Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Poll

What would you like to read in July?

'Salem's Lot
- 0 (0%)
Kissed by an Angel
- 3 (42.9%)
The Guardian
- 1 (14.3%)
A Lantern in Her Hand
- 0 (0%)
The Host
- 1 (14.3%)
Misery
- 0 (0%)
New Moon
- 2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: July Book Poll  (Read 3555 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
July Book Poll
« on: June 18, 2009, 06:10:12 PM »

Okay everyone, get out your coolers, your travel games, and your road maps (or MapQuest directions)!  In honor of summer and the Fourth of July, our book club theme for July will be the great American road trip!

To get you in the spirit, enjoy this classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33rVViCxOHA

The book options I've chosen for this month aren't really road trip stories at all.  The only thing they all have in common is that they're set in the United States.  What I did was choose one book that's set in each region of the country, hence the road trip theme.  (Plus, it was the only way I could think of to group favorite books I wanted to put on the list, so go with it LOL.)

So here are your options...

New England region: 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Synopsis:  Author Ben Mears returns to ‘Salem's Lot to write a book about a house that has haunted him since childhood only to find his isolated hometown infested with vampires. While the vampires claim more victims, Mears convinces a small group of believers to combat the undead.

One of the scariest of SK's books that I've read, but also one of the best!  If you didn't like the romantic, "vegetarian" vampires in Twilight, this should be more up your speed!!

Mid-Atlantic region:  Kissed By an Angel by Elizabeth Chandler
Synopsis:  In a romantic and suspenseful collection of the New York Times bestselling trilogy, love's unbreakable bonds are put to the test.  When her boyfriend, Tristan, died, Ivy thought she'd lost everything, even her faith in angels. But now she's discovered that he's her guardian angel -- his presence so strong that she can feel the touch of his hand, the beat of his heart. Ivy needs Tristan now more than ever because he knows she's in terrible danger. Only Ivy's guardian angel can save her now that his killer is after her.  But if Tristan rescues Ivy, his mission on earth will be finished, and he must leave her behind forever. Will saving Ivy mean losing her just when he's finally reached her again?

One of my all-time favorite books!!  I know the description sounds cheesy, but it's really a great romance suspense/mystery with a supernatural twist.  One thing about it, it's actually a trilogy of three short novels, but usually comes together in one book, so if we choose this one, make sure you get the book with the full trilogy - you'll be missing out otherwise!  I would love to do this book because I don't know many people who have read it... meanwhile, I've been in love with it since 8th grade; it's one I could read over and over again (and have, though not in awhile).

Southeast region:  The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks
Synopsis:  The #1 New York Times bestselling author of Nights in Rodanthe explores a darker realm of the heart in an explosive and emotional tale of love and obsession. At 29, Julie Barenson is too young to give up on love. Four years after her husband's tragic death, she is finally ready to risk giving her heart to someone again. But to whom? Should it be Richard Franklin, who is handsome and sophisticated and treats her like a queen, or Mike Harris, who is Julie's best friend in the world, though not as debonair? Now, with a decision that should bring her more happiness than she's had in years, Julie's life is about to become a living nightmare, as one man's jealousy spins into a deadly obsession.

My favorite Nicholas Sparks book.  It's the only one I've read of his that actually has a good suspense subplot to keep it interesting, so it's not just the same basic story all his other books tend to share LOL.

Midwest region:  A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich
After marrying Will Deal and moving to Nebraska, Abbie endures the difficulties of frontier life and raises her children to pursue the ambitions that were once her own.

Not my first choice, but this is a very good book if you like historical fiction, pioneer romance, or stories that take place over generations in a family.  I'm not typically a fan of the pioneer romance books, but this one is a very poignant story about more than just the romantic kind of love.  One added bonus?  It's an old book, so apparently it's now public domain... I found a free e-book version of it online!  So if we choose it, you don't necessarily need to buy it if you're content reading online.  http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks05/0500521h.html

Southwest region:  The Host by Stephenie Meyer
In this tantalizing SF thriller, planet-hopping parasites are inserting their silvery centipede selves into human brains, curing cancer, eliminating war and turning Earth into paradise. But some people want Earth back, warts and all, especially Melanie Stryder, who refuses to surrender, even after being captured in Chicago and becoming a host for a "soul" called Wanderer. The straightforwar d narrative... shines with romantic intrigue.

