Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Poll

Chances Are you've seen the movie, but have you read the book?

The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- 2 (18.2%)
Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding
- 3 (27.3%)
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
- 1 (9.1%)
The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
- 0 (0%)
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
- 0 (0%)
The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
- 1 (9.1%)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: May Book Poll  (Read 5618 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: May Book Poll
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 04:28:03 PM »

I just can't do Harry Potter, just like I can't do Twilight!  Maybe next month :)

Aw, have you tried it?  (Either??)  Don't knock it till you try it.  I was skeptical about both, and ended up loving both (Harry Potter even more so than Twilight)!  And I'm not a fantasy girl AT ALL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 05:18:13 PM »

The first one is the only one I have read. I do want to eventually read the rest but i'm going backwards and want to see all the movies first. lol normally i'd be the other way around but since I started watcing the movies before I read the books I don't want to get all confused because I know theer are more characters and layers to the books than the movies.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2009, 06:30:19 PM »

It shouldn't really be confusing.  The movies are faithful to the basic plot of each book, but you're right; the books are a lot more involved than the movies can afford to be.  If not before, you should definitely go back and read all the books after the movies are done; if you like the movies, you'll be blown away by the books!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2009, 06:45:41 PM »

That's what I plan on doing.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2009, 07:22:53 PM »

Aw, have you tried it?  (Either??)  Don't knock it till you try it.  I was skeptical about both, and ended up loving both (Harry Potter even more so than Twilight)!  And I'm not a fantasy girl AT ALL.

I am not a fantasy girl even a little...which is why I can't even entertain the thought.  My sister and I are both avid readers and she adores both (HP more) but I just can't force myself to break down and start.  I saw part of one of the HP movies and I HATED it.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 07:23:05 PM »

lol I do love me a good romance, but a book doesn't have to have romance in it for me to like it. I love lots of things. I adore fantasy. Hell, I married a D&D dork, play "dungeon" type board games, and have the Princess Bride memorized. And actually, am a bigger sci-fi nerd than I care to admit. *coughs* Is really excited fort he star trek movie to come out next weekend. *cough* Yes, teen fiction seems to be my favorite (what can I say, I lack a certain maturity) but after that techno-thrillers and good old fashion mysteries tend to be my favorite. I love Agatha Christie, a lot of Michael Crichton and I even have a soft spot for the "Dirk Pitt" novels.

I'm actually not sure what it is about the HP series in general that I lack enthusiasm for. I've seen all the movies, but only like once each and never had desire to read the books. It's strange because they are supernatural teen fiction which is my favorite of all the genres out there, so you'd think I'd have been first in line to read them. I put HP on the list this month thinking that if it got picked it'd finally force me to read them. I'm hoping I have a secret love for Harry Potter that I never knew I had.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 07:26:45 PM »

I am not a fantasy girl even a little...which is why I can't even entertain the thought.  My sister and I are both avid readers and she adores both (HP more) but I just can't force myself to break down and start.  I saw part of one of the HP movies and I HATED it.

Aww... well, if you've never actually tried the books, you should at least give the first one a try.  Like I've said, the books are a lot better than the movies.  I never got into Lord of the Rings, Narnia, anything like that, but Harry Potter totally got me.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 07:29:10 PM »

lol I do love me a good romance, but a book doesn't have to have romance in it for me to like it. I love lots of things. I adore fantasy. Hell, I married a D&D dork, play "dungeon" type board games, and have the Princess Bride memorized. And actually, am a bigger sci-fi nerd than I care to admit. *coughs* Is really excited fort he star trek movie to come out next weekend. *cough* Yes, teen fiction seems to be my favorite (what can I say, I lack a certain maturity) but after that techno-thrillers and good old fashion mysteries tend to be my favorite. I love Agatha Christie, a lot of Michael Crichton and I even have a soft spot for the "Dirk Pitt" novels.

I'm actually not sure what it is about the HP series in general that I lack enthusiasm for. I've seen all the movies, but only like once each and never had desire to read the books. It's strange because they are supernatural teen fiction which is my favorite of all the genres out there, so you'd think I'd have been first in line to read them. I put HP on the list this month thinking that if it got picked it'd finally force me to read them. I'm hoping I have a secret love for Harry Potter that I never knew I had.

I hope so too!  Based on what you said, I'm not sure you why wouldn't like it.  It's very well-written, imaginative, brilliant, and has a little something of everything - fantasy, mystery, adventure, suspense, comedy, drama, romance... it's really got it all!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 07:31:02 PM »

speaking of teen fiction, have you read the Book Thief?  I have been told I MUST read it by many people. lol It's a young adult fic.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2009, 07:32:23 PM »

Julie I love how passionate you are about HP. I always pictured us discussing this book in a you hosted month. lol

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2009, 07:33:18 PM »

Thief? Not heard of it. Who is it by? I'm waiting for a book called "Being Nikki" to come out next month. I'm always down for reading a good teen book, so I'll check it out.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »

Thief? Not heard of it. Who is it by? I'm waiting for a book called "Being Nikki" to come out next month. I'm always down for reading a good teen book, so I'll check it out.

Markus Zusak is the guy who wrote it. He also wrote the Boy in the Striped Pajamas. 

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2009, 08:39:57 PM »

Ok, that one I've heard of.  I'll have to check it out.

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 08:48:18 PM »

Guh blah!  I had surgery last week so I've gotten so behind on everything that's going on.  These stories are all so different it's tough to choose!

I will say I've read the first and second HP's in the past week to review before the movie comes out, so that one's fine.  And I totally agree about the books far surpassing the movies!  I thought they did pretty well with the movies up until the last one (Order of the Pheonix).  They left so much out of that movie, including very vital characters.  They changed parts of the story (characters who did and didn't do things that are crucial in the final two stories!)

I'm not so much looking forward to seeing anymore of the movies except for I feel the need to know exactly how they're going to explain the things that show up later on that were completely left out in the first place.
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »

Can I just say as Oprah and inventor of this book club that I am pulling an LD and banning Twilight! lmao

Kidding...but not really. OMG...sorry I just watched 30 minutes of the movie and all the Twilight hate has just come back in a rush!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6