Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Song For The Undead  (Read 53324 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: 4.15.12
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2009, 07:15:53 PM »

The first chapter of Part II, Reaper's Sabbath, Chapter 21, has been posted :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2009, 07:28:28 PM »

Chapter 22 has just been posted, on our new update day, Saturday! :)

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2009, 01:19:36 AM »

Oops forgot to post a notice last week about Chapter 23 lol.

Anywho we just posted chapter 24, so go read!  >:( <--- I mean now darn it! LOL

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2009, 12:31:35 AM »

Chapter 25 has been posted. Woot!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2009, 09:28:55 PM »

Due to some technical difficulties.. . LOL, we were unable to update yesterday as planned. BUT we updated today with Chapter 26 instead! So yay. Check it out.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2009, 09:56:54 PM »

We are officially down a cowriter, now a duo rather than a trio. But the story must go on! lol. So Julie and I give you this week's update. Chapter 27 has been posted  ;D

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2009, 11:57:25 AM »

Ok, you guys will probably hate me for asking this but well, that's me...

This story... when is it going to get to the point? It's been 27 chapters and I still feel like it's dragging me along. In fact, I stopped reading for a while, and when I went to pick it back up I just skimmed because I haven't really gotten to anything "meaty".

So I'm just wondering, am I missing the point or has it not gotten there?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »

Chapter 31. :)

I know it's taken a long time, and I don't think we realized when we planned it out how long it was actually going to seem, but we felt like we needed to build the suspense slowly, while introducing the readers to the characters and their lives, before everything changed.

Also, we have ten characters, and until the last couple of chapters, they've been living ten separate lives, so in order to show each one's part of the story, we've been giving each one a chapter in each part... which is why each part is ten chapters long, and we're almost done with the third part for each character.

Part III, which starts with Chapter 31, is where you really get to the "meat" of the story, and we hope it will be worth the wait.  I'm sure it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it will be something different for Bsb fanfic, at least.  We're dying to get there!!

We've been planning this story since last July, and we still aren't to the whole point the idea came from, so we're really anxious too.  But June 14, you should know, and then you can decide if it's worth sticking with or not. :)

Thanks for asking!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2009, 06:57:10 PM »

What Julie said basically.

Trust me, we're very anxious to get there ourselves. I was just telling her this, before seeing this post. I'm beyond ready to get past Ch. 31 and get into the real point of the story. The buildup is slow, but necessary, I know I couldn't think of a better way to get there.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2009, 07:23:24 PM »

To be honest Julie I doubt I will stick with it, regardless of the chapter 31 prospect. It's just taken way too long. I wouldn't read 31 chapters into a novel before deciding whether I was going to keep reading.

I was just curious to know if the point was ever on the way lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2009, 07:45:39 PM »

That's okay, to each her own.  It's not like nothing has happened yet, with people dropping dead right and left from a mystery illness LOL, but you're right in guessing that there's something bigger to come.  We're intending this to be more of an epic, apocalyptic type story, so it's not going to be a quickie novella.  We've planned out 50 chapters so far, and that's only maybe half the story.  So if you're into it, you're in it for the long haul, and if that prospect doesn't appeal to you, then don't worry about it.

I'm enjoying developing the characters and putting the pieces together one by one, but I know not everyone can stand a story that builds slowly like that.  This is just one that we felt had to be written that way to achieve the suspension of belief that will make the actual premise work.  If we'd started with the action right off the bat, I don't think it would have worked.

Thanks for giving it a chance, and thanks for your feedback!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2009, 08:08:15 PM »

That's okay, to each her own.  It's not like nothing has happened yet, with people dropping dead right and left from a mystery illness LOL, but you're right in guessing that there's something bigger to come.  We're intending this to be more of an epic, apocalyptic type story, so it's not going to be a quickie novella.  We've planned out 50 chapters so far, and that's only maybe half the story.  So if you're into it, you're in it for the long haul, and if that prospect doesn't appeal to you, then don't worry about it.

I'm enjoying developing the characters and putting the pieces together one by one, but I know not everyone can stand a story that builds slowly like that.  This is just one that we felt had to be written that way to achieve the suspension of belief that will make the actual premise work.  If we'd started with the action right off the bat, I don't think it would have worked.

Thanks for giving it a chance, and thanks for your feedback!

Exactly, it's cool if it's not your cup of tea Julilly. :). But yeah, stuff's happened, everyone's dying, but there is definitely a bigger point to come of this lol.

I tend not to write novels THIS long, like beyond 50 chapters, but really, I agree with Julie. Once the true point does come to light, I think it will be very obvious that the buildup was completely needed, to make it, as realistic as we can get it. It's definitely our attempt at being epic lol.

It may be coming a bit slow, and I know that's totally the fault of deciding on 10 main characters and telling the story of every one. It's a choice we made, but that's the major consequence of it. Didn't think it'd come off so slow when we started, but I soooo see it now lol.

I do love developing the characters though. That's so my fave thing in stories, having my characters grow, and getting into their heads. Like in this one, the journal entries are totally my favorite part.

Thanks for the comments, cause I love getting some serious feedback, good and bad.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2009, 08:19:27 PM »

Yeah, I don't think we had any idea how long it would take LOL.  Good god.  But I don't think there's been any chapter so far that has been pointless; they've all been important for character development, and almost all of them have contributed pieces to the actual storyline too.  I think the fact that we took our time in building everything up will pay off later, and hopefully those who have invested in it and stick with it will appreciate it.

I guess for me, I'm used to writing stories longer than 50 chapters nowadays, so in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't seem that slow-paced or that intimidating to me.  The premise of this one is so much "bigger" than that of Broken and BMS, which both went 150+ chapters, so it doesn't faze me to think of this one getting that long.

I don't know if it will be longer than a hundred chapters or not, but I could see it getting that long, and if it does, then this rising action will have only encompassed the first quarter of the story.  I don't think that's bad.  In a two-hour movie, isn't the first half hour usually introducing you to the characters and setting up the problem?  Then the middle hour covers the problem, with the real action building.  The climax comes about three-quarters in, and that last half hour is the resolution and ending.  That's how I see this story going.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »

At the same time, if anyone has any tips for me on being less long-winded without taking away from the depth of a story, I could sure use them!  I have no hope of ever even trying to get a novel published if I can't condense one to a few hundred pages LOL.  This is not the story for that, but it's a problem I see myself having with the novel I would one day like to write.
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2009, 04:59:38 AM »

But I don't think there's been any chapter so far that has been pointless;

Well, pointless isn't synonymous with boring. I get it though, I don't need 31 chapters of explanation as to why you're being so long winded.

I don't necessarily have any suggestions beyond the fact that I felt too much like it was painfully obvious you were trying to "build suspense", and hide certain details. Through most chapters I felt myself saying 'okay, get on with it' because it's just the same thing over and over. I don't really care about any of the characters, because it's jumped around too much for me to remember who they are before I get back to them again.

The details take up more time than the actions, so even the "exciting" parts where people were dying I skimmed. Plus, the changes in writing style bugged me also.

But that's just one person's opinion, I thought Twilight was garbage after all so obviously I don't have good taste lol
~Maple Jellybean~

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15