Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: How to Catch and unmask a plagiarist the fun continues...  (Read 32972 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: How to Catch and unmask a plagiarist the fun continues...
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 06:56:57 AM »

OMG that's just awful!  I can't believe people actually have the nerve to steal someone else's hard work and try to pass it off as their own!  Well done on catching her out though, I wonder if she's stolen anything of mine, will have to try and find out.

She added me on Twitter, I just accepted because I noticed she was a BSB fan.  I'll be more careful who I add in future.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 09:27:08 AM »

OK, she's off Twitter now :)  I noticed her profile has disappeared.  How can I find out if she nicked any of my stories though?  I highly doubt she did, but I'd be pissed off to find out otherwise. 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 09:30:29 AM »

I just left you the list on Twitter :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 10:10:52 AM »

OMG that's just awful!  I can't believe people actually have the nerve to steal someone else's hard work and try to pass it off as their own!  Well done on catching her out though, I wonder if she's stolen anything of mine, will have to try and find out.

She added me on Twitter, I just accepted because I noticed she was a BSB fan.  I'll be more careful who I add in future.

LOL I was following her too, but more in case she did anything like this.  We knew who she was, but kept silent about it because we were waiting for her to dig her own grave before we buried her.  Otherwise we would have said something.  But you couldn't have known just based on what she had posted on Twitter, so don't feel bad.

Hope you saw the website by now - http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/tanja.html.  Can I add your name to the list of supporters at the bottom?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 10:11:16 AM »

So I wonder if she just deleted her profile and got a new one LOL.  That sounds like Tanja!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 11:34:41 AM »

So I got a response back from Playbunny, one of the mods on Refresh:

Hey.

Sorry for my late response.
In regards to Jess,we were told a while ago that she had stolen fics,i thought i had removed them all,so i apologise,that was my mistake.
She has not been back since she got discovered but i will delete her account anyway.
All i can ask is that if you do discover any threads or posts i have missed can you please direct me to them and ask any members or friends of yours that have joined here not to post links please.

Again all i can do is apologise.

---

Apparently she finds her own site even more user unfriendly than I do, because she deleted one thread - the one with the cuss-filled post I shared yesterday, hehe - but not the one that was right below it.  DER!  Oh well.  I don't care so much about the threads being taken down... I just want someone in authority on that site to make a statement and let their dumbass members know the truth!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:36:19 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 11:37:35 AM »

So I wrote this response back to her:

Hi,

Thank you for deleting Jess's account and removing some of the threads.

What you don't seem to get - and maybe I didn't explain it well enough, so if that's the case, I apologize - is that this Jess is the same person as LuckyMe, who had a big problem with plagiarism here back in 2006. A friend of mine had to physically mail a packet of proof from Canada to Jonathan in England to get him to remove the threads with plagiarized stories then, so I really appreciate you being more helpful.

I feel strongly that the users on this site deserve the truth about this girl, Tanja (a.k.a. LuckyMe, a.k.a. Jess). They have been duped by her. Some of them think they are her friends; others have enjoyed reading what they believed to be her stories. Some of them seem to be aware that Jess was banned for plagiarism, but none of this has been confirmed by anyone in authority on your website. I think you need to post an official statement, warning your users about this thief, not only to make an example out of a known plagiarizer, but to set the record straight on behalf of all the people Tanja has cheated by stealing stories and claiming them as her own.

You already have a platform to do this in the "PLEASE READ" thread you have stickied. It would be very easy for you to simply add another post to that thread, explaining what happened with LuckyMe and Jess. That way, your members can be on the lookout for future incidences of plagiarism by her or other members. Also, it will keep the victims of this plagiarism - the authors whose work was stolen - from feeling the need to come and add their own two cents. They are doing this because if they don't, there is no one to tell the truth. You can be that voice, and do it the way you'd like, calmly and professionally .

Thanks so much for your support and cooperation!

~Julie
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »

It appears she's now removed the other thread too... guess I caught her in the process of doing so.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 12:01:19 PM »

Glad you got her removed from there.  I checked the members on my site, but she doesn't appear to have joined it, thank god!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »

Very nice letter Julie. I hope they go ahead and do that.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 12:47:04 PM »

Progress!

Playbunny replied and asked how we knew it was the same girl, so I explained and gave her the link to the site again.

This is what she sent back!

Wow this girl is sad.

Ok thanks for the info,ill try and update the sticky tonight,if not it will be tomorrow.
In the meantime like i said if you find anymore threads of hers on here pass them to me,iv searched for them but tbh the system here is sh*t and now iv deleted her account,its alot harder.
Also please explain to your friends that their posts are gone as they were part of the threads iv deleted not because they were voicing their opinions.

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »

We've made some progress with helps_btv too.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 02:24:18 PM »

Omg, you guys are not going to believe this!  Especially Julilly!!

Playbunny PMed me again on Refresh and tipped me off to this little tidbit we never realized!  In one of the original threads we started over there, back in November 2006, bitching about Tanja plagiarizing as LuckyMe... Tanja came in and replied as JESS, several times!!!  We had no idea it was her at the time, but that little bitch was sitting around just playing along with us the whole time!

http://www.refresh.com/teen-chat/mcfly-fanfic/37005-plagiarism-second-time-5.html
~Julie

Frick24x

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 03:09:20 PM »

So, I was thinking (and sorry if I'm getting off topic here, but...), you know how on certain websites, when you scroll over something and try to copy the text or the picture or whatever, it won't let you?

Is there some kind of way to incorporate that feature into the AC site so that trying to plagiarize the stories would be harder? Or, do you even get what I'm talking about? lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 03:16:51 PM »

We've made some progress with helps_btv too.

how so? Does she finally believe us?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6