This is the only one on the list I haven't read, but I've heard from a lot of people that it's better than Twilight, so I thought I'd throw it out for consideration again.

Mountain region:  Misery by Stephen King
Novelist Paul Sheldon has plans to make the difficult transition from writing historical romances featuring heroine Misery Chastain to publishing literary fiction. Annie Wilkes, Sheldon's number one fan, rescues the author from the scene of a car accident. The former nurse takes care of him in her remote house, but becomes irate when she discovers that the author has killed Misery off in his latest book. Annie keeps Sheldon prisoner while forcing him to write a book that brings Misery back to life.

Another of my favorite SK books.  It takes a simple concept (most of the story is set in one room) and turns it into an incredibly tense and disturbing story!  Annie Wilkes is one of the most delightfully twisted characters ever... love it!!

Pacific Northwest region:  New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
For Bella Swan, there is one thing more important than life itself: Edward Cullen. But being in love with a vampire is even more dangerous than Bella could ever have imagined. Edward has already rescued Bella from the clutches of one evil vampire, but now, as their daring relationship threatens all that is near and dear to them, they realize their troubles may be just beginning...

Not my favorite of the Twilight saga, but with the movie coming out later this year, I know I want to re-read New Moon, so I thought I'd put it up for consideration in case others do too.

I tried to put a variety of genres up there, so hopefully you'll find something that sounds worth reading!  I'll give you a few days to vote and leave about a week to get the book we decide on.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 06:13:44 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: July Book Poll
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 06:49:59 PM »

The Kissed by an Angel one sounds like it could be something i'd like? I might vote for that one.

I have never read Nicholas Sparks because the movies based on his books scare me lol

I have read both of those SK books before but we did just read SK two months ago.

I think it's safe to say i'd rather poke my eyes out with a spork then read anything else by Stephanie Meyer and I think I banned Twilight books from my Oprah club. lol

I'll have to think about it...most likely i'll vote for the first one.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:16:33 PM »

Well poop.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 08:29:16 PM »

LOL... well poop what?  Don't like the choices, or don't like Twilight books being banned?

It's my month to be Oprah, so I say New Moon will be fine if that's what gets chosen.  8-)  (I doubt it will though; too many anti-Twilight people here LOL.)
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 08:35:11 PM »

The Kissed by an Angel one sounds like it could be something i'd like? I might vote for that one.

I have never read Nicholas Sparks because the movies based on his books scare me lol

I have read both of those SK books before but we did just read SK two months ago.

I think it's safe to say i'd rather poke my eyes out with a spork then read anything else by Stephanie Meyer and I think I banned Twilight books from my Oprah club. lol

I'll have to think about it...most likely i'll vote for the first one.

I know we just did Stephen King, but I couldn't help it; I love his books. :)  I think my top two picks would be Kissed By an Angel or The Guardian though, because I just re-read both those SK books last year.

I am SHOCKED that you said Kissed By an Angel sounds like something you might like, because that was the one (besides New Moon... and, okay, The Guardian LOL) that I thought would scare you off once you read the premise.  Like I said, it sounds cheesy.  It's really not though... the story's a romance, and it's a little sappy, but the supernatural twist makes it interesting, and the mystery plot is great!  You've said you're not as anti-romance with real books as you are with Bsb fanfic, so if that's true, you may like it!

I can't believe there's not a movie version of The Guardian yet, because it would make a great movie!  It's more your speed than any other Nicholas Sparks book because it also has a good suspense storyline, along with the romance.  And the romance isn't overly sappy like some of his other books.  I've read a lot of his other books, but this is the only one I've loved enough to read more than once.
~Julie

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »

Sorry Julie!  I should have explained more than just the "well poop"!!! I do love your descriptions and the fact that you are going regional on us.  You put a lot of effort into this, Oprah of July.  I'm going to think about your selections before voting...but here are some initial thoughts... ;D

I am not a Twilighter...I have avoided those books like the plague so Mare's eye-sporking description really hit the nail on the head for me.  

Not a Stephen Kinger/horrorer/haunterer/supernaturaler/sci-fier...so although the description of Kissed by Angel peaked my interest, the supernatural element turned me off...so it is still in the running for the description.  Misery and Salem's Lot are out.  So are the brain eating centipedes and The Host...

I am a romancer...but I find Nicholas Sparks slightly cheesy sometimes and just because you like/write romance, doesn't mean you like the cheese!  But this is one I am considering too...

