Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: American Gods discussion thread  (Read 2178 times)

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Unbreakable bonds form in innocence of childhood.
    • Set It Off
American Gods discussion thread
« on: December 08, 2008, 04:51:48 PM »

As promised, here is the American Gods official discussion thread.

Has everyone gotten their books yet? I hope so. Let the reading begin!

Don't forget, we're trying to have up to chapter 3 read by Friday. I will be in Alabama this weekend visiting family, but I will hopefully be able to get online for a little bit each day to join in the discussion.

So open those books, turn off that television, and get lost in another world!
- Katie -

Live passionately.. . and hold fast to your dreams. Live life with no regrets.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: American Gods discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 05:27:23 PM »

I haven't had time to go to the bookstore yet and probably won't until the weekend but i'm a fast reader so i'll be able to catch up as long as I can get the actual book. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 01:16:16 PM »

must get back to the library. But I'm good. I'll manage to catch up too.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Unbreakable bonds form in innocence of childhood.
    • Set It Off
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 11:31:31 AM »

Hey guys, I'm still in Alabama, and I don't really have very much time at all to be on the Internet. I figure most people haven't had a chance to read the first three chapters yet, so how about we start the discussion after I get back from Alabama on Sunday afternoon? That will give everyone a little more time to get their books and read. =) I hope those of you who HAVE read it already are enjoying it. Compelling, isn't it? I love how Neil Gaiman can just kind of suck you into a story before you even know what's happening. Anyway, Sunday we'll start talking about the book.
- Katie -

Live passionately.. . and hold fast to your dreams. Live life with no regrets.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »

I got my book yesterday, finally, so I'll start it tonight!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 10:09:56 PM »

I still haven't had time to go to a book store. Sorry, this week is going to be hellish (Concert week) but when I do have time to pick it up i'll get in on the conversation.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 05:48:19 AM »

Heey, I've already read this book! I could totally participate... could, being the operative word :)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 08:26:19 PM »

Hey! So what chapter are we supposed to be up to now? And when are we gong to start discussing? Is anyone else reading this one? I'm on chapter 4 right now. Off to a really intriguing start.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »

I still haven't gotten the book. I haven't even finished my Christmas shopping yet because of this horrid weather. I'm going out tomorrow for the first time since Thursday and hopefully it'll be at one of the stores i'm going to. If not, it might have to wait until after Christmas.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 01:09:30 PM »

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say that this is such a strange book! I have no clue what's going on and as frustrating as that is, I like that he's keeping us in the dark about stuff. It's a very intriguing book and so far I'm really enjoying it. It's kind of funny though, you can totally see all the differences in writing style between men and women. Anyone else ever notice that? The way they describe things, the actual dialog. The way the characters think. It's really funny to compare men's writing to women's writing. The majority of the stuff I read is all written by women, so it's really kind of fun and refreshing to read stuff written by a man every now and then It's just a different perspective. (I'm talking about the actual writer, not the main character, though those tend to usually be the same.)

Anyway, I love the simplistic writing with the totally complex plot. Mr. Wednesday fascinates me and I think he and Shadow compliment each other very well. I'm just not that far into the book yet, (100 pages or so is all) but I am enjoying it so far. Lol I'm going to have to read the whole thing just to figure out what the eff is going on.

Is anyone else reading along? Anyone else have any thoughts?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 02:12:14 PM »

I haven't gotten the book yet. I'm goign to Borders tommorrow so i'll pick it up then. As far as men vs women writing, I think that's why I love Wally Lamb so much. His writing style is very female if that makes any sense lol I think guys are much better at writing suspense and action but overall I do prefer female writers with the exception of Wally. I heart him!

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 10:40:28 PM »

lol where the heck is Katie? She did the same thing I did and totally disappeared for her month. Anyhoo, I finished the book and I really really enjoyed it. I do have to admit that I miss my cheesy teen fiction, but this one was just intriguing and entertaining all the way through. Very unique plot and he has an excellent way of dropping hints throughout the story that are all vital and come together very nicely at the end. It was a great way to tell a story.

I also loved how I was never sure who the good guys were and who the bad guys were. He honestly kept me guessing through the whole thing and I suppose I figured it out at the exact moment he wanted me to.

Also, for anyone who has read the book, were you just as surprised as me by what happens at the end of the second part? When Wednesday meets with the newer Gods? I read that I I was like, "Wait! They can't... They didn't... OMG THEY TOTALLY DID!" Literally. I said these words out loud and y husband gave me that look he does, when I'm really in to a book and I start yelling at characters.

So, I really enjoyed this book and I'm kind of sad that it seems I'm the only one who read it. Now I have no one to talk about it with. 

Oh well. I'm finished now, so it's off to read Dancing Down In Red Moon. YAY for SN fanfic!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »

I have sucked with this month. I haven't even gotten the book although I had a dream about it last night lol I dreamt that he said this was his least favorite book and that Juliily was surprised we all knew it was a guy who wrote it. WTF? lmao how weird is that?

I doubt i'll get it read by the end of the month but I still do intend to read it. Seems like we need a how to host a book club month 101 class. lol

Who is doing Feb?

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »

hahaha, nice dream! The day I start dreaming about the AC boards is the day I KNOW I spend too much time chatting on them. And the actual hosting this wouldn't be so hard, but where are all the people that said they would read along each month?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 02:08:29 PM »

The same people who always go into the challenge threads and say they are going to write one and never do lol

I did suck this month, but I almost knew I would. LOL I don't even really have a great excuse except that all bookstores involve shopping and the library is just too much work. I hope someone does come in and say something this month. Someone has to have read it besides you. If not i'm really going to try to get it soon. We'll see.
Pages: [1] 2 3