Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A Thousand Splendid Suns discussion thread  (Read 4304 times)

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
Re: A Thousand Splendid Suns discussion thread
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2009, 10:43:44 PM »

Definitely...w e live in a much better place and time, that is for sure!

Part of me feels like where Mariam was concerned, she had such low self esteem she could have ended up in the same situation...sh e obviously had Daddy issues, and in some ways, Rasheed was a father figure...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2009, 10:47:24 PM »

True. I really wish her relationship with hr father had been resolved. I was sad that they never had a confrontation on the book.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Jellicle

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2009, 04:50:17 AM »

So I finished the book last night.. literally read 200 pages till 3 am in the morning!! Very very poweful book, definitely. It's so rare that you actually become a part of the book and actually feel like you are witnessing the story with your own eyes, not only reading it, and this book did it for me.

The harsh thing about reading this book is, deep down, you KNOW that it's true. You know that there are women in Afghanistan going through the same shit still, every day.. Khaled Hosseini did a wonderful job reflecting his culture, what people go through with Taliban, without exaggerating anything. And it's definitely heat breaking when you think how women obey their faith, not like they have a choice, but still.. I loved how he reflected the first time Taliban came into the story, everyone's happy, thinking the war is over, only to deal with something much worse. Quite like how Iran was in the 70s..

My favorite character was Laila, mostly because she didn't lose the warrior in her and despite everything that happened, she held her head up high and rebelled against everything and didn't settle down for her so-called destiny. Miriam on the other hand, I guess she saw Rasheed as her atonement, for leaving her mom to see her dad, her dad not accepting to see her and her mom killing herself at the end of all these. That's why she was more submissive than Laila was, because Laila's family was taken from her because of the war and she basically HAD to marry Rasheed to save the only thing left for her from Tarik.

The way Miriam and Laila's relationship evolved in time and teamed up against Rasheed was told beautifully. I loved how Miriam was seeing her as a threat in the beginning, only to replace that feeling with motherhood after they confided in each other.. It was very emotional how she referred herself as Laila's mother and how she sacrificed everything she had to save her from the awful end.

So I'm kinda rambling right now but I loved this book, basically I didn't want it to end.. I'm still under its spell. It definitely is in my favorite book list from now on, LOL.
It's a weird world don't you know it?
It's a weird world and it won't slow down
It's a weird world no matter how you roll it

http://unmistakableinaweirdworld.blogspot.com www.facebook.c om/gosdie
www.twitter.co m/jellicle1904

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »

I agree with everything you said. And I want this to turn into a movie. This is the kind of novwl that stuck with me long after I was done reading it. Thew characters are so strong you just can't help but think about them from time to time and wonder what's going on in their lives.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 08:30:33 PM »

Aw it sucks that I missed out on the discussion. I read this book months ago and loved it. I agree with you ladies this book was amazing and very emotional. I felt so bad for Miriam and Leila...and loved how they ended up caring for each other, at least Miriam got to fill that void. Great book. Do you guys know of any other books like this?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »

I would highly recommend by Book Theif. It reminded me a bit if this but the writing is stellar in both circumstances. I think the author's first name is Markus by I know his last name is Zusak.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 05:46:17 PM »

Maybe we should read it so we can discuss on here?  Seeing the thread for My Sister's Keeper and A Thousand Splendid Suns pop back up makes me want to do another!  I haven't been reading lately and I would like to be reading again...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 08:59:07 PM »

I would love for us to discuss the Book Thief. I tried awhile ago but no one wanted to. It's really one of the best books i've ever read and it's a young adult book as well. I am usually not a fan of those.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 10:05:29 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and put it on hold at the library...I'm in!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2009, 06:53:50 PM »

good! You won't be disappointed. Everyone I know who has read it, has loved it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]