Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Poll

Which of these books would you like to discuss in February?

My Sister's Keeper
- 2 (25%)
My Sister's Keeper
- 4 (50%)
Change of Heart
- 0 (0%)
The Pact
- 2 (25%)
Vanashing Acts
- 0 (0%)
Songs of the Humpback Whale
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: February's book club choices :O)  (Read 2904 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
February's book club choices :O)
« on: January 25, 2009, 01:02:40 PM »

So, the last two months have been kind of unproductive. Do we still want to do this? I do think it's a great idea but I have to admit, I haven't had the kind of time I would have liked to read these books plus read the ones i'm currently reading now.

Since I have been reading most of her books, February is Jodi Picoult month so pick from one of these choices.

Nineteen Minutes: This one is on my all time favorite books list.

In this emotionally charged novel, Jodi Picoult delves beneath the surface of a small town to explore what it means to be different in our society.

In Sterling, New Hampshire, 17-year-old high school student Peter Houghton has endured years of verbal and physical abuse at the hands of classmates. His best friend, Josie Cormier, succumbed to peer pressure and now hangs out with the popular crowd that often instigates the harassment. One final incident of bullying sends Peter over the edge and leads him to commit an act of violence that forever changes the lives of Sterling’s residents.

Even those who were not inside the school that morning find their lives in an upheaval, including Alex Cormier. The superior court judge assigned to the Houghton case, Alex—whose daughter, Josie, witnessed the events that unfolded—must decide whether or not to step down. She’s torn between presiding over the biggest case of her career and knowing that doing so will cause an even wider chasm in her relationship with her emotionally fragile daughter. Josie, meanwhile, claims she can’t remember what happened in the last fatal minutes of Peter’s rampage. Or can she? And Peter’s parents, Lacy and Lewis Houghton, ceaselessly examine the past to see what they might have said or done to compel their son to such extremes. Nineteen Minutes also features the return of two of Jodi Picoult’s characters—defense attorney Jordan McAfee from The Pact and Salem Falls, and Patrick DuCharme, the intrepid detective introduced in Perfect Match.

Rich with psychological and social insight, Nineteen Minutes is a riveting, poignant, and thought-provoking novel that has at its center a haunting question. Do we ever really know someone?

My Sister's Keeper - Another excellent book

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantatio n genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never questioned… until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister - and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable… a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life… even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less?

Change of Heart - This one was good to. Really makes you think at the end

Shay Bourne - New Hampshire’s first death row prisoner in 69 years – has only one last request: to donate his heart post-execution to the sister of his victim, who is looking for a transplant. Bourne says it’s the only way he can redeem himself…but with lethal injection as his form of execution, this is medically impossible. Enter Father Michael Wright, a young local priest. Called in as Shay’s spiritual advisor, he knows redemption has nothing to do with organ donation – and plans to convince Bourne. But then Bourne begins to perform miracles at the prison that are witnessed by officers, fellow inmates, and even Father Michael – and the media begins to call him a messiah. Could an unkempt, bipolar, convicted murderer be a savior? It seems highly unlikely, to the priest. Until he realizes that the things Shay says may not come from the Bible…but are, verbatim, from a gospel that the early Christian church rejected two thousand years ago…and that is still considered heresy.

Change Of Heart looks at the nature of organized religion and belief, and takes the reader behind the closely drawn curtains of America’s death penalty. Featuring the return of Ian Fletcher from Keeping Faith, it also asks whether religion and politics truly are separate in this country, or inextricably tangled. Does religion make us more tolerant, or less? Do we believe what we do because it’s right? Or because it’s too frightening to admit that we may not have the answers?

The Pact - I'm reading this one right now and so far it's really great!

In this contemporary tale of love and friendship, Jodi Picoult brings to life a familiar world, and in a single terrifying moment awakens every parent's worse fear: We think we know our children… but do we ever really know them at all?

For eighteen years the Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other, sharing everything from Chinese food to chicken pox to carpool duty-- they've grown so close it seems they have always been a part of each other's lives. Parents and children alike have been best friends, so it's no surprise that in high school Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more. They've been soul mates since they were born.

So when midnight calls from the hospital come in, no one is ready for the appalling truth: Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head. There's a single unspent bullet in the gun that Chris took from his father's cabinet-- a bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself. But a local detective has doubts about the suicide pact that Chris has described.

