Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: How to Catch and unmask a plagiarist the fun continues...  (Read 32982 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: How to Catch and unmask a plagiarist the fun continues...
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2009, 06:21:24 PM »

I'm surprised they don't have a way to see that she had matching IPs
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2009, 06:22:34 PM »

It seemed like they didn't really cared at the time. Maybe now they'll pay more attention.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2009, 09:34:21 PM »

Captain Obvious here, but their site doesn't seem to be the most well run.  Playbunny said, "The reason i couldnt do this 3 years ago was i was just a mod,i didnt have the power,i know have admin rights so its easier for me to deal with this than go through "the powers that be"

It sounds like their mods are kind of clueless...
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2009, 02:16:00 AM »

Okay, who changed Tanja's location to "professional plagiarist"?  LMFAO!!!  That gave me quite the laugh at 2 a.m., thank you! ;D
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2009, 07:05:06 AM »

I do not know what you speak of? *smiles innocently* I changed that location long before we called her out. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »

LMAO I guess I hadn't looked her up!
~Julie

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »

yowza that's a lot of free time this chick has got. i feel sorry for her. if she's done it 67 times, she's using different IPs guys. just a heads up. like the computers on school for example. different IPs. computer cafes, etc. she's going to keep doing it. this is just crazy crazy.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2009, 02:51:23 PM »

^ You would think she was using different IPs, but she really did plagiarize 68 times over like only four accounts...  one on the original Busted forum we found her on... two on Refresh... and one on Twitter.  She had one here too, but she bailed before she got too far with the plagiarism.  The only reason she changed her account on Refresh was because they banned her first account... but they must have only banned the username, not the IP address, because she got a new account right away and kept at it, and no one knew.

The good news is, she's in Denmark, and her new trick is to lie about where she's from - she'll say she's from England or Holland or wherever - but her IP, even if it does change like you said, traces back to Denmark, so that's a pretty good giveaway.
~Julie

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »

This is all too weird. She's going to keep doing this. It isn't like its happened once or twice. She believes she can do this and she won't pay. Really, is there anything more sad? I saw her facebook. Private. Go figure. But she used her real name when I googled it. Point is, there's really no way to stop her if she's using different IPs. But its doable. The lawsuit seemed to scare her. Keep pushing that. All the authors should ban together and defame her at any cost. She clearly thinks she can get away with this, but you guys are on the right track. Best of luck to you and I wanna be on that list as well. I still can't believe all the stories, my god...
My Stories
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2009, 09:09:05 PM »

She's not using different IPs. That's one reason it's been so easy to walk in her cyber footsteps. She's not that smart to think to move her computer somewhere else.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2009, 09:17:02 PM »

I'll add you to the list, Mariah, thanks! :)
~Julie

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2009, 09:43:57 PM »

How do you know shes not? Just asking as its so hard to track and stop her. She has to be doing this in clever ways. Thanks Julie!  ;D
My Stories

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2009, 09:47:05 PM »

Up until this point she's been fairly obvious about it.  Now that we've caught her so many times, she might have learned.  She at least stopped using Bsb fanfics... maybe next time she'll think about changing her username too.  The thing is, even if she makes it harder for us to trace her, as long as she keeps copy/pasting other people's stories on public forums or websites, she's bound to get caught eventually.  Someone is going to come along who will recognize a story she's stolen and let the author know, or the author will Google and find it.  She can only get away with plagiarism for so long, and the more she does it, and the more word gets out and people turn against her, the harder time she's going to have finding places where she can get away with it.
~Julie

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2009, 10:04:24 PM »

Lets hope that's the case and she's changed. Its just downright disgusting behavior.
My Stories

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2009, 10:05:43 PM »

I don't think she's ever going to change. I just think she's going to eventually run out of options.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6