Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Poll

Which book would you be most interested in reading during the holiday months?

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown
- 1 (25%)
Cross by James Patterson
- 0 (0%)
Left Behind by Tim LaHaye
- 0 (0%)
The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck
- 0 (0%)
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
- 1 (25%)
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- 2 (50%)
Nightlife by Rob Thurman
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: December/January Book Poll  (Read 1205 times)

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Unbreakable bonds form in innocence of childhood.
    • Set It Off
December/January Book Poll
« on: November 25, 2008, 05:27:31 PM »

I tried to pick a bit of a variety for the next books, so that we have more options, since the next book is supposed to be held over for two months, instead of just one. I'm going to close the poll on December 1, and then I think everyone can have the book by December 7 so we can start reading. Does that sound good?

Angels & Demons - Dan Brown
An ancient secret brotherhood.

A devastating new weapon of destruction.

An unthinkable target.

When world-renowned Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned to a Swiss research facility to analyze a mysterious symbol -- seared into the chest of a murdered physicist -- he discovers evidence of the unimaginable: the resurgence of an ancient secret brotherhood known as the Illuminati...t he most powerful underground organization ever to walk the earth. The Illuminati has now surfaced to carry out the final phase of its legendary vendetta against its most hated enemy -- the Catholic Church.

Langdon's worst fears are confirmed on the eve of the Vatican's holy conclave, when a messenger of the Illuminati announces they have hidden an unstoppable time bomb at the very heart of Vatican City. With the countdown under way, Langdon jets to Rome to join forces with Vittoria Vetra, a beautiful and mysterious Italian scientist, to assist the Vatican in a desperate bid for survival.

Embarking on a frantic hunt through sealed crypts, dangerous catacombs, deserted cathedrals, and even the most secretive vault on earth, Langdon and Vetra follow a 400-year-old trail of ancient symbols that snakes across Rome toward the long-forgotten Illuminati lair...a clandestine location that contains the only hope for Vatican salvation.
An explosive international thriller, Angels & Demons careens from enlightening epiphanies to dark truths as the battle between science and religion turns to war.

Cross - James Patterson
Forensic psychologist Alex Cross's storied career in private practice, with the FBI and as a Washington, D.C., cop has brought him into contact with all kinds of seriously disturbed killers, but his 12th outing from bestseller Patterson (after 2005's Mary, Mary) may be the ultimate in lunatic deadliness. Beginning with a flashback to the murder of Cross's wife, Maria, Patterson quickly introduces Michael Sullivan (aka the Butcher of Sligo). What follows is a frenetically paced series of brutal rapes and killings by Sullivan, once employed by the mob as a freelancer and now at war with them. Cross juggles being a single parent and being involved in the dangerous game of tracking serial killers until he finally decides to give it up for his family. Needless to say, he's drawn back into the game when it promises a chance of finding Maria's killer. Cross's competence and vulnerability make a stark contrast with Sullivan's sadistic mutilations and psychological manipulations of his victims. Fans know that Cross will survive, but at what cost?

Left Behind - Tim LaHaye
When the trumpet sounds, where will you be? Passengers in an airborne Boeing 747 find out in this riveting novel by renowned Christian speaker Tim LaHaye and master storyteller Jerry Jenkins. Without any warning, passengers mysteriously disappear from their seats. Terror and chaos slowly spread not only through the plane but also worldwide as unusual events continue to unfold. For those who have been left behind, the apocalypse has just begun. This fictional account of life after the Rapture delivers an urgent call to today's readers to prepare their own hearts and minister to others.

The Christmas Sweater - Glenn Beck

We weren't wealthy, we weren't poor -- we just were. We never wanted for anything, except maybe more time together....

When Eddie was twelve years old, all he wanted for Christmas was a bike. Although his life had gotten harder -- and money tighter -- since his father died and the family bakery closed...Eddie dreamed that somehow his mother would find a way to have his dream bike gleaming beside their modest Christmas tree that magical morning.

