Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Next book club discussion will be a Stephen King book  (Read 2509 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Next book club discussion will be a Stephen King book
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:54:30 PM »

So, since there are no volunteers for next month's book, we could discuss a Stephen King book in April so if you guys have any suggestions for a book to read post them in this thread and then next week i'll put up a poll and we'll get started. I don't mind hosting again as long as people participate.

When you throw in your suggestion, also include a summary and why you like it so this way it'll be easier for people to pick which one they want to read. :)

In the meantime, keep reading My Sister's Keeper and American Gods.

:) Oprah
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Next book club discussion will be a Stephen King book
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 10:04:34 PM »

Yay Stephen King!  I've been reading a lot of Stephen King lately, so I can definitely recommend some I've enjoyed.  I'll definitely participate.  I'm still reading The Stand, although I kinda slacked off on that to read My Sister's Keeper, and I have a long ways to go.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:36:48 PM »

Okay, a few suggestions!  I have read all of these at least twice, which means they were not only good, they were good enough to re-read!

Cujo

Synopsis:
The Cambers' once-friendly St. Bernard turns into a killer after being bitten by a rabid bat. Donna Trenton's husband is in New York trying to contain a disastrous ad campaign. Feeling abandoned by her workaholic husband, who is frequently out of town, Donna Trenton embarks on an affair with a local handyman. Left to fend for herself, she takes her ailing Pinto to Joe Cambers' garage for repairs only to be trapped with her son Tad in the sweltering car by the monstrous dog.

This was the first SK book I read, my freshman year of high school, and I loved it!  Who would ever guess you could get a whole horror novel out of the scenario of a woman and her little kid trapped in a car by a big dog?  Of course, that's not the whole novel; there is a lot of back story that leads up to that and makes the story deeper than the movie.  It builds slowly, and even though you know what's eventually going to happen, it's still very suspenseful, as everything starts to fall into place for disaster to strike.

Misery

Synopsis:
Novelist Paul Sheldon has plans to make the difficult transition from writing historical romances featuring heroine Misery Chastain to publishing literary fiction. Annie Wilkes, Sheldon's number one fan, rescues the author from the scene of a car accident. The former nurse takes care of him in her remote house, but becomes irate when she discovers that the author has killed Misery off in his latest book. Annie keeps Sheldon prisoner while forcing him to write a book that brings Misery back to life.

I got "Misery" after seeing the movie, which is good, but as always, the book is even better.  Only Stephen King could write basically a whole novel that's set in one place, mostly in one room, with only two real characters, one of whom is barely mobile, and make it interesting!  And he does!  This book is suspenseful, sadistic, and downright scary.  I like it because it's about a writer, which adds some personal interest to it, and it's fairly gory, or at least graphic... it'll make you squirm, but that adds to the effect!  Also, Annie Wilkes is one of my favorite novel villains... she's so delightfully demented!

Salem's Lot

Synopsis:
Author Ben Mears returns to ‘Salem's Lot to write a book about a house that has haunted him since childhood only to find his isolated hometown infested with vampires. While the vampires claim more victims, Mears convinces a small group of believers to combat the undead.

This is one of his longer books...  I found it hard to get into the first time I tried to read it because it has a lot of characters and builds very slowly... setting the stage.  You get a real feel for the town of 'Salem's Lot and the characters who live in it before any real action begins.  It makes for a slow start, but it's worth it in the end because it means more when you see it all fall apart throughout the story, as the town becomes infested with vampires.  Once I got into it, I loved this book, and I read it a second time recently and loved it just as much, if not more!  This is not a Twilight-esque book that romanticizes vampires.  It portrays vampires as what they were intended to be - creatures of horror, monsters.  It's truly a scary book; I don't scare easily, especially from a book, but there were several scenes in this one that really did give me chills and make my blood run cold.
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:38:23 PM »

I've actually never read any Stephen King, so I'm up for any of them!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:44:42 PM »

I went through a SK phase in high school, when I got most of the books of his that I have now... and then I went through another phase just since last summer where I reread about half of the ones I had, and now I'm eager to read some new ones I haven't read.  So I'm anxious to see which books other people recommend.  Like I said, I'm reading "The Stand" currently, and it's good so far, although I'm "only" about 220 pages in, out of 1100+ pages, so I've got a ways to go!  That might not be the most reasonable one to choose for a book club LOL.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:46:01 PM »

ooh ooh!

