 12, so I really made an effort, it just made me so sad, and I can't even imagine what it would be like to be in their shoes. I have nightmares about losing a child all the time. Sometimes I wake up crying even. But to read about that and then to read about how the family falls apart because of it, it's just too depressing for me. I need either mystery or happy.

I think my favorite character in the story (of what I read anyway) was her little sister. Man I really felt for her and I can't believe how I could have handled things had I been in her shoes. She seemed tough, but vulnerable. I liked that. I was kind of waiting for her to finally "break" but I didn't get that far.

Tell me one thing though... PM me if you have to...   Do they ever catch the creep?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 07:37:36 AM »

I read this book a long time ago and it was distrubing but I thought it was very good. I wish I cuold remember all the details but i'm so bad with stuff like that and even though it was a good book it's only the great ones that usually stand out in my mind.

I agree, I enjoyed the sister as well. I remember the mother annoying me in this one but I didn't mind the dad so much.

I do believe they catch the creep. I think Dad figures out it's him? I don't remember for sure.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »

I haven't finished yet - oops.  I haven't actually picked up the book in about two weeks.  I got busy with traveling and holidays and have been rereading Twilight instead.  But I'm sure I will finish this book at some point.
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4