What he got from her instead was a sweater. "A stupid, handmade, ugly sweater" that young Eddie left in a crumpled ball in the corner of his room.

Scarred deeply by the realization that kids don't always get what they want, and too young to understand that he already owned life's most valuable treasures, that Christmas morning was the beginning of Eddie's dark and painful journey on the road to manhood. It will take wrestling with himself, his faith, and his family -- and the guidance of a mysterious neighbor named Russell -- to help Eddie find his path through the storm clouds of life and finally see the real significance of that simple gift his mother had crafted by hand with love in her heart.

The Lucky One - Nicholas Sparks
Is there really such thing as a lucky charm? The hero of Nicholas Sparks's new novel believes he's found one in the form of a photograph of a smiling woman he's never met, but who he comes to believe holds the key to his destiny. The chain of events that leads to him possessing the photograph and finding the woman pictured in it is the stuff of love stories only a master such as Sparks can write.

American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Shadow dreamed of nothing but leaving prison and starting a new life. But the day before his release, his wife and best friend are killed in an accident. On the plane home to the funeral, he meets Mr. Wednesday—a beguiling stranger who seems to know everything about him. A trickster and rogue, Mr. Wednesday offers Shadow a job as his bodyguard. With nowhere left to go, Shadow accepts, and soon learns that his role in Mr. Wednesday's schemes will be far more dangerous and dark than he could have ever imagined. For beneath the placid surface of everyday life a war is being fought—and the prize is the very soul of America.

Nightlife - Rob Thurman
Caliban "Cal" Leandros has got serious issues. His mother is a down-and-out con artist whose fortune-telling scam has long ago lost its shine. Living in a run-down trailer, she cares more about where she's going to get her next bottle of rotgut and pack of smokes than she does about the well-being of her two sons. Cal's deadbeat dad is, well, a monster. With only his butt-kicking big brother, Niko -- a "blond Bruce Lee" -- to watch over him, Cal has been on the run from the nightmarish Grendels for four years. But what would bloodthirsty monstrosities -- whose primal passions are violence, destruction, and mayhem -- want with a half-breed human? When Cal eventually finds out the reason for the Grendels' interest in him, he is forced to make some very difficult decisions -- decisions that could forever alter humankind…
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 05:29:36 PM by Sinara »
- Katie -

Live passionately.. . and hold fast to your dreams. Live life with no regrets.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: December/January Book Poll
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:40:15 PM »

Wow, that is quite an interesting mix of stories. It's going to be hard to choose since they all seem so different. The only one i've already read was Angels and Demons. I'm reading A Dan Brown book right now and not enjoying it much (Digital Fortress, I don't recommend it at all. Not the same caliber as The Davinci Code or Angels and Demons)

I don't really want to touch Sparks with a Ten Foot Pole lol

The Left Behind series has always intrigued me but not enough to want to read them. I blame Kirk Cameron lol

I think if I had to narrow my choices i'm teetering between the James Patterson, The Neil Gaiman because i've heard good things about him. I think i've read something by him and enjoyed it, and the Christmas Sweater one. I must think on it some more.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Set It Off
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:19:17 PM »

Wow, that is quite an interesting mix of stories. It's going to be hard to choose since they all seem so different. The only one i've already read was Angels and Demons. I'm reading A Dan Brown book right now and not enjoying it much (Digital Fortress, I don't recommend it at all. Not the same caliber as The Davinci Code or Angels and Demons)

I don't really want to touch Sparks with a Ten Foot Pole lol

The Left Behind series has always intrigued me but not enough to want to read them. I blame Kirk Cameron lol

I think if I had to narrow my choices i'm teetering between the James Patterson, The Neil Gaiman because i've heard good things about him. I think i've read something by him and enjoyed it, and the Christmas Sweater one. I must think on it some more.