Not a historical fictioner at all...so A Latern in her Hand is out too...

So I guess that leaves me with Kissed by an Angel or The Guardian if I decide to play in July?  Sorry for the thinking outloud!  I am an avid reader (1-2 books a week on average), but a picky one at that, if you can't tell!  I'm going to think on this and then come back and vote!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 09:25:28 PM »

Really? LOL  I do agree with Darby, I love your theme idea.

None of the choices really popped out at me as an 'i'm excited to read that!" type book.

Like I said, I love SK but those two books happen to be some of my least favorites. I can't see myself ever willingly reading a Nicholas Sparks book. I am not a fan of historical fiction at all so I don't think i'd enjoy that one and the other two choices you have are Stephanie Myers books. lol

I really do hope no one chooses the Twilight one because I was serious as a heart attack about that one. My thought on it, is there's enough places to dicuss Twilight. There's even a thread on this forum somewhere where you're all more than welcome to talk about it to your heart's content. I would hate to watse a month on the hot mess that is New Moon which is supposed to be the worst of the series which I can only imagine how good that must be then lol

I guess I won't ban it, but if it wins or the other Stephanie Myers book, i'll probably be taking a break in July lol All the others, I might be willing to try.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 09:26:54 PM »

So I guess that leaves me with Kissed by an Angel or The Guardian if I decide to play in July?  Sorry for the thinking outloud!  I am an avid reader (1-2 books a week on average), but a picky one at that, if you can't tell!  I'm going to think on this and then come back and vote!

Good choices!  I'm okay with picky, cause I am too LOL.  Kissed By an Angel has a supernatural element, with the boyfriend dying and coming back as an angel, but that's basically the extent of it.  It's not weird supernatural at all.  The Guardian is the least cheesy of the Nicholas Sparks books I've read (and you're right; he's romantic, but slightly cheesy).  The characters are believable, and the relationship is cute and a little awkward and develops naturally, like you would expect it to in real life.  Both books are kind of similar in that they're the romance/suspense combo, and I think either one would be a good pick.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 09:29:38 PM »

I'd be willing to try the Nicholas Sparks one as well. I mean you can't always go by how bad the movie is to judge an author, right? I mean look at all of SK's movies compared to his books? And The Davinci Code! Excellent books, horrible movies.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 09:30:26 PM »

LOL fair enough, Mare.  Neither of the Stephenie Meyers books would be my top choice either, but I needed enough to go with my theme, and New Moon, at least, was my obvious choice for the Pacific Northwest... good ol' Forks, Washington LOL.  Vote for Kissed By an Angel if none of the other ones look like your cup of tea.

I just went through my bookshelves and pulled down a few favorites and tried to see how I could fit them into a theme.  I'm glad we did Harry Potter already, cause I wanted to include that and couldn't figure out how to tie it to the others.  I was thinking of doing fantasy as a theme before that, believe it or not!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 09:32:04 PM »

I'd be willing to try the Nicholas Sparks one as well. I mean you can't always go by how bad the movie is to judge an author, right? I mean look at all of SK's movies compared to his books? And The Davinci Code! Excellent books, horrible movies.

True.  Although actually, I loved the movie version of The Notebook WAY better than the book.  But A Walk to Remember?  Not so much.  The book is better.  The Guardian is way better than both of them.  I don't think I've seen any other Nicholas Sparks-based movies... the previews for Nights in Rodanthe made me want to vomit, so I didn't bother with that one LOL.

I thought about putting The DaVinci Code on the list, but it didn't fit the theme either.  That's one I would like to read again sometime... or Angels and Demons, which I haven't read.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »

ooh Angels and Demons would have been perfect since the movie just came out. I did like the Davinci Code better but most everyone else liked Angels and Demons over that one.

I'm going to wait to vote, just in case I have to vote against SM. Yes, I really do have a vendetta against her lmao

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 09:52:33 PM »

LMAO
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 11:34:26 PM »

The Host isn't bad guys, it's about alien posession, a twist on the body snatchers idea. And it's WAY better than the Twilight series. No whiny Bella type people, I swear lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 05:27:22 AM »

Eh, i'm done with Stephanie Myers. That sounds like it should be an action story and my cats can write action better than she can. Although I bet it is okay since her characters are so dull and one dimensional they seemed like they were invaded by the body snatchers in Twilight. lol Maybe as she was writing she got the books confused?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4