Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: How to Catch and unmask a plagiarist the fun continues...  (Read 32985 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
How to Catch and unmask a plagiarist the fun continues...
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:49:13 PM »

Here's a little story for everyone...

Once upon a time, Tonja decided to join the AC forum  ??? I know.... go figure? Just in case you don't know who we are talking about. She's the one who constantly steals other people's work. Taking credit for it, not owning up to it...then when found out, she goes into hiding only to turn up somewhere else and do it all over again. Tonja decided to make this one of her homes. She might have done this for several different reasons.

Reason 1. She was bored and felt like she needed some adventure in her life.
Reason 2. She thought we were all morons and wouldn't figure it out.
Reason 3. She just thought this looked like a nice place to hang not having ANY idea she was entering the lion's den.

Whatever the case, she joined and we sat and waited for the right opportunity to call her out. Just like we predicted, within the first week, she started to post stories that were not her own. Maybe it was crisis of conscience or perhaps she realized we were serious about catching plagairists, but she stopped doing that on here. However, her copycat antics haven't stopped at all.

Her SN on this and a few other forums is LuckyMe aka Jess. I know, she seems like a wonderful girl. She might be...who knows? But she is the ever elusive Tonja. The same one who has stolen all of the stories below...Read the list in amazement people. Julie was nice enough to compile this list for us. Just take a second, heck...you might even be on it! if you are SURPRISE!! And welcome to the club.  :-[

http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/tanja.html

The reason I decided to out her tonight, is because once again she's at it. This time she's resorting to use her twitter account to garner false praise. Her twitter SN is LuckyBailey. Please know anything this girl posts is not her own work. She shouldn't be allowed to get away with it anymore.

I know for a fact that lots of people come to this forum and will see this. Some of you might be friends with 'Jess'. That's great, but if you condone this kind of behavior, she'll never change. She doesn't think there's anything wrong with it. That's apparent by the MANY times she has been confronted on the issue.

So, 'Jess' we know it's you. I'm sure you know that. But be aware that EVERYONE will know it's you. We are going to send this list with your SN/IP address to all the forums we know including that stupid I heart horses one...what was the name of that one guys? lol

Games up! You're out!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 05:36:56 PM by julilly »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: How to Catch and unmask a plagiarist the fun continues...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 11:23:36 PM »

It is freaking RIDICULOUS that this girl has plagiarized AT LEAST 67 times THAT WE KNOW OF to date.  There may be many others on other forums, in other fandoms, that we haven't discovered yet.  She's long since moved on to other fandoms from Bsb, including Supernatural, Twilight, High School Musical... the list goes on.

I think it would be great if you guys spread the word on this girl to other fanfic sites you go to, other forums you post on, Twitter, everywhere!  Tanja's pattern is that she waits until she's called out somewhere, and then she disappears for awhile, and then she moves on to another forum or comes back to the SAME forum with a different screen name, and starts the whole plagiarizing process all over again!  She never seems to learn.  If we could spread the word to places she's been before or places she might go, we could catch her and stop her quicker.  And for the love of god, don't inadvertantly support this behavior by befriending her or giving her feedback on stolen work.  If you've been duped into doing so, let her know you're onto her and what you think about what she's doing.

If you do spread the word to other sites and forums, let us know which ones so we can see if there's any place we think of that hasn't been covered yet.

Thanks for helping the cause!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 11:28:18 PM »

What Julie said! lol.

LD is covered though.
http://talk.livedaily.com/showthread.php?t=667576
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:29:43 PM »

Holy crap....67 times?!?!?!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:42:30 PM »

Yep, it's ridiculous right?  >:(
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 12:04:02 AM »

Developing story!!  It gets juicier (it always does with Tanja LOL)!!!

I went over to Refresh to start a new thread there and call her out again, which is easier said than done because I want her to know EXACTLY who is calling her out, but my RokofAges75 screen name there is on permanent ban LOL.  Still!  So I had to get a new one.

Meanwhile, I noticed there is a new Supernatural fanfic board.  Since Tanja's into stealing SN fics now, I decided to scope out that board first.  There are only a few threads; apparently it's a brand new board.  The thread introducing it said something like, "I thought we needed this board, mostly for Jess's stories!"  There are no stories by "Jess" there yet, but "Jess" had posted and said, "Maybe they can move my stories over."  So I started looking at the other boards.  First board I went to was the "Other" category, and right off the bat, I noticed a Twilight fic by "Jess."  Put the first line into Google, and sure enough... we have another!!!

