Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A Thousand Splendid Suns discussion thread  (Read 4324 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
A Thousand Splendid Suns discussion thread
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:41:41 PM »

OKay guys, it's time to go get this book. how about we start talking about it next Monday.

It's a great book, one of the best i've read in a long time. :)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
Re: A Thousand Splendid Suns discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:48:38 PM »

Who is the author? 

I've started 3 LAME books lately, I am considering chucking all of them and starting fresh, seems like a good time for me to join in!  Plus, I have been a fan of all of your recommendation s so far, Mare!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:08:41 PM »

oops, sorry about that. I had mentioned it in the Happy Potter thread.

His name is Khaled Hosseini and this is a link to a summary about the book. He also wrote the Kite Runner, but in my opinion this one was way better.

http://www.khaledhosseini.com/hosseini-books-splendidsuns.html

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:41:46 AM »

My sister gave me Kite Runner to read a while back and it has just been sitting on my bookshelf, collecting dust!  I am going to give Splendid Suns a shot, but I will warn you, its not the usual type of thing I read...so we will see how this goes :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:45:51 AM »

^ Same for me. In fact, I wasn't ever planning on reading it at all. I'm so glad I did though because the guy is an incredible writer. I can't believe how quickly I got through it. lol

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »

Hopefully I will feel the same way...I reserved it at the library and will pick it up this afternoon.  I also have a couple of other books one of my coworkers recommended that I am getting too.

Have you read any Janet Evanovich?  I love the Stephanie Plum novels and a new one comes out at the end of the month.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:53:57 PM »

I have never read anything by her but have always wanted to try. I'm reading The Book Theif right now which is AMAZING! and then I have another Jody Picoult book to get through.  Maybe i'll try her next.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 01:31:26 PM »

Beware...her stuff is addictive!  I have read a couple of her little shorter novels she wrote too.  The Stephanie Plum novels are especially addictive...I think I read all 14 of them in less than 2 months?  I was averaging a book every day or 2.  The main character, Stephanie, is kind of like an anywoman who gets in these crazy situations...t o give you an idea of what I mean, she falls into being a bounty hunter after failing as a lingerie buyer for the equivelent of Sears.  So the novels are about her "adventures" as a bounty hunter who doesn't know what she is doing.  She is very quirky and Janet Evanovich is very creative and every novel has a few mainstay characters that appear in each book, but then each one introducing some new ones that are equally as unique. She is great at creating colorful characters.  I think you will really like those books...they are some of my favorites!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 01:39:21 PM »

Thanks Darby, i'll try the Stephanie Plum series by her then. :)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »

Hopefully I will feel the same way...I reserved it at the library and will pick it up this afternoon.  I also have a couple of other books one of my coworkers recommended that I am getting too.

Have you read any Janet Evanovich?  I love the Stephanie Plum novels and a new one comes out at the end of the month.

I love what I've read of the Stephanie Plum series. Damn, now I feel so behind. I just bought books number 1-5 and I'm barely on number 3. I love it though. The only reason I got addicted is because I'm in a book club, and they sent me book #14 on accident, so I read it and kept it. lol!!

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 02:36:59 PM »

OKay guys, it's time to go get this book. how about we start talking about it next Monday.

It's a great book, one of the best i've read in a long time. :)

As soon as I saw that title, I was like, I've read that before. Started going crazy looking through my bookshelf and yes I have it and read it. Although at times I found myself lost with this book, I really enjoyed it. So I'm excited I finally have a book you guys are reading.  :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 04:57:14 PM »

Excellent. I really hope more people try this one. It's a great book. I'd hate for people to lose out on it.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »

My copy is ready...pickin g it up tomorrow.  Although I must tell you, I have stumbled upon a new series by Lisa Kleypas that is HIGHLY addictive so it might be tough to tear me away!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 08:29:57 PM »

Aww, Is anyone going to read this?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 08:46:41 PM »

Sorry, taking a break this month to hopefully finish reading The Stand.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: [1] 2 3 4