Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: My Sister's Keeper :O)  (Read 7623 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Re: My Sister's Keeper :O)
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2009, 11:15:31 PM »

It was very predictable (in the movie version).  The book ending is totally different and unexpected, which made it better.  You should definitely read the book at some point!

The book ending was definitely unpredictable. I don't know about better... (though I can't say for sure because because I don't know how the movie ends it.)  I think the end of the book was a cheap shot to make the reader cry, and an obvious attempt to preach a lesson. There was no subtlety about the fact that she was trying to be ironic. Plus, I just wondered why I invested so much time reading a book that by the end the entire purpose of the crusade became void. The end made the book pointless.

Sorry. I just really, really hated the ending to the book. It's not even about the fact that it didn't end happy. I can do bitter sweet endings, I just think this one failed epically. But I also realize I'm the definite minority.

Sorry, again. I'll stop now.  :angel:
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2009, 10:19:02 AM »

I finally saw the movie a couple of weeks ago.  I liked the book better, even though the ending was the pits...I thought it fit, here was Anna, who was born to save her sister who essentially died doing what her sister wanted and her sister lived.  Cruel irony...

I did like the movie, I just liked the book better...I wish they would have included some of the nonfamily stuff that was in the book in the movie.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2009, 12:00:54 PM »

I've still not read the book or seen the film, but they are on my list to do!  If I'm going to cry over a film, I'd rather do it in my house too rather than in front of a whole cinema full of people  :D

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2009, 01:12:50 PM »

I have no shame. I cry all the time at movies. Being in the theater has never bothered me because chances are I'm not the only one doing it.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »

I cried watching Marley & Me, but I wasn't the only one  :D  But at home, I can cry and not feel silly about it.  I hate crying in public.  I cried at my desk in work reading Breaking Dawn (that'll teach me not to read when I should be working) and my work colleagues gave me some strange looks.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2009, 11:07:04 PM »

you cried in BD? Where?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2009, 08:31:31 AM »

you cried in BD? Where?

OMG I'm pathetic aren't I, lol.

I cried in the part where Edward said goodbye to Jacob and Renesmee.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2009, 03:12:41 PM »

I finally saw the movie a couple of weeks ago.  I liked the book better, even though the ending was the pits...I thought it fit, here was Anna, who was born to save her sister who essentially died doing what her sister wanted and her sister lived.  Cruel irony...

I did like the movie, I just liked the book better...I wish they would have included some of the nonfamily stuff that was in the book in the movie.

Me too! I think Jillian's character should have been in there. Even though the subplot with her and the lawyer was a bit dumb, I felt like her character was a much needed element for what the whole book was about. I still don't see why they added some random sister for the mother to gripe to. lol that annoyed me.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2009, 06:19:32 PM »

Okay, so I just acquired this movie. (arg, mateys) I gotta say... that was terribly depressing, not as good as the book, but had it come out without me having ever read the book I think I would have enjoyed it. It was the comparison that killed it.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2009, 07:58:24 PM »

Yep... I agree.  It's a good movie, if you like Debbie Downer movies like that (which, okay, I do LOL).  It just loses the actual message of the book, which is more original and is what separated it from the countless other stories about people dying of cancer.  But even so, it told that kind of story much better than a lot of others - sure, it was cliched, but not overly cheesy or melodramatic or unrealistic.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2009, 09:02:01 PM »

I agree, had I not read and LOVED the book, I would have thought the movie was great (which it was) A little too Lifetime movie of the week for me at times, but I would have enjoyed it had they not ruined the book. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]