Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Poll

Chances Are you've seen the movie, but have you read the book?

The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- 2 (18.2%)
Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding
- 3 (27.3%)
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
- 1 (9.1%)
The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
- 0 (0%)
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
- 0 (0%)
The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
- 1 (9.1%)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: May Book Poll  (Read 5621 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: May Book Poll
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »

Wow, so you read the whole thing in one day?  Can I say I told you so yet?  LMAO! ;D
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2009, 12:45:03 AM »

Wow, so you read the whole thing in one day?  Can I say I told you so yet?  LMAO! ;D

No...but you can be happy to know I've been zipping through them. (remember how I told you my problem with books is that I consume them WAY too quickly?) Yeah, I'm already just at book 4. I just started Goblet of Fire, where they arrived at the World Cup Quidditch tournament with the Weasleys + Hermoine.

Dammit I'm gonna have to order book 7 soon :P LOL
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2009, 06:30:06 AM »

LOL if you like them enough to already be at book 4, I think I can say I told you so! ;D
~Julie

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2009, 02:40:33 PM »

No...but you can be happy to know I've been zipping through them. (remember how I told you my problem with books is that I consume them WAY too quickly?) Yeah, I'm already just at book 4. I just started Goblet of Fire, where they arrived at the World Cup Quidditch tournament with the Weasleys + Hermoine.

Dammit I'm gonna have to order book 7 soon :P LOL

You've read 1-3 in like the last 3 days???  Wow!  What's your favorite of the first three?  Like I said, The Prisoner of Azkaban was where I really started appreciating how complex/intricate the storyline was.

Book one is fun because everything is so new.  Its like your right there with Harry- he discovers he's a wizard and is learning about that world at the same time as the reader.  One of my favorite parts of the first book is the descriptions of Diagon Alley- all those shops are so creative.  And although its fantasy and everything's magical, J.K. Rowling makes it so real.

Harry as a wizard has to go to school, there are tests, their fave sport is Quidditch and there are leagues/teams.... Rowling somehow keeps everything very grounded, if that makes sense. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2009, 05:48:02 PM »

I think that's why I love Harry Potter so much compared to the other popular fantasy series I could never really get into.  Yes, it's very much fantasy, but JK Rowling puts so much effort into making it seem realistic, like there really could be this whole wizarding world hidden from Muggles.  At its heart, the series is as much a coming of age story as it is a fantasy saga, and it's so easy to relate to the main characters because they are portrayed as real kids/teenagers who deal with the same feelings and problems that real adolescents do... along with the unique conflicts that come with being wizards and witches LOL.  I like that better than fantasy series that are set in an entirely different world that doesn't connect to our real world at all.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2009, 07:57:42 PM »

Like I said, The Prisoner of Azkaban was where I really started appreciating how complex/intricate the storyline was.

Word.

The Harry Potter series is great, and it's what opened the door for me to start enjoying the supernatural/fantasy genre.  Before I read Harry Potter I never was interested in it, and I have to admit it's the main reason why I was reluctant to start reading it.  I find it's a very easy read and while the first book starts off a bit slow, I think that's important and helps this series be a gateway to fantasy.  It comes off in a  very realistic and plausible way.  I would say the first book holds the readers hand as they enter a completely different world, and we get to experience that at the same time as Harry does, with as much awe and excitement.  Does that make sense?  I get really giddy when it comes to Harry Potter LOL.

Anyhoo, that's why I think it's a bit necessary for the first book to start off a bit slow.  I found that as I was reading it I grew more fond of the characters and more excited to learn what was going to happen to them next. 
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2009, 08:14:53 PM »

That totally makes sense.  I don't mind the beginning of Sorcerer's Stone; it makes Harry into a more dynamic character because we get a great introduction to him BEFORE he finds out he's a wizard, and that's important.  Great point about how it introduces us to the wizarding world at the same time Harry's introduced to it.  It works out really well.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2009, 08:15:14 PM »

By the way, we should take this discussion to the other thread.  Maybe close this one?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2009, 10:17:32 PM »

You've read 1-3 in like the last 3 days???  Wow!  What's your favorite of the first three?  Like I said, The Prisoner of Azkaban was where I really started appreciating how complex/intricate the storyline was.

Book one is fun because everything is so new.  Its like your right there with Harry- he discovers he's a wizard and is learning about that world at the same time as the reader.  One of my favorite parts of the first book is the descriptions of Diagon Alley- all those shops are so creative.  And although its fantasy and everything's magical, J.K. Rowling makes it so real.

Harry as a wizard has to go to school, there are tests, their fave sport is Quidditch and there are leagues/teams.... Rowling somehow keeps everything very grounded, if that makes sense. 

I'm a fast reader when I'm interested in the book. I gobble them up whenever I can scrape up time in those cases.

I'm actually mid-way through 5 now. I love Order of The Phoenix so far, it's the darkest book yet, and it starts really building up. Harry's own issues really come to light. Plus Umbridge is annoying but hilarious LOL. But I like dark fantasy, so so far, this one is my fave.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]