Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Poll

Which Stephen King book should we discuss?

Salem's Lot
- 0 (0%)
Salem's Lot
- 0 (0%)
Cell
- 6 (75%)
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
- 1 (12.5%)
The Eyes of the Dragon
- 0 (0%)
The Stand
- 1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The Cell discussion thread  (Read 5802 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The Cell discussion thread
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2009, 05:15:33 PM »

I am almost done. I would have finished today because I FINALLY had a free period but we had a freaking fire alarm during my free period and spent most of it outside! UGH!! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2009, 07:26:30 PM »

aww, that's a bummer. Is anyone else done yet?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2009, 09:59:02 PM »

I hate how those "free periods" never end up being free.  Even on my art day, where I get an hour of plan time instead of the usual half hour, I never manage to get as much as I thought I would get done.  It goes by so fast, and someone else always comes up.  Grr.

Oops, getting us off topic.  So... Cell.  Um, Raggedy Man is creepy?  I'm at that point where I really just wanna finish the thing and figure out where this is all going before I wrap up my thoughts.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »

Yup Raggedy Man is uber creepy and I finished!! :) Woot!

It was a very typical Stephen King book including the ending lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2009, 03:13:51 PM »

Thoughts on the Cell?

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2009, 03:39:19 PM »

***Spoliers!***

I really enjoyed it and it made me sure that I'll check out more SK books in the future. I will say this though, It lost a lot of it's steam for me after they left gatian academy. It was so incredible scary and intense for so long, and then suddenly, once the raggedy man put the "don't touch" order out on them it's like all that tension he'd created was suddenly gone. It was still intriguing, but it just felt different after that somehow.

Also, I was uber sad when they killed Alice. But did anyone else notice the little notes left randomly throughout the book? Like how it was all, "This is the part where Alice dies"   or  "The boy is not one, but he will be" or whatever it said. I couldn't understand why he did that. I didn't like it. I would have much preferred to not be given those clues ahead of time. I thought it was weird.

But I did like the end. It was a little "yeah right"-ish to me that he found his boy but I'm glad he left it open ended. And I'm glad no one else died in the end. Plus that last plan was pretty cool.   Over all I really enjoyed this book. I'd love to read one of his others where he gets really in depth.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2009, 05:47:10 PM »

That's another classic SK move, Kelly. He loves to foreshadow. I personally enjoy that a lot because it always gives me the chills lol

I think one of the reasons I never enjoy SK's movies is because he leaves so much to the reader that when the movies come out they ruin all of that up in the air-ness for me.

*spoiler alert!*

Of course I enjoyed Alice dying although it felt like such a random killing off. lol almost like he didn't feel like writing about her anymore so he killed her. I guess that was the main idea of the story though, how random it was and how at any time any one of them could have been killed.

I wasn't too pleased with the whole Raggedy Man thing either, once again I felt like maybe he was just rushing to get to his conclusion or something. It was creepy though. I usually don't have a hard time visualizing SK stories but for some reason I had to go back and re-read the whole why they ended up going to find Clay part. That was confusing to me, the way he described what was happening.

I was kind of disappointed that he did find his son in the end. It seemed almost too happy for an apocalyptic SK story, but at least he wasn't normal. I know that sounded sick! lol but compared to how he ended The Mist, The Stand, and the Dark Tower, this one was too happy for me.

I did enjoy it overall. Like I said, not the best but not the worst by far.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »

I finally finished Cell!

I tend to agree with both of you, Kelly and Mare.  I did enjoy the book, although it definitely wasn't my favorite.  It started off strong, and it kept me intrigued for awhile because it seemed so suspenseful; I just keep reading waiting for something really scary to happen.  While the whole Gaiten Academy part was really creepy and suspenseful in that way, it seemed to drag on forever for me, and after that, I agree with Kelly, the story seemed to lose a lot of its tension.  The Raggedy Man was creepy at first, but after awhile, when he never actually did anything to them, he lost his effect too.

I did enjoy the climax with Ray's whole plan going into effect; that was pretty genius, using the cell phones.  And I was glad they didn't kill poor little Jordan, after what happened to Alice and the Head before her and then Ray!

I kind of did want Clay to find his son because, yeah, I'll admit it, I like happy endings, but at the same time, I kind of didn't because it did seem a little unrealistic.  But then, it's a story, and in stories, why waste all that narrative on his son if he was never going to see him again?  I did like that Johnny ended up being half-a-phoner, or whatever you want to call him, cause that made it less of an unrealisticall y happy ending.  As for the ending itself... I loved it and hated it LOL.  I hated it because I wanted to find out if using the Pulse again would work!  And I loved it because SK is brilliant for leaving it like that and making us all wonder and/or just decide for ourselves.  Ahh!!

All in all, it was a decent book, definitely not his best that I've read, but worth the read.  Also, like I said before, it was interesting for me to read something current by SK... I've mostly only read his old stuff, which is classic and brilliant, but at times dated.  It was cool to read something modern and sci-fi from him.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]