Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Let's ring in the new year with some praise!  (Read 23068 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Let's ring in the new year with some praise!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »

1.  What was your biggest writing- or fanfic-related accomplishment of 2008?
Finally finishing By My Side, my 202-chapter, 817774-word, four-years-in-the-making epic sequel LOL.  And yeah, the fact that I actually wrote a story that long from beginning to end is a source of pride for me too LOL.

2.  What do you feel was the best piece of writing you did this year?  It can be a whole story or just a certain chapter or scene.  Give us a link or, if it's a really short excerpt (like a paragraph), post it here.
At first I was thinking 00Carter, cause my creativity is always piqued by that story and it's easy to give each scene 110% when you're only responsible for a few of them.  But I have to go back to the end of BMS.  I had had the ending of that story planned out for almost four years before I actually got to write it, and after that long, I was afraid I would disappoint myself, that even my best attempt at writing what had been playing out in my head just wouldn't do it justice.  It happens a lot.  But I am really happy with how the last few chapters of that story turned out.  They may be cheesy, but they're also powerful, to me at least.  At this point, I wouldn't change a thing.  http://accidentalchaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8030

3.  Which of your own stories are you most proud of, and why?  (This doesn't have to be one written in 2008).
00Carter.  It's not my own story; it's just a collaboration I'm lucky enough to be part of, but I am proud of the writing I've contributed to it and even prouder of the work we've done together as a team.  I was hesitant to join that team at first because the basic premise, in the beginning, was "Nick as James Bond," and at the time, I'd only seen one Bond fic and still find it hard to get into them.  Come to find out, most of the other ten writers who joined in the beginning were the same way, and so two years later, the product of our collective random minds has become so much more than a James Bond spoof.  I think it's the most creative, brilliant, hilarious story I've ever been a part of, and I'm proud to have a hand in it.

4.  Give us a link to one of your own stories that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed, and tell us why you think it's worthy of being read.
I wrote a short story called "The World Will Know Your Name" back in April, the first short I'd done in a loooong time.  The idea had been in my head for a few months, but because I was hell bent on finishing BMS before I started anything new, I had put it in the backseat for awhile.  I finally brought it to life and was (and still am) really happy with how it turned out.  It only got two reviews on AC... I'm not sure if that's because it fell through the cracks, being a one-shot, or the summary just didn't hook people, or because it was an AJ fic, not Nick, or people just didn't like it, but I like it because it's something different from me, being a short story and narrated in first person, so I'll throw it out there again.  http://accidentalchaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8970

5.  Switching over to praise for other writers, give us a link to someone ELSE'S story that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed.  Again, tell us why you think this story is worthy of being read.
In scrolling through my AC favorites, I noticed quite a few of the stories I love only have a few reviews, but for most of them, I figure it's because they were posted on other websites a long time ago, and the authors have other readers who left them feedback through their own sites.  But I was surprised by the lack of response to this one... http://accidentalchaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=6563  "Satin and Silk" by Julilly.  We know her as a suspense/supernatural writer, thanks to her brilliant "Hawk and a Handsaw," but this is a very sweet, historical romance from her, AND it's already finished, which means no waiting for updates.  It's something different from all the other Nick romances that are out there, and it's a quick read, only 15 chapters.  I definitely think it's more deserving than than the five reviews it got, two of which are from Mare and me.  Check it out!

6.  What was the best story you discovered in 2008?  Provide a link, and tell why you liked it.
I'm torn between two:  "How to Save a Life" by Pengi and "Fan Friction" by Honey.  They're both excellent suspense fics with interesting, different premises.  My only complaint with both of them is that they don't get updated often enough.  Especially your fic, Pengi!  Here are the links:
How to Save a Life - http://accidentalchaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8904
Fan Friction - http://accidentalchaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8964

7.  Name an AC author who impressed you this year (with their writing, their updating, whatever it may be LOL), and tell us why.
I'm impressed with Jen, aka FrickFrackGirl .  After years of being one of the best readers any writer could ask for (she sends awesome feedback and gushes about the stories she likes all over LD LOL), she decided to give writing a try this year, and now, at the end of 2008, she already has seven stories to her name on AC.  She's done challenges, songfics, and even started a novel, so I think she deserves some love back!  http://accidentalchaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=961

8.  Do you have any writing- or fanfic-related resolutions for 2009?  If so, what are they?
I want to get back to writing more often than I have been lately.  I want to continue my new story, "Secrets of the Heart," and really get into it.  I would love us to write more than three episodes a year of 00Carter, but I don't have much control over that LOL.  I would like to read more fanfic too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:59:36 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »

Just writing anything. My muse was dormant for a looong time (okay so I had an awfully good excuse for a while, but then after that...just couldn't seem to make myself write anything. So, my biggest writing accomplishment this year was simply to get my pen on the paper and writing something. (Or okay, putting my fingers on the keyboard and typing, but you get the idea...)

