Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Poll

Chances Are you've seen the movie, but have you read the book?

The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- 2 (18.2%)
Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding
- 3 (27.3%)
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
- 1 (9.1%)
The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
- 0 (0%)
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
- 0 (0%)
The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
- 1 (9.1%)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: May Book Poll  (Read 5620 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: May Book Poll
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 08:44:52 PM »

I haven't voted yet. I'm going back and forth between Jurassiac Park and Bridget Jones. BJD is one of the only books I have read that I literally LOL'd the whole time! And JP was ust a great, intense read.

Maybe from now on instead of a poll we should just say, we're going to discuss this book... lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 11:39:07 PM »

Or just maybe limit the number of choices to like 3 or something.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 07:14:44 AM »

I love Bridget Jones Diary and Harry Potter :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »

How long do we have to vote?  I still haven't decided yet... I'm kinda waiting to see how the voting goes in case I need to break a tie LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 06:30:15 PM »

LOL i'm doing the same thing.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 09:03:27 PM »

lol I don't know. I guess for like a week or so because then we can use the last week to get the book.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »

I have actually read a lot of those books!

The Princess Bride is great, because it's written in a very unique way.  I voted for Harry Potter (which I think I may have created a tie.  Oops.) because it's just such a fun series to read.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 09:12:14 PM »

ok, if you haven't voted yet, do it this weekend! Lets say Sunday is the last day so that monday we can all go find our book.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 10:25:08 PM »

I voted for Bridget Jones, but if Harry wins i'll live mostly because I know where the book is. I have to actually search my house for Bridget. lol

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 09:37:26 AM »

Ok, so Harry Potter wins by one. I guess it's finally time for me to check out this book...

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 09:55:31 AM »

I just can't do Harry Potter, just like I can't do Twilight!  Maybe next month :)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 10:02:31 AM »

I may feel the same way, but I'm going to read it anyway cause I picked it to host and all. I figure if Josh could get so into them (granted he only likes the later ones where they are all older, but still) If even my husband can get into them I should at least read one of them. Hopefully it will surprise me. But even if I don't ever fall in love with it, lots of people have read it so we will get some discussion going in here. (especially if I play devil's advocate and start a debate)

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 10:54:21 AM »

I'll have to admit that I haven't actually read all of Sorcerer's Stone. I've read (and loved) all of the others in the series but for some reason that one I had a lot of trouble getting interested in. Enough so that I almost didn't read any of the following books until enough people I usually agree with kept telling me that I'd love the series. I'm really curious to find out if when I go back and read SS I still have trouble getting into it or if now that I know the characters, etc, it'll be a much better read.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 04:24:27 PM »

The later books in the series are definitely better because that's where the story gets deeper and scarier and more adult.  The first two are definitely more kid-friendly.  Truthfully, I think they're all wonderful books, but typically if I'm going to read through the entire series, I tend to cheat and jump right to the third book and read them in order from there.  Which is funny because the first two are so short compared to the rest, they're quick, easy reads! 

Sorcerer's Stone is a great book, though, especially if you're new to the series.  I first read it in high school, and although I was very cynical and skeptical and wasn't prepared to like it, I got totally hooked!  What you have to remember about it, I guess, is that it's basically an introduction to the whole series.  You learn the premise of Harry's story, you get to know some of the main characters and the setting of Hogwarts, and there's a little mystery plot, but the depth, the meat of the series, really doesn't come in until, in my opinion, the third book.  Each book has its own storyline, of course, and they're all good and all interesting, but when you think in terms of the overall story arc of the whole series, it makes sense that Books 1 and 2 would be introduction, Books 3 and 4 rising action... Book 4 is kind of climactic in itself because it is a turning point in the series, but then Books 5 and 6 are more rising action, and Book 7 is where you get the ultimate climax and resolution of the series.  So personally, I think you can't judge the series until you've read at least the first three or four books, and you definitely can't judge based on the movies because although they're good, they pale in comparison to the books.  And now I'll jump down from my soapbox of defending Harry Potter LOL.

I'm gonna enjoy discussing Sorcerer's Stone, although I can already tell it's gonna be hard to stick just to talking about that one, cause there's soooo much more to discuss!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »

I may feel the same way, but I'm going to read it anyway cause I picked it to host and all. I figure if Josh could get so into them (granted he only likes the later ones where they are all older, but still) If even my husband can get into them I should at least read one of them. Hopefully it will surprise me. But even if I don't ever fall in love with it, lots of people have read it so we will get some discussion going in here. (especially if I play devil's advocate and start a debate)

I know you're more of a romance fan than fantasy, but being a lover of young adult books, I think you'll like it.  And if you stick with the series, there is some romance later on, as they get older. ;)
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6