So I'm going to be going through Refresh and adding to my list tonight before I call her out there.  I'm sure it will be way over 70 by the time I'm done.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 12:15:49 AM »

Okay, that search only yielded one result... there must be some Supernatural fics she's plagiarized on there somewhere, but I went through every board and couldn't find anything, unless it dates back older than I thought it would.  Still, 68 counts of plagiarism is way more than plenty to warrant a complaint.

I think before I start a thread on Refresh, I'm going to go through the mods first this time... because if I post a link to the full list of stories she's plagiarized, I'll get banned again LOL.  And it's pointless without links of evidence showing that she plagiarized.  So I'll try the worthless mods first.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 12:30:14 AM »

This is the message I'm sending to the mods of the fanfic boards, Playbunny and Brit.  I'm making the effort to handle this the mature way first... and if they're as unhelpful as they were last time, then I'll make a big scene and get myself banned yet again. :)

Hello,

My name is Julie. I run a fanfiction website called Dreamer's Sanctuary. In 2006, stories from my website were plagiarized by a girl from Denmark named Tanja Nielsen on a different forum for Busted fanfics. Later that year, Tanja began plagiarizing other stories from a website called Absolute Chaos here on Refresh, in the McFly fanfic forum. Her username at the time was LuckyMe. I believe she has since been banned and most of the threads with plagiarism removed.

I want to inform you that this girl is back and has been plagiarizing stories across several fandoms on your website under a different username, ~ Jess ~. She began almost immediately after being banned under her old name, back in early 2007 I believe, and has been doing it ever since.

With the help of my fandom, I have been tracking her online for several months and have compiled a list of 68 counts of plagiarism this girl has committed over the past 3 years, many of which have taken place on Refresh. This list is complete with links to the threads in which the plagiarism was committed, as well as links to the original stories stolen. The list can be viewed here: http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/tanja.html

I ask that you not only ban all of this girl's usernames, but also her IP and email address, so that she cannot simply register again under another name. I also ask that you remove the threads she has started with plagiarized stories, and also make an announcement on the affected forums, explaining to your visitors what happened and why the stories were removed. Your readers deserve to know the truth and should be on the lookout, to prevent this type of incident from occurring again.

I thank you for your cooperation in this serious issue. I expect that, with the detailed evidence I have provided, this matter will be addressed and taken care of in a timely manner. If there's any way I can be of further assistance to you, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Julie Lewis

EDIT: Okay, it won't let me send a message longer than 2000 characters, so I had to edit down a bit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 12:37:42 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 01:07:04 AM »

I've also emailed fanfiction.net .  I'm not sure how much they can do, since as far as we know, she's not plagiarizing on their site, just taking stories from it.  But it'd be nice if they could do something to put the word out, since some of their members have been affected.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 01:17:09 AM »

Nicely done Julie. I was going to say that fanfict net would be another good place to send the mods an email.

I hope those refresh fools take it seriously this time.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 04:02:48 AM »

Hey ladies,

Wow that's a lot of stories!!! I feel weird, because I held a convo with her about her writing. She was supposed to send me a part of her new Supernatural story, and I totally forgot to look for it in my emails. She really has some nerve, if I were doing what she does, I'd be totally embarassed to talk to anyone about my stories. lol!!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 10:56:13 AM »

Don't feel bad; no one could be expected to know what she's doing, unless you know who she is.  Especially when she's plagiarizing Supernatural fics and just stealing them as is.  When she was taking the Bsb fics and changing them to Busted/McFly ones, that was a little more obvious because the changes were so awkward at times... but even then, she duped tons of people on those Busted forums.

When and if she does email you, try Googling the first line or so from her story and see what comes up.  Usually you can find the story she plagiarized that way.  Let us know if you do so we can add it to the list if it's a new one!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 01:00:06 PM »

She's ridiculous. To show up here and actually try to befriend some of us and then act as though she's the victim when she gets caught is really sick. I have some twitter direct messages from here that I'll send over to Julie when I get to a computer.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 01:03:22 PM »

What is Busted?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 01:12:50 PM »

Awesome, Steph!

Busted is/was a British teeny pop punk boyband, kind of like the Jonas Brothers?  They're not together anymore though.  I've only heard of them because I asked the same question - WTF is Busted?? - when Tanja started stealing our stories and changing them to Busted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuRAD5RR5AA
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6