Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Poll

Which of these books would you like to discuss in February?

My Sister's Keeper
- 2 (25%)
My Sister's Keeper
- 4 (50%)
Change of Heart
- 0 (0%)
The Pact
- 2 (25%)
Vanashing Acts
- 0 (0%)
Songs of the Humpback Whale
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: February's book club choices :O)  (Read 2905 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: February's book club choices :O)
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 05:13:31 PM »

Cool!  I'm liking it so far, but I haven't had enough time to get very far into it yet.  If it's like his other books, though, once I do, I won't be able to put it down!  I think that's what happened with The Lovely Bones; I was reading Salem's Lot again then, and even though I'd already read it once, I couldn't stop once I got into it again LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »

Yup, you'll be doing that with this one as well

Which I guess means see you in March! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 05:25:21 PM »

LOL!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

ange.to.the.la

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 02:03:21 PM »

This is a really good book! I might have to join the discussion.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 02:12:09 PM »

Yay, more people to talk with! I started last night!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2009, 06:32:45 AM »

If I slack, blame it on Stephen King, cause I just started reading The Stand too, and it's over 1100 pages long...

That's one of my absolute favorite books. Just curious, do you have the Original version or the Unabridged? I'm thinking that sounds like the longer one, but all his books are so long it's hard to tell!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2009, 06:45:04 AM »

What's this book about? I'm too lazy to look it up on Amazon or something lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2009, 07:09:18 AM »

The US Military accidentally releases a "super-flu" virus into the world and it wipes out 99+ % of the population. It's mainly about 2 seperate societies that emerge out of the survivors--one group is drawn to Mother Abigail, a 104 year old woman who each person in the group has dreams/visions about. They form a "Free Zone" society in Boulder, CO and are essentially considered "good" (though aren't always...). The other group of people dream of Randall Flagg, who is kind of an anti-Christ figure, and they form a seperate society in Vegas. And essentially it becomes clear that the "good" society has to either destroy Flagg's society OR be destroyed by them.

Lots more to it than that, but it's a really hard novel to describe. LOL. If you read it, I highly recommend trying to find a copy of the original version to read first. The unabridged is really fascinating to read later, but IMO it's a little slower to get to the action and harder to get into. I almost gave up on it until someone handed me the original version to read. And then later, I went back and read the unabridged and it's really great added stuff so I'm glad I went back to try it again; it was just harder to get into the book at first (for me, anyway...)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2009, 07:33:10 AM »

I've read The Stand and it was good though I don't know which version I have. I didn't notice your post above but I meant the book for book club lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2009, 07:38:38 AM »

LOL. Gotcha.

I haven't read it, but from mare's description:

My Sister's Keeper - Another excellent book

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantatio n genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never questioned… until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister - and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable… a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life… even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less?

I haven't ever read anything from this author, but she sounds like she picks some great controversial topics to work with. Should be interesting!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2009, 07:42:36 AM »

She is awesome! Next to Wally LAmb and Stephen King, she's my favorite author. ALthough the last book I read by her I hated ALL of the characters! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2009, 07:44:06 AM »

Hmm, it does sound interesting but I don't know if it is my kind of book. I have to be REALLY into it in order to finish it, otherwise it becomes a distant memory of a book I once picked up and got 5 chapters into lol Perhaps I will venture to the bookstore today and if it's reasonably priced I'll pick it up :P
~Maple Jellybean~

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2009, 07:48:20 AM »

Yeah this particular one doesn't sound like one I'd get into as much as some of the others, but I'll give it a shot if I can get my hands on a copy. And I defintely have added a couple of the other ones mentioned in the original post as books I want to read if/when I ever find time. LOL.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2009, 07:49:45 AM »

I'm telling you guys, her best one by far is Nineteen Minutes. You must read it! You have no choice! lol

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2009, 08:01:49 AM »

Yeah, that's the one that I'm most likely to pick up and actually read (I have a *horrible* habit lately of picking up books and essentially using them for shelf decoration...*sigh*)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4