Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Harry Potter Discussion (for those who've read all the books!)  (Read 11761 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Harry Potter Discussion (for those who've read all the books!)
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2010, 09:39:30 PM »

I think Michael Gambon is great in some scenes and way off in others.  I wish they had made him read the books, cause I don't think he quite "gets" it, and there's only so much the director can do to get the perfect performance out of him if he doesn't fully understand Dumbledore's character.  One scene that comes to mind is in GoF when Harry's name comes out of the goblet of fire, and he runs up to him and grabs his shoulders and shakes him and demands to know if he put his name in the cup.  Dumbledore would never act that way, especially to Harry.  But then there are other scenes where he does get the little quirks and humor and wisdom that make Dumbledore so great.  I think he's best in PoA and HBP (which is good, cause he needed to be epic in that one!).  I think Richard Harris was a good Dumbledore too; to me, he had the look and the twinkly blue eyes and all of that.  But I think Michael Gambon portrays him with more strength, which was needed.  Overall, I like them both... I think maybe a blend of the two would be the perfect Dumbledore in my eyes.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »

^ I am glad I'm not the only one who prefers the new Dumbledore.  Richard Harris is an awesome actor and it's sad he died when he did, but I really prefer how Michael Gambon portrays him.

My feelings exactly. He just wasn't... I guess "dark" looking enough to be Dumbledore. Not that Dumbledore is dark, but he's been around the block... He just looked like he was kind of waiting for the house elves to start making toys for the good students of Hogwarts before.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »

I am totally with Julie. The original Dumbledore looked too sweet but he understood the role better. He knew about the special relationship with Harry and acted in the movie as such. While the new one he looks more the role, by having that strength evidently in him... but he understands the role less. GoF bugs me so bad cause Dumbledore is just so out of character when Harry's name is called it's ridiculous. It wasn't until HBP (which he ends up dying in anyway so it was kinda vital) that he seemed to FINALLY get all aspects of the role right. The fierce strength when he fights off the Inferi, and the soft quirks he has commenting about knitting patterns. Like he finally got the attitude right...on the last movie he's "alive" in.

Combine the two and it's a good deal.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2010, 11:20:17 PM »

I think my favorite shot in the whole 6th movie is when he casts the circle of fire around the rock to ward off the Inferi.  It's so epic and really shows his strength, even after he was so weakened from the potion.  And yes, the knitting pattern line too, LOL.  I really like him in that whole movie,  way more than in GoF and OotP.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »

I love the Inferi scene. It's just so epic all around.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2010, 11:58:54 PM »

I am totally with Julie. The original Dumbledore looked too sweet but he understood the role better. He knew about the special relationship with Harry and acted in the movie as such. While the new one he looks more the role, by having that strength evidently in him... but he understands the role less. GoF bugs me so bad cause Dumbledore is just so out of character when Harry's name is called it's ridiculous. It wasn't until HBP (which he ends up dying in anyway so it was kinda vital) that he seemed to FINALLY get all aspects of the role right. The fierce strength when he fights off the Inferi, and the soft quirks he has commenting about knitting patterns. Like he finally got the attitude right...on the last movie he's "alive" in.

Combine the two and it's a good deal.

Part of how he reacted to the name being drawn out of the goblet would be up to the director.  I'm sure it wasn't Gambon's idea to run up the Harry and shake him.  Part of the reason that he probably did not portray him well in that movie is the director changed from PoA to GoF, and then again with OoF and HBP.

I really did not like how the director took the story of Gof at all. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2010, 01:02:42 PM »

I feel like the reaction Dumbledore had in GoF when Harry's name came out was dead on. I mean, he would've been worried and livid that Harry - of ALL the students - would try to undermine his request for 17+ on the entries. He worked so hard to protect Harry (even though we don't know all the protection Dumbledore's been doing until later in the series) and Harry (apparently) disregarded all of the work of EVERYONE for a chance to compete in some "silly game" -- which was not silly, perse, of course, but in comparison to defeating Voldemort it was!! So I didn't find Dumbledore's reaction overacted or out of character. I think Dumbledore was probably overcome with a fit of emotion, which was rare for him yes, but shows just how strong the relationship between he and Harry was.

I agree that battling the Inferi was probably the most epic scene thus far in the movie series. In the books... I'd have to think about my favorite book scene. There's so many excellent ones.

I've got a feeling my all time favorite scene is going to be in DH if they portray Snape's story correctly in the film... I'm really looking forward to that.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »

I think DH will win for most epic scenes.  There's so many to choose from; the whole book is epic!  I'm excited for the walk to the forest... I sob through that chapter every time I read it, and I will be disappointed if the movie doesn't make me cry too LOL.
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2010, 07:33:50 PM »

I think DH will win for most epic scenes.  There's so many to choose from; the whole book is epic!  I'm excited for the walk to the forest... I sob through that chapter every time I read it, and I will be disappointed if the movie doesn't make me cry too LOL.

Ohmigawd yes. When James, Lilly, Sirius etc walk with him? OMG. I bawl. It's awful. I'm really looking forward to how they portray that entire scene, as well as seeing Dumbledore at King's Cross. I hope they don't ruin it trying to be cinematic or avoid a "heaven" scene for some reason...

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2010, 09:41:16 PM »

This is really random, but I just thought of it and it made me laugh. It would've been great if Kevin was still in the group and for his movie preview that the Boys do during the TIU show if he did a spoof of HBP or one of the other HP movies as Snape. Can't you see it? Ohmigawd it's got me rolling so bad imagining it, I had to share the mental image.  :D

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2010, 10:19:30 PM »

^ that would have been priceless and I could totally see him playing Snape LOL I wish Nick had done a HP skit. He would have made a pretty good draco!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2010, 11:21:07 PM »

LMAO any kind of HP sketch would have been awesome!  They should do a video like that sometime.  Or, you know, ANY video that's not just random scenes of them hanging out or standing around in front of pretty scenery...
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2010, 07:19:16 PM »

LMAO any kind of HP sketch would have been awesome!  They should do a video like that sometime.  Or, you know, ANY video that's not just random scenes of them hanging out or standing around in front of pretty scenery...

:D But .. but .. they NEVER do those type videos!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2017, 11:19:42 PM »

I'm randomly resurrecting this Harry Potter thread to post a great discussion question I saw posted by Mugglenet on Facebook:

What single character who died or appeared dead in the Harry Potter series would you save if you could, AND why do you think their death was necessary to the story and what we learn through the story?

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2017, 02:27:40 AM »

I would save Sirius.  It's hard to pick a favorite character in a series that has so many great ones, but he's probably mine.  It killed me that he had to die and that Harry was partially to blame for it, although I see why it was important to the story to kill off all of Harry's mentors so that he would be left with the quest to destroy the Horcruxes and defeat Voldemort without their help in the end.  I think the fact that Harry had seen so many people die to protect him throughout the series and was desperate not to let it happen again is what motivated him to go into the forest to face Voldemort, thinking he was walking to his death, in the last book.  And having his parents, Sirius, and Lupin there when he used the Resurrection Stone was the perfect touch.  I just hate that he never thought to use that mirror Sirius gave him until Sirius was already gone!

All that said, the death that got to me the most when I first read the books... was Hedwig.  Poor Hedwig... I can't tell you how much I cried over her death.  I'm not sure saving her would make any difference in the books, but it gets me every time.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]