Fic Talk > Featured Story of the Month

Featured story for February 2007 - Ground Zero by Chaos :O)

(1/5) > >>

mare:
So here's the thread to discuss all things Ground Zero. I know i'm starting this a day early but it's all good. It's already February in Australia and New Zealand.  ;)

Anyway, I picked this one because it got me started in the world of Fan Fiction. Without ever happening upon this story I can say I would have never began writing as a hobby and in turn writing for more than that! lol

I know we are all busy people and it's understandable if we don't have time to read all the stories of the month. I'm sure I won't be able to do that myself for lot's of them, but if you don't and have read this one, here would be the place you'd want to say what you liked about it. What drew you in, some of your favorite scenes etc...

Remember we all write from our hearts and these stories are very personal for us so it's possible what you write can inspire someone who hasn't written in a loong time to maybe start writing again!

And on that note...

Happy Reading!

http://www.absolutechaos.net/cgi-bin/stories/display.cgi?id=2&sort=date&cat=26

starbeamz:
I'm not entirely sure whether I should talk about this story as a whole or not, but I think I'll start at the beginning.

Ground Zero sucked me in right from the start. The first chapter has so much in it that made me laugh, made me sigh, and then I started to bite my nails over the end of it. I think it says something really awesome about a writer when I see the way he or she has portrayed the Boys and find that I actually think the Boys may think or say those things in real life. Chaos absolutely has this ability, and the vividness of his writing practically made me see the story in my head. I could see the way the shower curtain wrapped around Nick and the way he freaked out over the huge guy currently stabbing at him with a needle. And, of course, at the end of the chapter, I sat there and went "Oh, my gosh! Next chapter, please!" *click*

That's pretty much how I got through the whole story. I couldn't get away from the computer screen because the tension and apprehension Nick and the other Boys feel in the story was transferring itself into me. I HAD to know what was happening next. Another bunch of points to Chaos for making me feel exactly what they must have been feeling.

Ground Zero is an incredible ride of a story, and, the best part? The story isn't exactly over. I'm assuming everyone else will say this, too, but I'll be the first to say it. Chaos, please, pretty please work on the sequel! That teaser on your blog was definitely not enough to satisfy this enormous curiosity I have to need to know what happens!

So, brilliant job on the entire story (and I love the chapter titles, too!), and please keep writing! You're one of the best authors I've read, and I seem to be unable to get enough of your work!

felikia2009:
This was one of my first stories that I've read.  I love action, suspense, that type of fic, and this one has it all. Plus, i have a thing for stories when the boys are in danger lol, i dont know why really. One of my all-time favorite fics :)

Nijntje:
I love the way Nick's flashbacks are written.. Maybe that's partly because I'm a psychologist ;) I kinda know how that must be like (not that I really know, but I do know what the symptoms PTSS looks like) and it  really really is written like that in the story.
What drew me in too, was the helplessness that Nick feels while on the other hand, he feels silly for feeling that way. The contradiction is described really believable and detailed, which I love.. Owh and another thing. In other stories, the main character that has been hurt, seems to get over that in just a matter of days.. but in this story, you can tell it's NOT gonna be that way which is much more real of course!
And as Felikia, I love reading about fics in which the guys are in some kind of danger.. Great job Chaos!

mare:
I agree with what the three of you have said and I also have to add that one of the things that really drew me into the story was the fact that it was told so brilliantly from Nick's POV. I think it's the first fanfic I had ever read that was in first person and it just flowed so nicely that I really couldn't stop reading it.

His Nick was so realistic in his thoughts and mannerisms. I mean not that any of us know the 'real' Nick. But he captured Nick's persona so well.

The fact that Chaos was never really a fan, which of course we all know by now, just makes it even more incredible. I'm not sure I would ever be able to pull something like that off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version