Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: My Sister's Keeper :O)  (Read 7625 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
My Sister's Keeper :O)
« on: February 18, 2009, 05:17:27 AM »

Howdy gang!

I hope you all have gotten the book and have started to read it. We already had a tiny discussion going on in the other thread so I hope we can continue it in here.

So, if you haven't read it yet...at least try to read up to Wednesday by the end of the week.

What are your thoughts on the main characters so far? Who can you relate to most?

Who are your favorites and least favorites?

Do you like the idea of breaking up chapters into days instead of random numbers?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: My Sister's Keeper :O)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 05:19:05 PM »

Ok, I just read up to Wednesday, on Wednesday! Yay!

So far I have to say I'm into it more than I thought I would be. I really like the style, though at first I wasn't sure how I felt about the multiple POVs and changes in font lol

I really like the main characters, all of them, but I'm really liking Brian. In some ways it's like he plays both sides but he is really attentive to what goes on around him despite what others might think. My least favourite? Hmm. It's tough to say at this point because I'm just getting used to everyone -- I thought it was going to be Kate but she rectified herself. Right now I don't hate anyone.

I do like chapters into days also, though with the flashing back it hasn't really given me any real feeling that I am going through a week.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:21:08 PM »

I finished it a couple days ago. Brian is my favorite character. And then Jesse. I hate the mom.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »

I finished it a couple days ago. Brian is my favorite character. And then Jesse. I hate the mom.

I think I might come to hate the mum but I'm really trying to understand where she is coming from
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:37:51 PM »

Yup. I hate her too lol

I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on the ending. It's too soon to discuss it now but I would have even gone a step further.

I was going top ask what everyone thought about the multiple POV's. I personally love that since I write that way as well. I think it gave the story more depth, but yes, the flashbacks sometimes hindered that a bit.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:49:51 PM »

I think I might come to hate the mum but I'm really trying to understand where she is coming from

I really tried. And I really tried to give her the benefit of the doubt and empathize with her and all that, but I just never saw her love the other two kids. It's like she was so completely obsessed that she was blind to everything else in the entire world. The dad at least took a moment to think about things, and showed his other kids that he cared about them. I saw no personality to the mother. No actual character other than machine. She seemed very one dimensional and flat to me, when all of the other characters had many sides to them.

ps. I love that you said mum.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »

Yup. I hate her too lol

I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on the ending. It's too soon to discuss it now but I would have even gone a step further.

I was going top ask what everyone thought about the multiple POV's. I personally love that since I write that way as well. I think it gave the story more depth, but yes, the flashbacks sometimes hindered that a bit.

really? You would have? I don't think you want to know what my thought on the end were lol. I shall wait to discuss it though.

I loved the multiple POV's though. Because of the nature of the case, and the grayness of the issue at hand and the trial and all that, it was almost necessary to be able to get everyone's different perspectives. It really made me able to see all the different arguments with more open-mindedness. I think that was done really well and a great up-side to this story.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 04:34:31 PM »

Okay, I finally got my book in the mail, so I'll start it this weekend!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 06:12:48 PM »

okay, so what are your thought so far guys?

This week we should continue on with Thursday and Friday.

Some questions to ponder: What do you think is wrong with Campbell? Or what did you think was wrong with him that he needed his dog?

How do you feel about Julia and Campell? Do you think they made nice additions to the story or is it too much when it comes to everyone's POVs?

How about the flashbacks? Are you enjoying them or do you think the story would flow better without them?

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 02:01:36 PM »

I had no clue what was wrong with Campbell. It was actually driving me nuts and for a while I worried that she'd never tell us and I'd spend the rest of my life wondering.

I liked having Campbell's perspective when he was talking about the case or the girl, but I thought his and Julia's romance was just so out of place in this story. I couldn't see even one reason that any of it needed to be there. It didn't further the story at all. You could still read this book and have it make perfect sense if the entire subplot was just erased. It seemed to take you out of the now and place you in this entirely different story that belonged in a different book. I'm the girl who mostly needs there to be a romance subplot (or main plot lol) and even I was bothered by this romance being there.

The mom's flashbacks didn't bother me. Those needed to be there. We needed to know Kate's history in order to form an opinion on Anna's case. I didn't like how technical it got at times and was often the most bored while reading from the mom's perspective. I am one of those people that just needs to know she has cancer and that she's going to need whatever surgery. I don't need every single medical detail of the process and the names of all the treatments and meds and whatnot. I know a lot of people like that though. But if there were ever times I thought about putting the book down it was during the really long flashbacks of the mother's.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 03:17:56 PM »

I agree with the medical side of it. I often don't enjoy when the books go all technical like that. I feel like it's the author's way of saying, see? I did a ton of research and i'm going to prove it to you now.

I enjoyed the flashbacks, that's when I really started to feel for Kate the most. In the present, her character just kind of sits there dull for me, but in the flashbacks I really got a sense of what the poor girl is going through.

As far as Campbell and Julia, I kind of liked the little subplot, but agree it wasn't necessary. I enjoyed Julia as a character and would love to see her get a book of her own. I know Jodi likes to share characters from one story to the next so i'm hoping she'll pop in another novel one day.

Campbell's secret illness is the thing that bothered me most throughout the book. I still think it was unnecessary to give him anything at all especially once we finaly figured out what was wrong with him, I was kind of disappointed. LOL I was expecting more.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 07:10:40 PM »

LMAO that you liked the romance subplot and I didn't. I didn't mind the story itself, and wouldn't mind reading Julia's story. I just couldn't see any of it's relevance in Anna's story and found it distracting.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 07:49:27 PM »

I agree, it didn't have any relevance at all. I guess for me it just wasn't annoying because I liked them both. I like romance outside of BSB fanfic believe it or not. lol

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:31 PM »

I skimmed through a lot of the heavy medical portions just because I'm a wussy-baby. I can't handle people talking about medical procedures, or seeing them on tv, or reading them, etc without getting lightheaded so goddamn I was like no way am I reading this, skim skim
~Maple Jellybean~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »

The mom irked me. Completely. I couldn't understand her at all. I felt like since she "created" Anna to save Kate, that's all Anna was ever supposed to be. No matter what, and that she didn't see Anna the person, she saw Anna the donor.

I liked the multiple POVs, I found them necessary to telling the story properly.

I liked Campbell's perspective, it was a nice outsider one. Wasn't a fan of the romance subplot though. Totally not needed.

As for the reason he needed the dog, well it had me curious throughout the whole book lol. And the reason was a creative one, I'll give it that.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8