Can we do Cell?

Graphic artist Clay Riddell was in the heart of Boston on that brilliant autumn afternoon when hell was unleashed before his eyes. Without warning, carnage and chaos reigned. Ordinary people fell victim to the basest, most animalistic destruction.

And the apocalypse began with the ring of a cell phone.

Basically it's an awesome book. It tells an end of the world that can actually happen with the right technology. It's downright creepy cause how many of us carry cell phones? Almost everyone, and that's what sparks the almost destruction of humanity.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:47:39 PM »

I went through a SK phase in high school, when I got most of the books of his that I have now... and then I went through another phase just since last summer where I reread about half of the ones I had, and now I'm eager to read some new ones I haven't read.  So I'm anxious to see which books other people recommend.  Like I said, I'm reading "The Stand" currently, and it's good so far, although I'm "only" about 220 pages in, out of 1100+ pages, so I've got a ways to go!  That might not be the most reasonable one to choose for a book club LOL.

I'm in that phase too, the rereading old ones by him I loved I mean. Right now I'm in the middle of "Christine".

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »

ooh ooh!

Can we do Cell?

Graphic artist Clay Riddell was in the heart of Boston on that brilliant autumn afternoon when hell was unleashed before his eyes. Without warning, carnage and chaos reigned. Ordinary people fell victim to the basest, most animalistic destruction.

Basically it's an awesome book. It tells an end of the world that can actually happen with the right technology. It's downright creepy cause how many of us carry cell phones? Almost everyone, and that's what sparks the almost destruction of humanity.

That's the one I wanted to read next... I can't find it though!  I looked for it at B&N a few weeks ago, and they didn't have it, so I got The Stand instead... then I tried to order it off Amazon this past weekend, when I was buying some other stuff, and I couldn't find it in stock!  All they had was the Spanish version or used books from other sellers... which I didn't want at the time because I was trying to rack up enough to get free shipping LOL.  Anyone know what's up with that?  It was just published in 2006...

Btw, I went to Stephen King's website to get my summaries; it's a good place to browse if anyone wants to check it out.  http://www.stephenking.com/library/novel/
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:53:38 PM »

What I really want is to the discuss the Dark Tower series but thats way too long for a month lmao.

You couldn't find it at all? Really? hmm. How odd.

Maybe walmart.com has it, thats where I found My Sister's Keeper and it was cheaper there than amazon for a new copy.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 10:53:56 PM »

ooh ooh!

Can we do Cell?

LOL I can't stop giggling, cause even though this sounds cool, it keeps reminding me of that M. Night Shyamalan movie "The Happening"... which, I have to say, even though I'm a defender of M. Night, was hilariously bad.  Hilariously.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 10:56:41 PM »

And you're also incredibly twisted lol. But that's a good thing.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 10:58:23 PM »

What I really want is to the discuss the Dark Tower series but thats way too long for a month lmao.

You couldn't find it at all? Really? hmm. How odd.

Maybe walmart.com has it, thats where I found My Sister's Keeper and it was cheaper there than amazon for a new copy.

LOL yeah, we'd have to do just the first one.

I just Googled for it, and I found the hardcover version on Amazon for $19 some... um, no!  BN.com has the hardcover for only $7... it's a bargain book there.  And Walmart.com only has the audio book!  Which makes me wonder, what is going on with it that you can only find limited quantities of the actual book?  And no paperback?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 11:02:43 PM »

That's so weird. I've had the paperback, even saw it being sold at my school's bookstore.

Hmm Borders has a website right? Maybe they have it?

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 11:15:58 PM »

It looks like Borders.com does have the paperback for 9.99 (but yeah it's weird that amazon doesn't!)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 05:55:19 AM »

I used to be really into Stephen King books when I was a teenager and then moved on to romance.  I've read quite a few but can't remember them all apart from Misery, IT and Carrie.  I'd be up for it maybe!
Pages: [1] 2 3