Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Poll

Chances Are you've seen the movie, but have you read the book?

The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- 2 (18.2%)
Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding
- 3 (27.3%)
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
- 1 (9.1%)
The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
- 0 (0%)
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
- 0 (0%)
The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
- 1 (9.1%)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: May Book Poll  (Read 5619 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
May Book Poll
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »

Ok, so I didn't go with a specific author, instead I went with a theme.

Chances are you've seen the movie, but have you ever read the book? This month's theme is Books that have turned into popular movies. I tried to get a variety of genres so there there would be something for everyone, so here goes...

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place.

In the course of this dazzling adventure, she’ll meet Vizzini – the criminal philosopher who’ll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik – the gentle giant; Inigo – the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen – the evil mastermind behind it all.

Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup’s one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

Bridget Jones’ Diary by Helen Fielding

Written in the form of a personal diary, the novel chronicles a year in the life of Bridget Jones, a thirty-something single workingwoman living in London. She writes (often humorously) about her career, self-image, vices, family, friends, and romantic relationships.

The main focus of plot is Bridget's love life. At the beginning of the year she is a single woman, or "Singleton," who is surrounded by "Smug Married" couples, and worries about dying alone. However, during the course of the year she becomes involved in two romantic relationships. The first is with her charming and handsome boss Daniel Cleaver, who eventually cheats on Bridget with a younger, more attractive woman. Bridget's second relationship is, surprisingly (at least to Bridget), with the stuffy human-rights barrister Mark Darcy. These two men are connected by more than their relationships with Bridget, as Fielding reveals near the end of the novel.

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Creatures once extinct now roam Jurassic Park, soon-to-be opened as a theme park. Until something goes wrong...and science proves a dangerous toy....

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum

The protagonist is found floating in the Mediterranean Sea with several bullet wounds, including a head wound which results in amnesia. The doctor treating him finds a message surgically embedded in his hip that contains details of a Swiss bank account, presumably held anonymously.

In Zürich, Switzerland, the protagonist learns that his name is Jason Bourne. While attempting to retrace his previous visit to the city he attracts the attention of several people who either fear him, warn him of danger, or try to kill him — but they all unhelpfully assume that he already knows why. He begins to suspect, on the basis of circumstantial evidence, that he may have been a professional assassin. In Zürich he meets a woman named Marie St Jacques and, on the spur of the moment, uses her as a disguise and shield to escape an attempt on his life in a crowded convention hotel.

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Patrick Bateman, the son of a wealthy Wall Street financier, is pursuing his own lucrative career with his father's firm. Bateman is the prototypical yuppie, obsessed with success, fashion, and style. He is also a serial killer who murders, rapes, and mutilates both strangers and acquaintances without provocation or reason. Donald Kimble, a police detective, questions Bateman about the disappearance of Paul Allen, whom Patrick murdered several days earlier. As Kimble stays on Bateman's trail, Bateman's mask of studied, distant cool begins to fall apart.**This one’s full of major violence and sexual content, just to warn you.

The Bridges Of Madison County by Robert James Waller

The story begins as globetrotting National Geographic photographer Robert Kincaid journeys to Madison County in 1965 to film its lovely covered bridges. Upon his arrival, he stops by an old farmhouse to ask directions. There he encounters housewife, Francesca Johnson, whose spouse and two children are out of town. Thus begins their four-day affair, a liaison that fundamentally changes them both.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by JK Rowling

Harry Potter is the most miserable, lonely boy you can imagine. He’s shunned by his relatives, the Dursley’s, that have raised him since he was an infant. He’s forced to live in the cupboard under the stairs, forced to wear his cousin Dudley’s hand-me-down clothes, and forced to go to his neighbor’s house when the rest of the family is doing something fun. Yes, he’s just about as miserable as you can get.

Harry’s world gets turned upside down on his 11th birthday, however, when a giant, Hagrid, informs Harry that he’s really a wizard, and will soon be attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry also learns that, in the wizarding world, he’s a hero.

If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: May Book Poll
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:52:28 PM »

LOL before I read your explaination I was like whoa she's all over the place with these.

Good idea for a theme Kelly. :)

I have read all of those except for...can you guess? I bet you can! This one will be a tough one to decide on. I heart almost al those books although American Pyscho didn't do much for me. I didn't like the movie either lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:53:25 PM »

Um Bridget Jones?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »

or are you the other person that has never read Harry Potter? I thought I wasn't the only one... I actually haven't read any of these. But I'd like to read them...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »

Really? lol No, I oved Bridget Jones! That was hilarious!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:56:08 PM »

I know which one I'd like to read, but I'll wait to see what most people seem interested in.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:56:38 PM »

The Bridges of Madison County. I'm yawning just typing it out lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »

Good choices!  I'm torn between Jurassic Park and The Princess Bride.  Harry Potter, of course, is brilliant... if we don't read it in May, I have a feeling it will be up again as a choice for my month!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »

Aww, yay Mare! We have something else in common. I have no desire to read Bridges of Madison County either.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »

I have no desire for Bridges of Madison County...I've always thought of it as something my grandmother would like.  I voted for Bridget Jones...just because I have never read it and I adore the movies...

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:11:47 PM »

I most want to read The Princess Bride, but I'd also really love to read Jurassic Park and The Bourne Identity. And Bridget Jonees! I can't make up my mind. I guess I'll just vote Princess Bride.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:15:23 PM »

I know I've said a million times I never could get into HP, but maybe this could force me to try it a second time and see what the big deal is lol. So I voted for that.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »

I've never read the Princess Bride either but I do love that movie too.  And with HP, totally not my thing...my sister is addicted but I can't get into to that kind of stuff, same deal with Twilight...

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 10:43:19 PM »

My sister got me into HP, and I got her into Twilight.  I think HP is way better than Twilight, but now she's saying she thinks Twilight is even more addicting than HP.  Go figure LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 08:20:59 PM »

LOL we're never going to have a winner at this rate. Maybe I shouldn't have tried so hard to pick something for everyone...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6