The profound questions faced by the characters in this heart-rending novel are those we can all relate to: How well do we ever really know our children, our friends? What if…? As its chapters unfold, alternating between an idyllic past and an unthinkable present, The Pact paints an indelible portrait of families in anguish… culminating in an astonishingly suspenseful courtroom drama as Chris finds himself on trial for murder.

With this riveting psychological drama, Jodi Picoult explores the dynamics of intimate relationships under stress-- from the seemingly inexplicable mind of a teenager to the bonds of friendship and marriage. Few writers have such a gift for evoking everyday life coupled with the ability to create a level of dramatic tension that will keep you up reading late into the night. The Pact is storytelling at its best: wonderfully observed, deeply moving, and utterly impossible to put down.

Vanishing Acts - Haven't read this one yet

Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her widowed father, Andrew, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fiancé, and her own search-and-rescue bloodhound, which she uses to find missing persons. But as she plans her wedding, she is plagued by flashbacks of a life she can’t recall. And when a policemen arrives to disclose a truth that will upend the world as she knows it, Delia must search through these memories – even when they have the potential to devastate her life, and the lives of those she loves most. Vanishing Acts is a book about the nature and power of memory; about what happens when the past we have been running from catches up to us… and what happens when the memory we thought had vanished returns as a threat.

Songs of the Humpback Whale - Haven't read this one yet either lol

In this novel, Jodi Picoult interweaves five rich narrative voices to tell a story of love, loss, and self-discovery. The voices belong to a mother, her daughter, and three very different men.

Jane had always lived in somebody's shadow. Escaping a childhood of abuse by marrying oceanographer Oliver Jones, she finds herself taking second place to his increasingly successful career. However, when her daughter Rebecca is slighted, Jane's dramatic stand takes them all by surprise.

Leaving Oliver and his whale tapes behind in San Diego, Jane and Rebecca set out to drive across America to Uncle Joley and the sanctuary of the Massachusetts apple orchard where he works. Joley directs Jane across the United States in a series of letters waiting for her in designated post offices. Each letter gives concise directions to the next post office; each letter provides Jane with a chance to reflect on her forgotten past.

Oliver, used to tracking male humpback whales across vast oceans, now has the task of tracking his tantalizingly unpredictable wife across a continent. To do so he must learn to see the world-- and even himself-- through her eyes.

Songs of the Humpback Whale is a powerful and sensitive novel of family life that questions how songs are passed down from male speaker to male speaker, but also examines the female tradition of listening that women unconsciously pass on to their daughters

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: February's book club choices :O)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »

They all sound good, but I voted for "My Sister's Keeper."  That one has been recommended to me before, and I've been meaning to check it out anyway.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:07:35 PM »

I can see you really enjoying that one.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 06:21:16 PM »

I don't know which one to vote for...  :-[ I still have to think about it.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »

ok, I need help! Which one should I pick?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 07:32:46 PM »

Personally, out of them all I think Nineteen Minutes is the best one.

That being said, I think you might enjoy The Pact more because of the love story in there. I think Nineteen Minutes is a must read for everyone who has a child or wants to teach.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 07:43:06 PM »

Ok, I was trying to choose between The Pact and Vanishing Acts, so, I guess The Pact, it is. Though, my sister's keeper sounds interesting as well as Nineteen Minutes... hmmm.

Are they all by Jodi Picoult? I have a friend who owns like all of her books. She's one of her favorites.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 07:54:53 PM »

They are all Jodi Picoult. lol I figured since I love her so much I might as well just limit things to her this month.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 08:19:55 PM »

That's cool. I need to read something by her anyway.

sweet18_2003

• Captain of Commotion
    • My Space
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 07:10:12 PM »

All of her books are amazing...alth ough My sisters Keeper and The Pact are my favorites so far!  Nineteen minutes was amazing also, but I thought it was slow in parts.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 07:25:53 PM »

Nineteen Minutes sounds good too.  Although that's pretty funny that you said it was slow in parts when it's called "Nineteen Minutes" LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 09:03:14 PM »

The only book of hers I haven't liked is Mercy. I didn't even finish that one, but probably will at one point.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 04:40:22 PM »

So, did we ever make a decision? I am going to the library tomorrow, and I need to know which one I'm picking up!!!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 04:52:32 PM »

It's a two way tie between the Pact and My Sister's Keeper and if I vote Nineteen Minutes as well.

Maybe someone else will vote to break the tie.

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 04:59:45 PM »

Mine was for 19 Minutes, though Change of Heart sounds really intriguing, too...sadly that does not help break the tie. (sorry!) lol
Pages: [1] 2 3 4