Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Poll

Which Stephen King book should we discuss?

Salem's Lot
- 0 (0%)
Salem's Lot
- 0 (0%)
Cell
- 6 (75%)
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
- 1 (12.5%)
The Eyes of the Dragon
- 0 (0%)
The Stand
- 1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Cell discussion thread  (Read 5801 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The Cell discussion thread
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 02:26:15 PM »

Are you all so busy saying "Holy Hell!" that you don't know what else to say?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 04:00:55 PM »

I just got my book today finally... I had to order it cause the stupid store didn't have it.  But spring break has officially started, so I'll get caught up pretty soon here!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 04:58:26 PM »

Yay to spring break! I wish we had one of those!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 04:36:47 PM »

Okay, I'm almost done with the first part!  My only real "Holy Hell!" moment was the guy chewing off his dog's ear in the park... ew!! :(   Beyond that, nothing was too far beyond my realm of expectation.

One thing I like about this book so far is how quickly it jumped into the action.  A lot of other S.K. books I've read are pretty slow in the beginning... he takes a lot of time introducing you to the characters and setting the stage for what's going to happen, which is good for slow-building suspense, but I like how this story started three minutes before the action and drew you into it right off the bat.

Another thought I had was that the story reminds me of the movie "The Happening," except in this book, everyone goes crazy and starts killing other people, instead of themselves.  The Happening was a terrible movie, though, so hopefully Cell will turn out to be better LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 05:12:02 PM »

The dog part by far was the most disturbing part for me too! I am so afriad for the cat that's coming up. I'm not sure what SK has against animals. lol

It reminded me of the Happening as well, at least from what I had heard about it. It also reminds me of The Mist by him. I agree about the action, it was nice getting right into it.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 07:18:25 PM »

lol the dog thing took me by surprise. Nasty. But I'm still only 30 pages in. I haven't had any time to read. grr.... hopefully 'll get a little time today.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 04:44:01 PM »

Time to start reading the next section of the book. So, let's read up to the Gaiten Academy (Around page 153 I believe?) By next week.

Here's a few more things to ponder while reading...

Why do you think SK always adds a child into his books as a lead. Do you feel the girl and jeez! I can't remember her name again! lol Whoever she is...do you feel like she adds an important element to the story or do you think she's kind of unnecessary?

What was your take on the woman on the bridge and do you think youth has a significant role to play in what's happening?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 05:11:42 PM »

The girl is Alice.  So far I haven't decided yet, but I do think she makes a nice contrast to the two older guys.  One thing I am liking about this book so far is that it's been following the same characters the whole time.  Before this and My Sister's Keeper, I was reading The Stand, which has about a bazillion different characters, it seems, and in the beginning, it was hard to keep them all straight.  I'm sure they'll all turn out to be important to the story, but I like that so far, this whole story has been from Clay's perspective.  Makes it much simpler LOL.

As for the woman on the bridge, are you talking about the old lady with the Bible?  I don't know if she'll be important, but you gotta have the Bible-spouting holy-roller thinking it's the end of the world in there LOL.  There was a good point made about the lack of young people around when they were on the bridge... what better way to target the future of America than send something through the cell phones!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:13:34 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 06:49:30 PM »

Alice, That's it! I'm not sure why i'm having such a hard time remembering that name lol

I really couldn't think of any good questions for this chapter.

I doubt that old lady plays an important role in the story, but she reminded me of the old lady in The Mist. I'm seeing a lot of similarities between the two stories.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 02:34:09 AM »

Ok, how far is everyone? I'm at the "Fading Roses, this garden's over" part. like page 200...  I feel like I have so much rattling around in my brain right now that I don't think I can even get it out right now. I'll have to sleep (if I can lol) on it and then come back tomorrow. It's just that not only have I never read any Stephen King before, but I've never read any "creepy" books in general. I'm so the light romance kind of girl. But I ALWAYS get very sucked into the books I read, like I'm in the adventure right along with the characters. I'm one of those people who will cry all the time as I read, or get mad and actually yell out loud at the people and whatnot. Well can I just tell you that little miss severe anxiety disorder here had to stop reading because I don't think I physically could continue right now? I swear my heart is just pounding and I'm so anxious and creeped out and just stressed and scared for these people all at once. It's insane.

I am absolutely LOVING this book, and I don't know what I expected from Stephen King. I mean I expected the gore, and in all honesty that' snot what's getting to me. But I didn't expect the crazy intensity. From like what, page three or something, this book has just been one giant adrenaline rush for survival and there has just been like next to zero down time. Always on the edge. I guess I didn't expect that. Even when he's writing the little character moments and whatever, always there's this insane pull. I think I feel the need for them to escape worse than they do. LOL.   Ok, wow you know what it's late, I just got caught up in the book and now I need sleep but I'm seriously too anxious. I'm all creeped out lol and if I go to sleep now I'm sure I'll have nightmares. But if I keep reading, I'll throw myself into a panic attack.

Insane I tell you. I'm insane right now.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 09:21:19 AM »

You're right; this one is pretty intense!  Not all of his books are like this.  Like I said earlier, most of the ones I've read, particularly the older ones, start off a lot slower... but even in those, you can see bad things transpiring before the characters know it, so they're still pretty nerve-wracking.

I'm enjoying it too.  I'm not as far as Kelly; I'm on the morning after the first night in Tom's house... creepy!!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 02:08:38 PM »

I agree with you both about the intensity. I think out of all his books, this one has the most intense from the start. I do have to say it's probably not one of my favorites so far but it is hard to put down.

I'm more than  halfway through the Gaiten Academy part. When they are in the stadium lol eww!

This man has a genius mind and he did make me wonder breifly if I would have been on my cellphone at that time on that day.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 02:33:02 PM »

It's not one of my favorites so far either, but we'll see.  I am liking it, and I like that it's not slow-paced; it's easier to get into that way.

I realized most of the SK books I've read are his old ones... besides Cell, I think the most "modern" book of his I've read is Misery, and that was written in the early 90s.  So it's interesting to read his his more recent writing.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 02:59:22 PM »

I have read all his books to date except for maybe three of them. I tend to like his dramas with a little bit of suspense minus his sheer horror fics. I think my problem with this one is I feel like he's just kind of plagiarizing himself left and right because he's written so many end of the world type stories, they are kind of melding together in this one.

I think the intensity of it is making me enjoy it. If it was a slower paces story, I probably wouldn't be so involved in it. I am trying to slow down though lol I tend to read too fast. That's why i'm reading two books at once.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 03:26:16 PM »

LOL that makes sense.  Like I said, I was reading The Stand before this, and I didn't get that far into it, but I can see the similarities, with the whole end of the world type scenario... everyone else either sick or zombie LOL.  I'm sure, with as many books as he's written, it's hard to come up with completely original ideas anymore.  The kind of stuff he writes takes a lot of creativity.
~Julie

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6