2.  What do you feel was the best piece of writing you did this year?  It can be a whole story or just a certain chapter or scene.  Give us a link or, if it's a really short excerpt (like a paragraph), post it here.

This year...I'm really partial to "His Holiday", but perhaps that's because it's the first solo story I did this year. It does need a little polishing up (I re-read it and am a bit embarassed at a few things a beta reader surely would have called me on, but overall I like how it turned out) I thought it was a bit more original than a lot of my other stuff (I admit that I tend to have a very similar theme to a lot of my stories, and this one was a bit different...)

http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9460

"Oh joy. It’s that special time of year again, and all the little hospital ‘elves’ are scurrying about in ridiculous outfits and planning some grand Sacred Heart Holiday--not party, oh no, not a party according to the fliers that are posted every two feet along the corridor walls in case someone somewhere somehow misses the seven or eight posted at every single nurses’ station or the twelve in the cafeteria, so no, not a party--Fiesta!

I don’t want to sound cliché or anything, but Bah Humbug."

3.  Which of your own stories are you most proud of, and why?  (This doesn't have to be one written in 2008).

Of all my stories, I'm probably most proud of "Well...Maybe One Power". This will probably surprise a lot of people because well...I think it's the one story I've ever written that got only one "review" on the multiple sites that it was posted on. People either didn't read it, or for whatever reason didn't like it, BUT to me I thought it was one of my better ones. It was a more "original" story, and I thought it was one of the funnier stories I've ever written (with some amusing "angst" thrown in).

4.  Give us a link to one of your own stories that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed, and tell us why you think it's worthy of being read.

My Perfect Day http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9336 is one I'm co-writing, and I think it's largely undiscovered because it's in a small fandom (Scrubs). I think it's got a lot of the elements that people like(d) about my BSB fic Ground Zero (suspence, angst, and yet mixed with quite a bit of humor), so I think that if given the chance it, too, would be appreciated.

5.  Switching over to praise for other writers, give us a link to someone ELSE'S story that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed.  Again, tell us why you think this story is worthy of being read.

I'm not sure that I'd say it's undiscovered exactly, but I do think underappreciat ed is Honey's No Such Thing as the Boogeyman http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8549. I think, again, it's a matter of it being in a not-much-represented fandom on this site (though the Supernatural section of the site does appear to be getting a little bit more popular of late. Yay Supernatural!) I'm not a big fanfic reader these days (sorry ya'll) but this one grabbed my attention and kept me reading through the whole story (which with my attention span--or lack thereof--is pretty impressive). There's a lot of twists, lots of suspence. It keeps you guessing without ever doing anything unbelievable (for the fandom). Plus, one of my favorite features, is that it has bits of humor strewn throughout. And she does an excellent job keeping the Winchester boys in character.

6.  What was the best story you discovered in 2008?  Provide a link, and tell why you liked it.

Again I'll admit that I haven't read a whole lot this year. On this site, I'd go with the aforementioned story by Honey. Counting other sites, I really enjoyed My Rescue Blues by SkyPad (written in 2006-7, but I only discovered it in late 2008...as always I'm late to the party!) http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3281868/1/My_Rescue_Blues

7.  Name an AC author who impressed you this year (with their writing, their updating, whatever it may be LOL), and tell us why.

Once again I have to admit I didn't really read much here on AC this year, but I'll say that Mare and Julilly highly impress me with the way they've kept this site running rather smoothly and keeping the discussions flowing, etc, here on the boards. And their writing, of course, always impresses me as well! So thanks you two!

8.  Do you have any writing- or fanfic-related resolutions for 2009?  If so, what are they?

I do. It's to write at least a little bit every single day--even if it's just a paragraph or two. While the end-goal is to finish all my in-progress fics and to finish my original novel, I've discovered this year that trying to force myself to work on a story just because I haven't updated it in a while just doesn't work. It's not until I let myself start writing new things that I started being able to work on my in-progress things again, so...my resolution is just to write and let the rest of it come as it does. (Very zen, I know...)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:02:42 PM by Chaos »

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 10:54:22 PM »

Aww, shucks you guys, is there a blushing smiley? There is a lot of Honey love in this thread. Thank you so much, Julie, Mare and Chaos! That just made my day.

Julie, I really do have to apologize for the lack of updates! But I'm done with Jamie (well practically) so hopefully they will be more frequent. I also need to go read How TOo Save A Life, because I've onl ever heard the BEST things about this story and Pengi...

And Mare, you just made me feel all warm and fuzzy, but honestly I sort of have to blame you for my diversity, because it started with all of your monthly challenges (this months looks super hard, btw. thanks. :P) And then I only ever started a few of the stories because of you and all your romance hating talk. It always made me think I needed to broaden my horizons, and then it was like I just had to see if I could do it. For some reason, even though I haven't read much of your stuff, you always manage to push me in my own writing. Can't really explain why, but you do... So thank you for that.