I figured getting a wide mix of stories was probably the best course of action, especially for the holidays. This way, we can pick a book that will help keep us de-stressed for the family-time that comes with the holiday season. Plus, most of the stories are either family-centered or have some sort of religious back-story.

Nicholas Sparks is one of my favorite authors, but I had a feeling he wouldn't quite be in your list of must-reads, which is why I offered a wider variety of mystery, adventure type stories instead of romance, lol.

The Left Behind series (book-wise) is much better than the movies. The books go into a lot more detail and are more captivating than the films. (Which is almost always true of books-turned-movies).

Neil Gaiman is an amazing author, in my opinion. I fell in love with his Sandman Comics, and have been a fan ever since. I have been wanting to read American Gods for some time, so I thought I would put that in as as choice. James Petterson, I have heard from a lot of people, is a great thriller writer. If you've seen either "Kiss the Girls" or "Along Came A Spider" (the movies), they are both based off of his books. As for The Christmas Sweater, I have heard rave reviews about this book, recently. A lot of my regular customers have recommended it to me, so I thought I would add it as well.
- Katie -

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:15:50 PM »

OMG, American Gods is AWESOME. Neil Gaiman is super talented and super mysterious-seeming in person as well.  I tried stalking him once when he came to visit his daughter who used to go to my college, but then I figured that was too weird. But yes, he's got this amazing way with words and makes you think about your life and American culture in such different ways. American Gods really makes you think about why we have the beliefs we do in America. SO GOOD. Also, try Good Omens, which he wrote with Terry Pratchett. They'll have you laughing and screaming at the same time.

So, yes. My vote goes to American Gods because you can never read that book too many times :)
Sarah

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 09:05:12 PM »

OMG, American Gods is AWESOME. Neil Gaiman is super talented and super mysterious-seeming in person as well.  I tried stalking him once when he came to visit his daughter who used to go to my college, but then I figured that was too weird. But yes, he's got this amazing way with words and makes you think about your life and American culture in such different ways. American Gods really makes you think about why we have the beliefs we do in America. SO GOOD. Also, try Good Omens, which he wrote with Terry Pratchett. They'll have you laughing and screaming at the same time.

So, yes. My vote goes to American Gods because you can never read that book too many times :)

I completely endorse this message. American Gods is amazing.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 09:10:12 PM »

I don't have a strong preference; they all sound interesting.  I haven't read any of these, but I do like Nicholas Sparks (is this his new one?), and I loved The DaVinci Code, so I would be interested in reading Angels and Demons too.  I've never read Left Behind, but it sounds interesting.  I'll give whatever we decide a try.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »

Hrmm...okay you guys are making me lean more towards Amaerican Gods now lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 11:03:01 PM »

Yay! Plus, it has a sequel or is it a prequel? Can't remember. Anyway, it's called Anansi Boys.  So even if American Gods isn't chosen, everyone should still check out the two books :)
Sarah

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Set It Off
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 07:56:34 AM »

Yay! Plus, it has a sequel or is it a prequel? Can't remember. Anyway, it's called Anansi Boys.  So even if American Gods isn't chosen, everyone should still check out the two books :)
Actually, Anansi Boys isn't really the sequel/prequel to either American Gods or Stardust. It takes place in the same world/dimension as those two books, but it is its own story. I have actually read a little bit of this book, but I never got the chance to finish it. =/
- Katie -

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 12:54:13 AM »

I voted Angels and Demons, but I'd totally like to read the Patterson one or American Gods too.  And I promise I'll be more vocal this month. Sorry again for flaking.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Set It Off
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 06:20:45 PM »

Okay. So you guys voted, and the winner was American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Go out and pick up your copies of the book. I figure, if we start reading next week, we should be able to get through the book before the end of January (even with all the family obligations around the holidays). I will start the discussion thread on Monday, December 8, and by Friday, December 12, let's try to have the first 3 chapters read and ready to be discussed. Sound good? Otay!
- Katie -

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »

sounds good to me. lol I hope I can get to the store to get it before then.