Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Poll

Which of these books would you like to discuss in February?

My Sister's Keeper
- 2 (25%)
My Sister's Keeper
- 4 (50%)
Change of Heart
- 0 (0%)
The Pact
- 2 (25%)
Vanashing Acts
- 0 (0%)
Songs of the Humpback Whale
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: February's book club choices :O)  (Read 2906 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: February's book club choices :O)
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2009, 10:41:19 AM »

That's one of my absolute favorite books. Just curious, do you have the Original version or the Unabridged? I'm thinking that sounds like the longer one, but all his books are so long it's hard to tell!

It's the Unabridged.  I haven't read the original, so I won't know the difference, but might as well read the longest version LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2009, 10:42:15 AM »

I ordered My Sister's Keeper last night, so it should be here within a week... just in time for me to get into it NEXT weekend.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2009, 11:58:02 AM »

Yay! lol we already have four pages in this thread and we haven't even started discussing the book yet.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »

I wasn't sure I was going to like this book at all. (My Sister's Keeper) It just didn't sound like the kind of book I would usually read. I opened it expecting to be bored and give up but I'm 150 pages in already and can't seem to put it down.  I freaking HATE the mom, and want to chop her head off, but so far, I'm loving this book. It actually makes me want to check out other stuff by her. Which is strange because I didn't realize Mare and I were capable of loving any of the same things lol. Thanks for the recommendation Mare!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »

I hate the mom too! That's the thing i love about this book. The characters are so flawed, all of them but you find something to like and dislike about them all. I avoided this book for the longest time because for some reason I thought it was about taking care of a mentally disabled person lol I have no idea why.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2009, 03:12:23 PM »

I found myself hating the mother too... but then I thought, if it were my family and my daughters would I ever really think that I were giving up the quality of life for one by wanting to save the other?

It's one of the controversial topics of which there really is no real answer.  I found myself siding with the daughter most often... but that's because having not been in the mother's position, I simply can't put myself in those shoes.
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2009, 03:16:32 PM »

Yup, I agree with what you said as well. There are points in the book (albeit small ones) that I do sometimes feel for the mom. Thinking that if I were in her position I might do the same thing. I guess it really is a hard thing to gaugue unless you happen to be in a position like that.

The thing is, if my younger child felt so bad about things that she felt she needed to get a lawyer, I would probably rethink my methods. I feel for Kate, is has to be a rough thing for her and she's kind of in the middle of it all.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 04:14:31 PM »

The first thing I don't like about this book ... I paid $20 for it! Highway robbery! It's paper and ink!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »

lol julilly. I wouldn't like that either.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2009, 05:06:30 PM »

I like this little pay guide on the back "$13.50 US $19.99 CDN" HOW DO YOU FIGURE!? lol Okay, I bought it, it's over, time to move on :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2009, 05:07:43 PM »

yeah the prices listed on the back are almost always more expensive for Canada. Couldn't tell you why? Sorry.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]