And YAY Chaos!!! Thank you so much for reading my story and I'm happy that you enjoyed it! All of your praise honestly made me blush. *I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!* Especially because coming from you it means a lot because I just love your writing. I'm seriously so happy to see you updating again and have made it my mission to read your SN stories this week while things are still kind of slow for me. (HAHA I need a Supernatural fix BAD!)

Also, I have to agree with Chaos that Mare and Julilly ROCK! they impress me all the time with the amount of time and effort that spend keeping this site going! WOOT for the mods!

Oh, and Rose is right about Julie! Every time I read anything of Julie's (which I'm ashamed to admit who little that is) I'm always impressed! I should go check out The World Will Know Your Name.

Looks like I've got some reading to do!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 10:56:57 PM »

ok wow. I typed that at like a million miles an hour and I don't even want to know how many typos are in that post! Probably a million. I'm ashamed. (But too lazy to go back and edit it. lol)
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 11:36:30 PM »

The challenge I mentioned in the beginning of this thread is up.  Hopefully that will encourage some more responses here too!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 11:40:35 PM »

Btw, thank you, Rose and Kelly!  I'm flattered by what Rose said and Kelly agreed with.  :)  I think 2008 gave me a lot of opportunities to break out of the "Nick medical drama" mold people saw me in (because that's what I had been writing for five years straight LOL), which was both challenging and fun.  I didn't write as much last year as I'm used to writing in a year, but I am really proud of what I did write.  Quality over quantity, right? LOL  I'm really excited about the projects I have going on for 2009!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 11:47:38 PM »

It's been great seeing you break free of that mold. Because of CB and then of course Broken and BMS, when we first started 00Carter, I was wondering how you'd do. And this year you just shattered any thought of you not being able to do something that I had.

Kelly, I recommend Julie's challenge story for...August? I just know I made her to a horror and it's fabulous...tho ugh very UNFINISHED! lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 11:54:01 PM »

LOL I was wondering too.  That, along with the fact that I had no real interest in James Bond, was why I was hesitent to sign up for 00Carter in the first place, aside from making graphics and Flash movies, if you'll remember LOL.  So I kinda proved it to myself that I am capable of more than drama LOL.

Yeah, it was August, and I do still need to do the continuation of that, but I have to be in the right mindset to do it, that very dark, gory place, and I haven't gotten myself to that place since then LOL.  I guess I need to bust out the Saw DVD sometime.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 11:59:02 PM »

Saw, Kill Bill, Chainsaw Massacre...

Anything with very graphic killings right lol.

And yeah, I remember how hesitant you were, but I loved ya, plus something told you making sure you and Dee did it was a great idea. And look at us now lol. Brain sharage.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 12:04:32 AM »

And look, I write on it! lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 09:20:03 AM »

Just writing at all. There were many times that I thought my well had dried up, and that I would have no more ideas but they still came. They came few and far between but they came.

I honestly don't believe that anything I wrote this year was really that noteworthy. Like I said, it's been a tough year. I feel like a lot of what I wrote lacked substance.

As You Are is probably my favourite, followed by Hawk and a Handsaw.

I think the things I've written have recieved more praise than I expected they would. They all have the praise they deserve... so I'll just link to all of them http://accidentalchaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=56

I honestly haven't read much new stuff this year. I've been kind of reliving the past through my fanfic. There is though, a returning author that has caught my attention because of her original ideas.

Everyone knows I love AU - it's my thing, really. What I love most is when someone really tries to come up with an original way of presenting the past, and FiliKlepto does that with On The Rails. I love the concept and I think there's great potential there. 

http://accidentalchaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9453

I guess I've already done that, so see above!

Although it was late in the year -- Chaos. He jumped back on the bandwagon with a vigor that I only wish I could emulate.

Hawk and a Handsaw is going to be finished in early 2009.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 10:21:46 AM »

And Mare, you just made me feel all warm and fuzzy, but honestly I sort of have to blame you for my diversity, because it started with all of your monthly challenges (this months looks super hard, btw. thanks. :P) And then I only ever started a few of the stories because of you and all your romance hating talk. It always made me think I needed to broaden my horizons, and then it was like I just had to see if I could do it. For some reason, even though I haven't read much of your stuff, you always manage to push me in my own writing. Can't really explain why, but you do... So thank you for that.

Aww, well i'm glad I could motivate you, even though you're not exatly sure how or why lol I wish I could motivate myself.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »

^ have I mentioned how much I love your avi yet?    Adorable!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 04:00:14 PM »

Thanks! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 09:49:24 PM »

I'll fill this out after I think it over some more - lol.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4